• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dipoto on signing Hamilton

m0nkey

you don't watch many movies, do you? it's an expression of your unwavering strength of character.

actually, i do. Which movies are you talkling about? I remember there was a line in Stripes from Harold Ramis about being an acorn who grows up to be an oak (or something similar)

Edited by Lou

This post is pretty darn accurate. Although, I don't buy the lost respect reason for quitting. If anything, I believe Dipoto showed a lack of respect for Scioscia and his coaches. He tried to force his will on them and got stopped by his superiors. This is why I believe he quit.

Dipoto got in the way of Scioscia trying to do his job .... the same way Arte got in Dipoto's way trying to do his job.

Scioscia doesn't strike me as a controversial person. He's just trying to win on a daily basis the best way he knows how.

Scioscia doesn't strike you as a controversial person?

A big part of the Dipoto drama thats being ignored IMO is the fact he was General Manager of a baseball team. I don't care what the circumstances are, what future HOF manager is busting your balls, the 125M player an owner "forced" you to sign, the fact you only have one of the best players in baseball on the roster, etc. All of those things are imaginary stress in an imaginary world. You get to be GM of a professional baseball team, a dream for millions of Americans, and you proceeded to quit in the middle of the season. 

People can point to the net gain trades he made and I can't argue that. But there is something off about a guy who has a dream job to just up and quit, leaving a team and it's fan base ****ed at the trade deadline. 

Talented or not he's Benedict Arnold in my book.

I guess you would rather Dipoto sit there in his office and do nothing but wait out the season? Because chances are if he didn't want to be there anymore and hated his working environment, that's what would have happened.

I guess you would rather Dipoto sit there in his office and do nothing but wait out the season? Because chances are if he didn't want to be there anymore and hated his working environment, that's what would have happened.

if so, that's a major character flaw in JD

btw, i don't think he would ever sit there and do nothing

Here's my 2 cents. Teams in the AL West may be particularly sensitive to certain things after watching the media-proclaimed gift to general managing who resides up the road devour the team with the best record in baseball mid-season and probably hear the stories about how he overrules his field manager and castrates him at will;

I believe the Angels players, having witnessed this happen to their rival, were particularly sensitive to a GM trying to bypass the field manager and told him as much.

I'm not saying what Dipoto told Chuck isn't true.

I believe what he told him was an obvious lie for PR reasons.

Occam's razor, Poozy. The only PR resource is the press not a private conversation. What you are reading in the LA Times story is read by his new employer and the general public, what he told Chuck is heard by no one else. 

Yeah, okay!!

Arte is so bad as an owner that he is on the verge of making the playoffs...................wait for it...................................................................AGAIN!!!

Try to appreciate this run of success. Those of us from the 70's and 80's are still suffering from those growing pains.

Go Halos!!!

That was a good post by Doc. Not sure I understand this statement:

The reason they do so is that they don't respect him because the dynamic that has been created by the owner has made that possible to do without recourse.

But I agree, the majority of the problem was Dipoto's own doing.  Maybe he was so embarrassed or ashamed that he saw no other option but to quit immediately.

There is usually deference to the general manager by the players and coaches.  For the Angels, the organizational hierarchy has the manager and GM on equal ground.  So if a player or coach speaks out against the gm to his face then the manager will support him.  Since the manager holds the amount of power he does, it weakens the GM's standing and puts him on an island.  It also creates controversy within the org from top to bottom.  Are you on team Dipoto or team Scioscia.  Normally there would be a cohesive chain of command.  This was lord of the flies and Dipoto was Simon.  

Edited by Dochalo

if so, that's a major character flaw in JD

btw, i don't think he would ever sit there and do nothing

I know you are not like that, but most people, if they hate their working environment and/or coworkers and don't have any motivation to help the company they work for would not work as hard as they would if the circumstances were ideal. 

So maybe nothing is extreme, but I wouldn't want Dipoto to stick around if he was going to do a half ass job, trading just to trade, knowing he isn't going much longer nor does he want to be here.

People talk about Dipoto as if he had some $15 per hour job that he can just walk away from if his manager is a dick.

When a guy is being paid 7 figures it's expected that he will be a professional and use management skills to work through issues and get the job done.

People talk about Dipoto as if he had some $15 per hour job that he can just walk away from if his manager is a dick.

When a guy is being paid 7 figures it's expected that he will be a professional and use management skills to work through issues and get the job done.

