• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rick Porcello just got 21 million a year

Back on topic, Porcello has had exactly one year with a positive ERA+ in the last 5. That would be last year, a contract year and he is going to a pitcher unfriendly Park. Even being only 26 this has Kazmir breakdown written all over it, he has a ton of miles on that arm.

I don't think fan has been to the stadium since '79.

I went five times last season, thank you very much. Favorite (and affordable) section is View behind third base.

Tickets cost around $14 as I recall.

A friend also took me to the game vs the Phillies on August 12th and we sat right behind the first-base dugout. I didn't pay for that ticket.

Edited by fan_since79

It's an overpay but it's not surprising. His age is the biggest factor for this most likely. I mean, Brett Anderson is about to collect $10 million this season after he failed to even reach 45 IP in each of the past 3 years. Justin Masterson got handed $9 million after putting up a 5.88 ERA and 1.63 WHIP last year

I think the Red Sox are looking at more important indicators than career ERA over 19 2/3 innings in one hitter's park (against a team that usually has a good offense, no less).  

His FIP, for instance.  

I don't think it is that much of a reach, if at all.  I was surprised by the number at first, but aren't we always a bit surprised by these numbers?  He is young, and he could've easily gotten more if they let the season play out.  

Edited by ScottT

I think the Red Sox are looking at more important indicators than career ERA over 19 2/3 innings in one hitter's park (against a team that usually has a good offense, no less).  

His FIP, for instance.  

I don't think it is that much of a reach, if at all.  I was surprised by the number at first, but aren't we always a bit surprised by these numbers?  He is young, and he could've easily gotten more if they let the season play out.  

If we're using FIP as an indicator for how much a player should get paid than the Angels should have given Blanton 20 million a year.

He's trending in the right direction, but by no means is he a 20+ million a year pitcher. Not even close. He's had one truly above average season and that's it.

If you are using one indicator when making such decisions, you won't be responsible for making decisions for long. 

Blanton was a home run pitcher.

Porcello is a ground ball pitcher.  

Big difference. Ground balls are better.

Ervin Santana got 4/54.  He's inconsistent and 6-7 years older. Porcello's deal isn't crazy.  

If you are using one indicator when making such decisions, you won't be responsible for making decisions for long. 

Blanton was a home run pitcher.

Porcello is a ground ball pitcher.  

Big difference. Ground balls are better.

Ervin Santana got 4/54.  He's inconsistent and 6-7 years older. Porcello's deal isn't crazy.  

Well, you are the one that brought up FIP. It's about the only real positive Porcello has. That and his walk rate. Everything else is average at best. Hell, you can really split hairs and look at his career FIP and it comes out to be below average.

He's essentially an average pitcher with some potential to be pretty good. His age is a positive factor, but it can also be a negative one as he's already put over 1000 innings on his arm.

Is that worth making him just the 16th pitcher all time to get 20+ million a year? Is Zach Greinke only worth 3.5 million more per year than Rick Porcello?