• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dipoto on signing Hamilton

m0nkey

you guys act like you've never been in a bad situation or relationship. the switch just flips, suddenly. you go from tolerating it, to being totally fed up in an instant. it's the old straw that broke the camels back.

i don't blame dipoto for quitting when he did, it just verified the toxicity of the relationship for me. the guy had been through the ringer, handled it professionally for years, but one day the pujols thing happened and that was the last of his patience. he said, life is short enough, **** this shit.

you guys act like you've never been in a bad situation or relationship. the switch just flips, suddenly. you go from tolerating it, to being totally fed up in an instant. it's the old straw that broke the camels back.

i don't blame dipoto for quitting when he did, it just verified the toxicity of the relationship for me. the guy had been through the ringer, handled it professionally for years, but one day the pujols thing happened and that was the last of his patience. he said, life is short enough, **** this shit.

Ha. You can't be serious.

Here, let me help you:

"... but one day  3.5 years after the pujols thing happened and that was the last of his patience "

Ha. You can't be serious.

Here, let me help you:

"... but one day  3.5 years after the pujols thing happened and that was the last of his patience "

you misunderstand me. i'm not talking about the pujols signing. i'm talking about the day he quit his job and the widely reported pujols blow up. also, i don't treat you like you're stupid, so do me the same courtesy.

Sure i have.  Guess what i did?  Honored my signed committment.

honestly lou, in all seriousness. anyone who says they've never broken a contract...has never signed a contract. you can act like you're above it or maybe that you come from a different time, but in truth, you aren't. you're like everybody else here and if you're pushed far enough you'll defend yourself and your happiness, even if that means breaking an agreement, because most likely you'll feel that they broke the agreement first. it may be a personal fiction, but it's a reason, none the less.

you misunderstand me. i'm not talking about the pujols signing. i'm talking about the day he quit his job and the widely reported pujols blow up. also, i don't treat you like you're stupid, so do me the same courtesy.

that's been addressed already.

I also didn't mean for my response to make you feel like i was treating you as if you were stupid. I know you're not.

I misunderstood your comment and admitted as much. 

honestly lou, in all seriousness. anyone who says they've never broken a contract...has never signed a contract. you can act like you're above it or maybe that you come from a different time, but in truth, you aren't. you're like everybody else here and if you're pushed far enough you'll defend yourself and your happiness, even if that means breaking an agreement, because most likely you'll feel that they broke the agreement first. it may be a personal fiction, but it's a reason, none the less.

Sorry, but i have never broken a signed employment contract.

Jerry Dipoto didn't quit because of Mike Scioscia.  

He had a very good understanding of the dynamic from the moment he walked through the door.  He knew that Scioscia was the field general and had Arte's ear when it came to certain things.  He knew that Arte liked to get involved and be the ultimate influence/decision maker in certain player personnel decisions.  He knew he was going to have to work around those things among others.  But he had never been a gm and certainly wasn't going to pass up the opportunity to get that rare title.  He made the choice to navigate the dysfunction with the thought that he could still have a positive impact on this team.  

His handling of Hatcher tells us that he had some power over Scioscia and it's pretty clear he had roster control albeit outside of Arte's big ticket items.  He also had control of who was in charge of scouting and player development although that was another thing that required navigating around Arte's influence.  

To his own detriment, he came into a new situation and tried to exert his influence only to create an adversarial relationship with a manager that was known to have the owners ear or at least have veto power over things that affected what happened on the field.  That's really not a smart move even if it should be within the scope of your job description.  

So he does a solid job in managing the external factors and putting together a team that wins 98 games once he gets a little more leeway to make the moves he wants.  

All the while, his obvious goal is to do whatever he can to help put together a team than can win while building a farm system.  

Progressively, he sees opportunities for improvement that he isn't allowed to act upon and the frustration mounts but he maintains his composure with the thought that he's doing what he does for the team and players.  

He makes another untimely political misstep and tries to force information upon a portion of the franchise where his influence is limited.  He knows it is, but he tries anyway and he's rebuffed yet he takes it a step further and tries to bypass MS only to learn that those he thought at least supported his efforts didn't respect him and took offense to attempted influence.  They hold him to task and speak out against him which is relatively unprecedented for players to do to a GM regardless of whether that GM has overstepped his bounds by coming into the clubhouse.  

The reason they do so is that they don't respect him because the dynamic that has been created by the owner has made that possible to do without recourse.  So he looks around and realizes that he's been sticking it out for an owner, manager and team.  None of who respect him or what he's trying to do.  

He is complicit in the erosion of the situation, but perfectly justified in not wanting to be a part of it  from that point forward.  

He didn't quit because of Mike Scioscia.  He quit because he lost the respect (or never had it) of the people he was working so hard for and all the reasons he was sticking it out went away in that moment.  

A big part of the Dipoto drama thats being ignored IMO is the fact he was General Manager of a baseball team. I don't care what the circumstances are, what future HOF manager is busting your balls, the 125M player an owner "forced" you to sign, the fact you only have one of the best players in baseball on the roster, etc. All of those things are imaginary stress in an imaginary world. You get to be GM of a professional baseball team, a dream for millions of Americans, and you proceeded to quit in the middle of the season. 

