• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Spin Forum Dumping Bin

16 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

If you post proven lies or obviously incendiary info then the bans should be automatic and permanent. And to expect a for profit company to willfully broadcast your plans to overthrow the government is just fucking stupid 

But muh free speech

• Replies 22.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jason

• Taylor

• St1ck

• Lhalo

24 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

If you post proven lies or obviously incendiary info then the bans should be automatic and permanent. And to expect a for profit company to willfully broadcast your plans to overthrow the government is just fucking stupid 

This is true but I think there’s be less people hitching about it if these companies we consistent regardless of the political ideologies of those posting the stuff 

7 minutes ago, Rico said:

There have always been limits to free speech. Yelling "Fire" in a crowded movie theater is a big no-no.

Inciting a mob to storm the capital building and 5 people dying because of it is far worse. 

This is always the first argument used to justify silencing dissent 

3 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

You don’t think the Chinese are trying to get any information they can?

They have nothing to gain from spying on me.  If you're really worried about it don't download the app. Big government shouldn't take that choice from me.

Our own government spy on us anyway, why should I care if the Chinese are trying to do the same?

1 minute ago, Rico said:

They have nothing to gain from spying on me.  If you're really worried about it don't download the app. Big government shouldn't take that choice from me.

Our own government spy on us anyway, why should I care if the Chinese are trying to do the same?

I am not worried about them spying on you rico

To me, the right to free speech has always been about freedom to say what you want without restraint from the government. Basically, you can go outside and shout the N word and face no legal ramifications. As it should be.

But it doesn't mean freedom without consequences. You can't go call your boss a faggot and expect to not get fired because muh 1st amendment.

Wanna call a dude the N word at the 7-11? You ain't going to jail for it but you're probably getting a Twisted Tea.

As for social media, I think this opinion article paints a good picture:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/why-trump-bans-from-twitter-facebook-dont-violate-first-amendment-2021-1%3famp

2 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

To me, the right to free speech has always been about freedom to say what you want without restraint from the government. Basically, you can go outside and shout the N word and face no legal ramifications. As it should be.

But it doesn't mean freedom without consequences. You can't go call your boss a faggot and expect to not get fired because muh 1st amendment.

Wanna call a dude the N word at the 7-11? You ain't going to jail for it but you're probably getting a Twisted Tea.

As for social media, I think this opinion article paints a good picture:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/why-trump-bans-from-twitter-facebook-dont-violate-first-amendment-2021-1%3famp

I didn’t argue it is is against the 1st Amendment.  That doesn’t mean it isn’t stifling dissent.

As I have already stated, this is an extremely complex issue with no easy answers.

51 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

This is always the first argument used to justify silencing dissent 

I've only seen it used when someone makes the "free speech" argument to defend someone eliciting violence or unlawful activity with their speech.

I agree with MT that it’s a tricky issue. Guess the question is, what level of dissent is acceptable and not crossing the line? For years, Trump derided anything and everything that Obama did via Twitter and they took no action against him.

With what he has been doing since the election two months ago (particularly the weeks leading up to January 6th), has he crossed that line of dissent via Twitter? I guess each individual is going to have a different opinion.