• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Re: Pujols - Whatever Happened To...?

Lou

I think people were expecting a 300 AVG and 35HR per year. He's been pretty close to that. If he would have gotten Hamilton's contract, it would have been worth it. People don't like the last few years of his contract.

I do think that Pujols has character and competitiveness traits that give him a little more value than his stats.

As a consolation prize for the people who think my other declaration was a bit too ambitious, I'll shave my balls if Albert hits 50.

Some people just call that routine maintenance. Not enough.

So what is Albert worth to the franchise beyond what he does on the field?  Season tickets, royalties etc.  

I'll give him 50 mil or so.  

so say he has to generate 200mil worth of actual on field value.  

Free agents are getting around 7.5mil per WAR.  When he signed it was around 6.5 WAR.  It escalated pretty quick with all the new TV contracts so for the next six year it might get up to about 10mil by the end of his contract.  Call the average around 8mil.  So he needs around 25 WAR to be close or around 2.5 WAR per year.  

We have to remember that you can't hold a free agents production to what a club controlled player would generate on a value basis.  

Even if Pujols has to generate 30 WAR over the ten years, that's about 3 WAR per year.  If you go strictly by what he's been paid so far (68mil) and the average of 7mil/WAR to date, he damn close.  9.4 WAR over 3.5 years or around 65mil.  So he needs another 16-21 WAR over the rest of the contract.  

Can he be a 3 WAR/yr player for the next 6.5 years?  probably not.  But his production has matched his free agent salary to date

A. It would be incredibly stupid on his part

B. It would conjure up a shit storm with the mlbpa that I'm sure he wants no part of

C. He doesn't care about the Angels as much as you think, he wants to get paid just like everyone else

all fair points. But personally, i think if he really starts to dip, hes more worried about his career averages dropping than money. I know that sounds weird to guys like us, but hes already super eich, and has that post playing contract already in place.

(And hes said repeatedly to those around him he would reture early). We'll see though

There's no way he could have performed to everyone's expectations with the contract he was given. We made this deal knowing we'd be paying for flashes of greatness over the term of the contract with diminished returns as he ages. That said, I'd rather he have the money than some clubhouse cancer.

How do we know he is a good mentor to Trout? Just asking. And why is he a good mentor to Trout and not the other 24 guys.

Why wasn't he a good mentor to Mathis? What is he to Aybar, un tio?

The "he's a good mentor" crap is a great trope.  How you going to disprove it? 

And why just Trout?  Wouldn't it be better served with Featherston?

Which players (besides Hamilton) don't want to win?

In any work place, there's the dude you don't mess with that, as long as he's not an ass hole, CO workers count on to stick up for them. Who was it that fired back at dipoto? Pujols. Who did the arrow thing? Who got pissed after getting walked?

Please. I'm not intimidated by Pujols nor the other 24 Angels

MLB pitchers certainly aren't intimidated with him either.

He's a man. He's a player. You can respect his incredible career, but those dudes didn't get to the majors thinking "oh no, not this guy" while standing on the mound.

That isn't what Reggie Jackson said about Nolan Ryan.  Or what many pitchers said about having to face Vladdy.

That isn't to say it is the norm but I wouldn't shut down the concept completely.

Please. I'm not intimidated by Pujols nor the other 24 Angels

MLB pitchers certainly aren't intimidated with him either.

He's a man. He's a player. You can respect his incredible career, but those dudes didn't get to the majors thinking "oh no, not this guy" while standing on the mound.

No. He's The Machine.

Mang.