• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Thoughts from Chicago...

howie

I'm usually only able to get to one Angels game a year and tonight was the night- my 2 boys were way excited- they wanted some autographs, so I forked over the cash for close seats and we got to the stadium when the gates opened.

Looking at the Angels players- they just have no energy. Mike Trout was the only player that signed autographs and interacted with fans at all. My boys were yelling out all the players names pregame as they just walked right by. I understand that it's their workplace and they're on the road, but I just can't understand how players just walk right by all these kids that would be thrilled if they just came over and signed a few autographs.

Anyways- their body language is not a winning team. I didn't want to believe it about the Angels, but most of them act like the entitled millionaires that they are.

It's just really hard to explain to a 10 and 8 year old that are trying hard to choke back the tears why no players will come over. I'm glad Mike Trout took some time and I realize that he's the face of baseball, but I would expect him to sign fewer autographs than everyone, not be the only guy on the team signing.

Anyways, just venting about the whole situation, but this team, except for Trout just seems very plastic and content and insulated. Maybe it's different at home, but I just really have a hard time with the body language and attitude of most of this team.

yeah -- folks -- don't like to be a naysayer but have to agree the team seems to be lacking that spark that is so evident with teams making a real stretch run and head into the post-season with momentum.

A real turning point to me was actually a game that we won -- the extra inning win over Baltimore -- the Murphy walk off extra innings game at Anaheim --

and when I say a turning point, I mean a point where it is sort of evident to me we just don't have that 'little extra' to win --

we get a lead off double in the bottom of the 10th, guy at second NO OUT -- next guy up -- Giavotella can't get the bunt down -- and then he bunts foul with two strikes and K's.  Calhoun K's and now they walk Trout and Pujols to load the bases........Murphy works the count to 3 and 2 and gets the game winner (not sure why the outfield was playing a bit in on the play -- the ball may have been catchable).

Anyway -- my point is - we were playing Baltimore -- against teams like Toronto, Kansas City etc. (and certainly St. Louis if we get that far) -- if you can't get that bunt down with NO OUT and runner at second -- you're not winning that game.......little things........just saw a little lack of spark there.........if Johnny G gets the bunt down to move the runner over -- a fly ball wins the game.

sure Murphy battled to a 3 and 2 count and got the game winner.......but I think vs. a better team, Murphy K's and we're done there.

Its the Orange County effect. These players come here and get lazy.

This is bull sh!t. We went to an Angels - Twins game at the Metrodome in 2004. My 2 girls - 11 at the time - got a ton of autographs. One yelled at Adam Kennedy - who was standing by the batting cage - while we were on the far end of the dugout. AK put his hand up...like "Okay I'll be there".

Five minutes later - he came over to sign.

Salmon, Shields, Jose Molina, Figgy, Eckstein, Quinlan....even Hatcher and Solis came by.

So maybe it's just this group...who really are AAA players: Gia, Feather, Gillaspie, Cron all are terrible. 

And the Albert Albatross that is that contract...a joke. It's not an OC thing...it's a team chemistry thing...and it appears to be horrible.

Edited by JoJo26

If I was on a MLB club when I should be on AAA squad, I would sign every piece of paper, hat, ball, breast or whatever else was put in front of me knowing I might not be around too long.

This team has been through a lot this season between Hamilton, Jerry leaving and everything else. They just seem to be lacking passion. Is what it is. Scioscia's teams have never been full of characters.

This is bull sh!t. We went to an Angels - Twins game at the Metrodome in 2004. My 2 girls - 11 at the time - got a ton of autographs. One yelled at Adam Kennedy - who was standing by the batting cage - while we were on the far end of the dugout. AK put his hand up...like "Okay I'll be there".

Salmon, Shields, Jose Molina, Figgy, Eckstein, Quinlan....even Hatcher and Solis came by.

So maybe it's just this group...who really are AAA players: Gia, Feather, Gillaspie, Cron all are terrible.

And the Albert Albatross that is that contract...a joke. It's not an OC thing...it's a team chemistry thing...and it appears to be horrible.

Yeah- this group is just different- can't really put a finger on it-

It seems like the team gets along just fine, but at some point you have to look at teams like the Royals and they have some enthusiasm and energy.

Just unacceptable to be playing like this on the road against teams like the White Sox. There's no edge to these guys- they need a guy like Darin Erstad-

It's like the company where they promote all of the bad workers and let the good ones walk.

There is no chemistry here. This isn't Sosh's fault either. We lack flexibility, few versatile players.

If I was on a MLB club when I should be on AAA squad, I would sign every piece of paper, hat, ball, breast or whatever else was put in front of me knowing I might not be around too long.

This team has been through a lot this season between Hamilton, Jerry leaving and everything else. They just seem to be lacking passion. Is what it is. Scioscia's teams have never been full of characters.

Maybe they are told, "kid, just because you're up at the show, doesn't make you a HOF." Perhaps it's discouraged at times. A vet knows when to sign and not. But you're right, they do lack personality.

It's like the company where they promote all of the bad workers and let the good ones walk.

There is no chemistry here. This isn't Sosh's fault either. We lack flexibility, few versatile players.

Flexibility in what sense? We have quite a few guys that can play more than one position

Interesting.

Never seen the Angels on the road so I have nothing to compare it to.

Glad Trout is signing. HE WOULD. lol

I dunno whenever I went to BP @ Angel Stadium none of the opposing players ever paid much attention or looked over at fans unless there were hot chicks or people they knew. They'd throw a ball every once in a while, but some of them would cut off a ball that was clearly going along the outfield wall or might bounce in the stands. They do it every single day for more than half the year, it becomes standard at some point or another. This pretty much made me understand the difference between playing baseball for fun and doing it as a job.

I wouldn't look too much into it howie, however I will agree this team is about as deflated as any ballclub I've seen in a while. I don't doubt they're all bummed about how they're sucking in many aspects of the game not to mention buying a win right now is just not up their alley.

Thanks for sharing Howie, but what if the situation was the other way around?

Like maybe If guys like Gio, Cron, and Featherson came signing autos... they would get flack for doing so because they're "nobodies" and haven't earned that right yet. I don't know... maybe it's the whole lead by example thing. If only Trout does it, then good on him.

Obviously, not making excuses for anyone. You're right though. Body language is very telling.

Last year in Toronto there was some guy in the 500 section yelling at Trout while he was on the on deck circle. He just kept yelling "Trout, Trout, Trout, Hey Trout! Wave at me!!!" Trout turns laughing and waves to the guy. It was pretty funny and most of the stadium got a laugh from it.

I usually go to a road series a year but I haven't had much desire this season so I'm doing an extra Panthers trip this season instead. When I've gone on trips I've always seen Trout signing along the baseline wall like he does at Angel Stadium. I can't recall a time I've ever seen Albert sign anything other than for people who have been brought onto the field for whatever occasion. I've even seen Hackilton sign for people before...

Teams often take on the attitude and demeanor of the leader.

Trout isn't quite old or experienced enough yet to take on the "follow me" role,  so we are left with "turning the page and tipping the cap"

Hard to get pumped behind that kind of leadership.

At least Chicago in the summertime is a blast, and the Cubbies are winning.

You can always go to Wrigley to feel what baseball excitement is meant to feel like.

Joe Maddon will be happy to sign something for your kids..

Edited by Homebrewer