• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels hire Eppler as GM

I was excited about the Dipoto hire.  I was optimistic that Scioscia only ran things because Reagins had no business being a GM and was spineless. Diptoto was a real GM and actually looked like he could handle the job.  Now that we know how much power Scioscia really has, forgive me if I'm not excited this time around.  Scioscia is still running things for at least another 4 years and that's tough to fathom.

I was excited about the Dipoto hire.  I was optimistic that Scioscia only ran things because Reagins had no business being a GM and was spineless. Diptoto was a real GM and actually looked like he could handle the job.  Now that we know how much power Scioscia really has, forgive me if I'm not excited this time around.  Scioscia is still running things for at least another 4 years and that's tough to fathom.

I'll forgive you for not being excited.  Can you be a little more specific though, what is Scioscia running that he shouldn't be running?  If we find that out, then we can ask Fletcher to ask Arte who is responsible for making the decisions in that regard, Eppler or Scioscia?

One good thing is that Eppler knows what it feels like to have overbearing owners interfering with their plans.  He might have greater flexibility on a personal level in that sense. 

Because, let's face it, there's not much difference between Moreno and dead old man and now his kids Steinbrenner, if you know what I mean. 

I'm glad Arte is willing to spend, but the field manager / gm power thing is weird.  How many other organizations are like this?

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/angels-686267-moreno-scioscia.html

Actually there are quite a few.  Boston just put Hazen in as GM, and their manager doesn't report to him.  There was an article on this subject recently, but I can't find it now.  It's a nebulous thing anyway, because baseball operations are generally private businesses, they don't need to disclose who reports to who, or exactly what the relationships are.  It's something the public doesn't necessarily need to know, even though we think we need to know it.

At the presser today, it was stated that Eppler reports directly to Arte.  I thought maybe it might be Carpino.  The Angels also stated in a press statement earlier last week that they wouldn't seek two guys, one as President of Baseball Operations and the other as GM like some other organization have done.  The said they would hire a GM only, and they did.

Edited by tomsred

I'll forgive you for not being excited.  Can you be a little more specific though, what is Scioscia running that he shouldn't be running?  If we find that out, then we can ask Fletcher to ask Arte who is responsible for making the decisions in that regard, Eppler or Scioscia?

you're asking for a standard that can't be met. there's no transparency in baseball, but there is more than enough quotes and doublespeak from numerous parties to get an extremely clear picture of what is actually going on behind the scenes, which is that scioscia and his coaches are running this show the way they want to and that includes the FO yes men. in fact, i'd say the angels organization has greater transparency than the other mlb clubs specifically because of all this drama.

just so there's no confusion, it's not even about eppler's qualities at all, he's here to serve as the head of the angels FO and he'll get nothing done without mike's approval. the front office will make suggestions to inform the coach's decisions, and in my mind that's a disaster.

Edited by ukyah