• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Does AW feel too much like a news feed than a forum?

ABC

I'm guessing that threads for the OC and MLB articles are automatically generated. They usually get little to no participation. It may get tiresome to sift through these articles to get to the user generated threads. Especially when most of them are reporting something already discussed or give little value. I can understand the purpose of article threads and the relationships with the creators but is it taking away from the AW experience?

Not for me. Nothing stops people from commenting on them and they are easy to identify. I have limited time to search for Angels-related news so this is like a one-stop shop.

Same for me, I like all this information in one place.  I don't think it was ever the intention just to make this a message forum, that's too boring.

Not for me. Nothing stops people from commenting on them and they are easy to identify. I have limited time to search for Angels-related news so this is like a one-stop shop.

I get what you're saying. The board just seemed more lively previously. Every piece of Angels news was posted here without the need for the auto threads and it promoted more interaction and viewpoints. At least that's just the way I view it. 

I am not a fan of the Angels website or OCR bot posts.

98% of the time the "stories" have been long discussed on AW, which is a testament that the fans here cover all the angles quite well.

I imagine a mod can pretty easily figure out what the engagement rate is for those automated posts. I would assume open rate, read rate, and engagement rates are all significantly lower than traditional posts.

The reason I see it, I like seeing what the community here has to say about a specific storyline. I don't care what an MLB.com guy says. His job is to just push content. He may not even care about, nor like the Angels.

While I like Fletch's OCR work, I really value what he says here as a poster, because he's not paid to do it here, although you could argue his job is to popularize the Angels brand in hopes of attracting new readers to the paper.

Ultimately, and I'm sure Chuck or Geoff can attest to this - the methodology is probably advertising related. If they sell more ads at a higher price because of more content, those bot posts aren't going anywhere. They also are here to stay if the metrics don't hurt those ad buys.

I might also guess that there is a slim chance that a bigger entity like the Angels and/or MLB has asked to include those stories as a way to help drive traffic to those sites.

I don't go to th Angels site for anything. Some good clickbait might get me there.

Just my guess in the big picture.

Edited by SOTO

I used to have the LA Times feed through as well... Thank you all for your feedback. Much appreciated. I think I can get rid of Alden's feed from MLB since both Fletcher and Alden reports on almost the same news items. Plus Fletch is a member here and actively posts.

It can be a bit redundant and I typically delete some of them when I see them.

I used to have the LA Times feed through as well... Thank you all for your feedback. Much appreciated. I think I can get rid of Alden's feed from MLB since both Fletcher and Alden reports on almost the same news items. Plus Fletch is a member here and actively posts.

It can be a bit redundant and I typically delete some of them when I see them.

I really dig Fletch's contributions here. It's great to have that insider feel. Maybe ESPN should follow AW's lead!

I like how people jock him.

You'll see someone post the same thing as Jeff a couple posts ahead but people will quote Jeff hoping to get a response from him.

I do dig his inside perspective though that usually clears up the nonsense some people post about regarding things like personalities, what people in the organization or front office think, etc.