People can point to the net gain trades he made and I can't argue that. But there is something off about a guy who has a dream job to just up and quit, leaving a team and it's fan base ****ed at the trade deadline. 

Talented or not he's Benedict Arnold in my book.

A dream? lol. It's a job not xbox. It has real stresses, not imaginary of any sort.

yeah, yeah, we know

He had a very good understanding of the dynamic from the moment he walked through the door. He knew that Scioscia was the field general and had Arte's ear when it came to certain things. He knew that Arte liked to get involved and be the ultimate influence/decision maker in certain player personnel decisions. He knew he was going to have to work around those things among others. But he had never been a gm and certainly wasn't going to pass up the opportunity to get that rare title. He made the choice to navigate the dysfunction with the thought that he could still have a positive impact on this team.

His handling of Hatcher tells us that he had some power over Scioscia and it's pretty clear he had roster control albeit outside of Arte's big ticket items. He also had control of who was in charge of scouting and player development although that was another thing that required navigating around Arte's influence.

To his own detriment, he came into a new situation and tried to exert his influence only to create an adversarial relationship with a manager that was known to have the owners ear or at least have veto power over things that affected what happened on the field. That's really not a smart move even if it should be within the scope of your job description.

So he does a solid job in managing the external factors and putting together a team that wins 98 games once he gets a little more leeway to make the moves he wants.

All the while, his obvious goal is to do whatever he can to help put together a team than can win while building a farm system.

Progressively, he sees opportunities for improvement that he isn't allowed to act upon and the frustration mounts but he maintains his composure with the thought that he's doing what he does for the team and players.

He makes another untimely political misstep and tries to force information upon a portion of the franchise where his influence is limited. He knows it is, but he tries anyway and he's rebuffed yet he takes it a step further and tries to bypass MS only to learn that those he thought at least supported his efforts didn't respect him and took offense to attempted influence. They hold him to task and speak out against him which is relatively unprecedented for players to do to a GM regardless of whether that GM has overstepped his bounds by coming into the clubhouse.

The reason they do so is that they don't respect him because the dynamic that has been created by the owner has made that possible to do without recourse. So he looks around and realizes that he's been sticking it out for an owner, manager and team. None of who respect him or what he's trying to do.

He is complicit in the erosion of the situation, but perfectly justified in not wanting to be a part of it from that point forward.

He didn't quit because of Mike Scioscia. He quit because he lost the respect (or never had it) of the people he was working so hard for and all the reasons he was sticking it out went away in that moment.

This is such a great post.

He had a very good understanding of the dynamic from the moment he walked through the door. He knew that Scioscia was the field general and had Arte's ear when it came to certain things. He knew that Arte liked to get involved and be the ultimate influence/decision maker in certain player personnel decisions. He knew he was going to have to work around those things among others. But he had never been a gm and certainly wasn't going to pass up the opportunity to get that rare title. He made the choice to navigate the dysfunction with the thought that he could still have a positive impact on this team.

His handling of Hatcher tells us that he had some power over Scioscia and it's pretty clear he had roster control albeit outside of Arte's big ticket items. He also had control of who was in charge of scouting and player development although that was another thing that required navigating around Arte's influence.

To his own detriment, he came into a new situation and tried to exert his influence only to create an adversarial relationship with a manager that was known to have the owners ear or at least have veto power over things that affected what happened on the field. That's really not a smart move even if it should be within the scope of your job description.

He makes another untimely political misstep and tries to force information upon a portion of the franchise where his influence is limited. He knows it is, but he tries anyway and he's rebuffed yet he takes it a step further and tries to bypass MS only to learn that those he thought at least supported his efforts didn't respect him and took offense to attempted influence. They hold him to task and speak out against him which is relatively unprecedented for players to do to a GM regardless of whether that GM has overstepped his bounds by coming into the clubhouse.

The reason they do so is that they don't respect him because the dynamic that has been created by the owner has made that possible to do without recourse. So he looks around and realizes that he's been sticking it out for an owner, manager and team. None of who respect him or what he's trying to do.

He is complicit in the erosion of the situation, but perfectly justified in not wanting to be a part of it from that point forward.

He didn't quit because of Mike Scioscia. He quit because he lost the respect (or never had it) of the people he was working so hard for and all the reasons he was sticking it out went away in that moment.

This post is pretty darn accurate. Although, I don't buy the lost respect reason for quitting. If anything, I believe Dipoto showed a lack of respect for Scioscia and his coaches. He tried to force his will on them and got stopped by his superiors. This is why I believe he quit.

Dipoto got in the way of Scioscia trying to do his job .... the same way Arte got in Dipoto's way trying to do his job.

Scioscia doesn't strike me as a controversial person. He's just trying to win on a daily basis the best way he knows how.

That was a good post by Doc. Not sure I understand this statement:

The reason they do so is that they don't respect him because the dynamic that has been created by the owner has made that possible to do without recourse.

But I agree, the majority of the problem was Dipoto's own doing.  Maybe he was so embarrassed or ashamed that he saw no other option but to quit immediately.