• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Matresses

Stradling

Ok, I am in the market for a new matress. My current matress is a Sterns and Foster but it is about 15 years old. We may have had threads like this before, but I am too lazy to look them up. I don't want anything special, but I do want a quality matress and I am willing to pay for it. I just don't want to pay more than I have too for that quality. So, what do you guys have, would you recommend it, and where would you recommend buying it from. I would prefer to spend less than $2500 for the matress and box spring, but that isn't a hard budget.

Ok, I am in the market for a new matress. My current matress is a Sterns and Foster but it is about 15 years old. We may have had threads like this before, but I am too lazy to look them up. I don't want anything special, but I do want a quality matress and I am willing to pay for it. I just don't want to pay more than I have too for that quality. So, what do you guys have, would you recommend it, and where would you recommend buying it from. I would prefer to spend less than $2500 for the matress and box spring, but that isn't a hard budget.

That's a high budget. Mattress mark-up is insane. Have you thought about Costco's tempurpedic option?

That's a high budget. Mattress mark-up is insane. Have you thought about Costco's tempurpedic option?

I know the mark ups are crazy on mattresses, but I want something that is comfortable, with good quality, that will last me another 10-15 years. I haven't thought of Costco because I know nothing about them.

I know the mark ups are crazy on mattresses, but I want something that is comfortable, with good quality, that will last me another 10-15 years. I haven't thought of Costco because I know nothing about them.

Take a look at memory foam mattresses and check them out. Any brand is pretty much the same because, IIRC, they use the same tech on license from NASA. Tempurpedic is the expensive name brand marketing machine. Try one from Costco for like $700 and if you don't like it take it back. It's not for everyone but it is really hurting the mattress industry because of cost and a different type of comfort. I feel like it traps heat a bit more than a conventional mattress which may or may not be a problem for the end user.

the most comfortable mattress i've ever slept on was a waterbed. just can't beat the comfort.

we'd had it for a while and came into some money so we decided to upgrade. we dumped ours for a sleep number bed and regretted it within a week. 

the tempurpedic is nice. if i could get one now i'd probably spring for the mattresses that elevate so you can sleep a little more upright.

I bought a king, firm, pillow-top Beautyrest from Macys earlier this year.

I don't know which model offhand, but it was one with the most positive customer reviews.

If you sign up for a Macys credit card, they'll give you a decent discount, like around 10%

I went with firm since I have heard that the more luxurious ones can get lumpy over time.

No complaints so far. Price delivered was something around $1,800

the mattress i have is insane.

was at a swanky hotel in sonoma, and loved it so much i wanted one for myself.

turns out you cant just get a model number and buy a mattress from anyone, they are specific to the seller and buyer.

so i worked with the hotel and they talked to their contacts to have one made for me, and had it delivered to my place.

it's f*cking insane.

by far the best mattress we've ever slept on in our entire lives.

can get you the info if you want. 

the mattress i have is insane.

was at a swanky hotel in sonoma, and loved it so much i wanted one for myself.

turns out you cant just get a model number and buy a mattress from anyone, they are specific to the seller and buyer.

so i worked with the hotel and they talked to their contacts to have one made for me, and had it delivered to my place.

it's f*cking insane.

by far the best mattress we've ever slept on in our entire lives.

can get you the info if you want. 

Funny. I did something similar and got the hotel mattress. They put me in touch with their vendor and had one delivered to my house. I added a tempurpedic-like topper to it last year. 

Agreed on the hotel hook up. My mom came back from vacation at some high end place and raved about the mattress so I bought one through their vendor for her. Wish I did something similar for myself but had a new mattress.

The negative to the temperpedic is heat. I spend more time on the couch because it gets hot in the middle of the night

Tuft and Needle makes a great mattress without gouging you on the price.  $600 for a queen, free shipping.  After a year, no complaints.  They are made locally in Cerritos. 

They have a 100-day free trial -- if you don't like it, the mattress gets donated to a charity and you get a full refund. 

https://www.tuftandneedle.com/mattress

www.themattressunderground.com

I looked carefully for mine cause they're expensive and I didn't want to make a mistake.  Lots of information here and also some locations of local custom shops where they'll make it to whatever specifications you want.  Located throughout SoCal.  Expensive? Yeah, but they might have something that works for you.

I ended up with this:  http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Dreams-Eurotop-Latex-Mattress/dp/B008KQ8YZO/ref=sr_1_17?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1443657653&sr=1-17&keywords=ultimate+dreams+mattress

I took a risk buying without testing(which I almost NEVER do), but it turned out great.  Best mattress I've ever owned and it's a pretty good price.  It doesn't have a box, so you will have to add that to the price.  Once you purchase, the owner calls and asks you about how stiff you want it (he he he).  He can really set it up so that you get it exactly how you want it.  While you're on the phone, ask him about a base.  Takes about a week.  Comes in a long box compressed.  It's very strange.  Open it on the bed cause it's pretty heavy and then let it off gas for a day or so.  Throw some sheets on and give it a ride!  Oh yeah, like others suggest, it does affect the bedtime action.  More work required on your part since it absorbes energy and motion. 

Hey Stradling, box springs are being phased out nowadays.  It's the new trend with foam/latex/whatever materials because the box spring isn't needed for comfort. 

That means you'll probably need a new platform bed frame to better support the mattress.  That's actually an advantage if you get one with drawers for storage space, like these:

white-wood-bed-frames-ks419rbu.jpeg

king-platform-bed-frame-with-storage-l-4

the most comfortable mattress i've ever slept on was a waterbed. just can't beat the comfort.

we'd had it for a while and came into some money so we decided to upgrade. we dumped ours for a sleep number bed and regretted it within a week. 

the tempurpedic is nice. if i could get one now i'd probably spring for the mattresses that elevate so you can sleep a little more upright.

Last time we visited SoCal we stayed in a hotel that had Sleep Number mattresses. I couldn't tell much difference when I changed the settings, and it was nothing special to sleep on. Even bearing in mind that hotel mattresses live a rough existence, I walked away less than impressed.

Bought a King mattress from Sam's Club with a pillow top 2 years ago. Around $7-800. Very comfortable and does not get hot in the summer which is important where we live. Would buy again. I believe it's a Serta

Just bought a mattress at Amazon for my daughter 2 months ago. Full size with box spring. Around $385 with tax and delivered. Firm mattress and good quality. Read the reviews before buying and they seem to be accurate.

Strad, I bought a king beautyrest world class tiegan luxury firm two weeks ago (from Macy's). I have had beautyrest (or Simmons, I should say; but I think it is the same company) mattresses in the past, with good luck.

But here is the thing: the firm mattress on the Macy's showroom felt good because it is getting laid on (and softened up) hundreds of times a day, and has possibly been on the showroom for over a year. We didn't quite consider that when deciding to go with the firm mattress. The mattress we got feels like concrete - nothing like the one we tested at Macy's.

Finally, don't buy from a place like O.C. Mattress. They mark up their product big time and rip you off. Just buy from Macy's or Sears. We paid about $1,600 for a king with box, delivered, so the price wasn't terrible.