Why are you still beating this into the ground.  It did NOTHING to affect him.  He got another GM job within a matter of months.  It was obviously okay what he did.  If it was so devastating like you and others here seem to believe, he wouldn't have been a GM again any time soon if at all.  Move on with your life and realize you were and are wrong. He couldn't work through issues because Scioscia is not a typical manager.  Arte is in love with Scioscia and whatever he says goes.

You don't think he was professional because he parted ways with the franchise at a "bad" time even though it's never a good time when things don't work out.  It's no more professional in my book for him to stick around as a powerless figurehead just to collect a paycheck. Also if pay scale dictated how people should act we should expect a hell of a lot more out of professional athletes.    

You don't think he was professional because he parted ways with the franchise at a "bad" time even though it's never a good time when things don't work out.  It's no more professional in my book for him to stick around as a powerless figurehead just to collect a paycheck. Also if pay scale dictated how people should act we should expect a hell of a lot more out of professional athletes.    

Yes it would have been better for him to stick around for 3 more months until the end of the season.

If you don't recognize the difference between professional athletes and professional executives then there's really nothing else that can be said.

But he managed to find another job, good for him.

Why is it unprofessional to resign mid-season? Would it be unprofessional for the Angels to fire him mid-season?  He had a contract, so they should honor it, no?  Of course not.  

If the situation isn't working, and becoming toxic, it is better to end it as soon as possible before things get worse.  For either the team or the GM.  

To say Arte's in love with Scioscia is WRONG. Arte is committed to Scioscia by contract for another three years ($15M). Arte was smart of enough to keep Scioscia in place and thinking about the team first. Now this team has a good chance making the playoffs ... changing managers would of been suicide for the team. You guys can keep hating Scioscia until your balls turn blue but your opinion don't really matter in the scheme of things.

Go Angel baseball

Occam's razor, Poozy. The only PR resource is the press not a private conversation. What you are reading in the LA Times story is read by his new employer and the general public, what he told Chuck is heard by no one else. 

If it was private we wouldn't know about it.

Edited by Poozy

Why is it unprofessional to resign mid-season? Would it be unprofessional for the Angels to fire him mid-season? He had a contract, so they should honor it, no? Of course not.

If the situation isn't working, and becoming toxic, it is better to end it as soon as possible before things get worse. For either the team or the GM.

Well if the Angels fired him midseason the Angels would continue to pay him his salary so it is entirely different. I was and am a big Dipoto fan, but he left at a bad time, period.

There is usually deference to the general manager by the players and coaches.  For the Angels, the organizational hierarchy has the manager and GM on equal ground.  So if a player or coach speaks out against the gm to his face then the manager will support him.  Since the manager holds the amount of power he does, it weakens the GM's standing and puts him on an island.  It also creates controversy within the org from top to bottom.  Are you on team Dipoto or team Scioscia.  Normally there would be a cohesive chain of command.  This was lord of the flies and Dipoto was Simon.  

It kind of reminds me of a boss I used to have who would constantly talk down to my supervisor. It would completely undermine the supervisor's authority because we had already heard management disrespecting his job performance.

If it was private we wouldn't know about it.

Chuck never offered direct quotes, just broad strokes.

Dipoto needs to present himself as a guy that gets along with all facets if an organization which includes the coaching staff so creative history is what was presented, one the Angels won't contest because it doesn't harm them.

He needed to distance himself from the worst signing in Angels history using a deflection to Moreno. If he wasn't on board he should have done a better job either counselling Moreno to not make the deal or make a better deal than a five year overpay to a free agent that wasn't getting competitive offers.

This is a resume rewrite to sell Seattle fans that they are getting an upgrade over their last failed GM and the predecessors that fared no better.

Edited by notti

Yes it would have been better for him to stick around for 3 more months until the end of the season.

If you don't recognize the difference between professional athletes and professional executives then there's really nothing else that can be said.

But he managed to find another job, good for him.

The main difference is the job they do.  They're people just like the rest of us except they're highly skilled and highly paid.  Plenty of big wig highly paid executives have been unprofessional assholes (Steve Jobs was an unprofessional asshole depending on who you asked) and likewise plenty of highly paid athletes are viewed as leaders and held to a different standard.  Pujols had no problem undermining the GM while essentially calling some of the roster garbage in front of the team yet he's considered a leader.  Torii Hunter is a leader yet he stuck his foot in his mouth more than once while in Anaheim which was quite unprofessional.  The head coach and GM both made mistakes and both were undermined at different times by the other.  The biggest difference is who you side with and the fact that you seem to hold it against the other guy more.