• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Aviation Fans

8 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

https://amp.businessinsider.com/russia-admits-defeat-su-57-not-going-into-mass-production-2018-7

@arch stanton

Kind of surprised. This thing looked cool. But not as surprised....id read recently is wasnt nearly as good as advertised.

Odd that they would just not build them though. Wonder what the reason is. Cost?

If you can’t sucker your allies into sharing the production costs they’re not sustainable 

6 hours ago, arch stanton said:

If you can’t sucker your allies into sharing the production costs they’re not sustainable 

Im kind of surprised China didnt show interest. I know their new plane (f-35 rip off) is getting closer. But they like the sukhois. Would have thought they would have jumped in and produced them in house themselves for the tech. 

13 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

https://amp.businessinsider.com/russia-admits-defeat-su-57-not-going-into-mass-production-2018-7

@arch stanton

Kind of surprised. This thing looked cool. But not as surprised....id read recently is wasnt nearly as good as advertised.

Odd that they would just not build them though. Wonder what the reason is. Cost?

because they sank all their money into buying the last US election. duh.

As we move forward in our endeavor to remove weather as a deterrent to blowing shit up......

https://defpost.com/raytheon-stormbreaker-bomb-sdb-ii-enters-operational-testing-phase/

The StormBreaker tri-mode seeker uses imaging infrared, millimeter wave (mmWave) and semi-active laser, giving pilots the ability to destroy moving targets on the battlefield in adverse weather from standoff ranges. The millimeter wave radar is to detect and track targets through weather, imaging infrared for enhanced target discrimination and semi-active laser that enables the weapon to track an airborne laser designator or one on the ground.

@arch stanton, did you catch the article on the F-15X Boeing is offering? Supposedly can carry TWENTY FOUR amraams (or mixed with AIM-9s).

Sounds silly and video gamey...but the concept might be really smart. Use older planes like it (and its video game load of missiles) to fly back of the F-35s, who are directing them what to shoot.

10 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

@arch stanton, did you catch the article on the F-15X Boeing is offering? Supposedly can carry TWENTY FOUR amraams (or mixed with AIM-9s).

Sounds silly and video gamey...but the concept might be really smart. Use older planes like it (and its video game load of missiles) to fly back of the F-35s, who are directing them what to shoot.

As a concept it's solid thanks to data linking and if we were to do battle with the big boys it would be nice to knock down their numbers advantage in the early stages. I'd love to see the displays the WSO would be using during a 24 missile launch

I'd honestly be a little skeptical of the outboard wing pylons unless they've done some serious work on the wing structure. I guess the Air Force would have to decide that a few hundred of these is more cost efficient than maintaining the tired old fleet of C-models.

I dont know how much money they have to play with. Aside from the F-35 purchases, the pending 21st century bomber, the tanker replacements, etc, not sure they can purchase much else.

That said, buying new F-15s to augment the F-35s makes a lot of sense. Couple them together as a team, like a wolf pack,  leave the F-22s alone to hunt like sharks (and focus on high priority targets like AWACS and tankers).

This might be a question for @Vladdylonglegs...

I was driving down MacArthur near the 55 a few days ago. At that point, MacArthur is about a mile from John Wayne Airport. It was 5:00 p.m. - light outside with good visibility.

A United flight was approaching, in the final seconds before landing. All of the sudden it just lifted right back up and flew over the airport. The flight behind it landed fine. 

I know this is a relatively common occurrence when weather is bad. But it seemed odd that it happened under perfect conditions. I have seen thousands of flights come in for landing at John Wayne at this point in their flight, but have never seen this happen.

My questions: (1) how common is this when weather isnt a factor; and (2) what was the likely cause (a small plane on the runway)?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

In case anyone is interested in the space X launch.  I was able to record it from my house on the westside of LA.  It was really impressive.  And I think I got some cool things like the boosters sonic blast as it's coming down, and the final separation.  Granted it's video from my phone, so not the greatest quality.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2018 at 11:47 PM, gotbeer said:

In case anyone is interested in the space X launch.  I was able to record it from my house on the westside of LA.  It was really impressive.  And I think I got some cool things like the boosters sonic blast as it's coming down, and the final separation.  Granted it's video from my phone, so not the greatest quality.

Thats crazy! I missed the whole thing. Is that going to be the norm for the night launches?