• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Aroldis Chapman, the Babe Ruth of pitchers.

ukyah

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/158351170/byung-ho-park-twins-set-for-meeting

you have to scroll down on the link or click the side header.

"Since the start of Chapman's first full season in 2011, 51 pitchers have combined to throw 2,292 pitches of 100 mph or more. Thirty of those pitchers just barely made the cut, doing so five times or fewer. Only seven have done it 50 times; only four have done so 100 times. The pitcher in second place, Kelvin Herrera, has hit triple digits an impressive 249 times. That sounds like a lot, until you realize how many times Chapman has done it: 1,212, and that's not a typo."

those are some crazy numbers.

Edited by ukyah

Chapman's career ERA as a reliever is 2.29 in 319 innings.

Babe Ruth as a starter 2.28 in 1,221 innings.

When Chapman hits 714 home runs then let's make a comparison.

your lack of humor is your blah blah blah. 

ruth hit more homeruns in a season than any other team twice. chapman has thrown more 100 mph pitches than anybody else combined. 

Chapman's career ERA as a reliever is 2.29 in 319 innings.

Babe Ruth as a starter 2.28 in 1,221 innings.

When Chapman hits 714 home runs then let's make a comparison.

Of course the comparison is silly, but comparing ERAs from the 1910s and 2010s is silly also. Chapman's career ERA+ is 181, Ruth's is 122.

Chapman managed to change my mind about relievers.  When the Red won the bidding, my initial reaction was negative.  I thought to myself, wow, 30 million for a reliever with almost no sense of where the ball is going.  That's stupid.  I mean how many RP's are there that can throw hard and miss the strike zone?  Too many, and most of them are in the minors. 

Chapman ended up dominating to such a degree that 30 million across 6 years is a steal.  I mean an average of 5 million a year, that's what we're paying Joe Smith.  And while Joe Smith is pretty good, he's no Chapman.

So now, I live in a world where 30 million for a RP doesn't seem too outlandish.  

Chapman managed to change my mind about relievers.  When the Red won the bidding, my initial reaction was negative.  I thought to myself, wow, 30 million for a reliever with almost no sense of where the ball is going.  That's stupid.  I mean how many RP's are there that can throw hard and miss the strike zone?  Too many, and most of them are in the minors. 

Chapman ended up dominating to such a degree that 30 million across 6 years is a steal.  I mean an average of 5 million a year, that's what we're paying Joe Smith.  And while Joe Smith is pretty good, he's no Chapman.

So now, I live in a world where 30 million for a RP doesn't seem too outlandish.  

Well it isn't outlandish...for an outlandish reliever. Chapman is probably one of the best relievers ever. Off the top of my head I can only think of a few who have been similarly dominating: Craig Kimbrel, Eric Gagne for a few years, Mariano Rivera (although he was never this unhittable), Dennis Eckersley.

ruth hit more homeruns in a season than any other team twice. chapman has thrown more 100 mph pitches than anybody else combined. 

listen guys, if all we have is the lowest common denominator, then what's the point of bothering to talk to you? i'm trying to give the community the benefit of the doubt that they actually know baseball and it's history. you see, in this light, it becomes comparable because of what i quoted above.

i'm not comparing the two as players, you friggin' 'tards.

Edited by ukyah

Et tu, Lou? Are we really taking the comparison seriously? I think ukyah was understandably excited about an amazing stat. No need for the Literalism Police to go after him.

Some members live for it and are allowed to do it over and over without anyone pulling them to the side and telling them to knock it off.

165.jpg

True, but it doesn't in any way diminish the point I made. A 2.28 ERA is very different now than it was 100 years ago.

Is it any different than that of the last 20 years? If not then Mariano Rivera is the Ruth of closers, in 2008 he had an ERA+ of 316 and 19 year career of 2.21 ERA.

Chapman is one of the most entertaining pitchers I've ever watched. It's not just his huge heater, he throws a devastating slider as well. 

The guy has struck out 42.9% of the batters he's faced in his career and has a .153 batting average against. He's purely dominant. He's going to make some serious bank next offseason. 

i must be getting trolled by the entirety of angelswin. 

for the love of god, just one person tell me that they understand why i called chapman the ruth of pitchers, in jest no less. 

i've already spelled it out. notti, you can't be this dense.