• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rick Porcello just got 21 million a year

I brought up more than that.

When Greinke opts out, he'll get a lot more.  You're comparing deals signed two years and four months apart when salaries have been increasing very quickly.  That's another reason why the deal isn't nuts.

Look what happened last year.  Scherzer turned down 6/144 and got 7/189 if you consider how much was deferred.   Lester's price skyrocketed when he hit free agency.  Porcello isn't either of those guys, but it is an illustration of how quickly salaries are rising and how waiting can be costly.  

Edited by ScottT

My thoughts exactly. 

I spent an entire (college student sized) paycheck on the last game I went to. 

I went with my brother to a game last year. We had $14 View tickets. I bought a $4.50 cup of light beer and a hot dog which was about four bucks.

We got free parking from the helpful Honda people who were there at the entrance, since my brother was driving an Accord.

So I got out of there for under $25.

Perhaps the Red Sox think they're setting the market for next year's deep FA crop of pitchers. He's young and trending in the right direction, but even then, 12-15 a year.

I think this one ends up being an outlier. The Red Sox can afford it, but I get the feeling they're going to have a very expensive 4th/5th starter.

Boston overpaid to keep the deal short and get him for his best years.  Age 27-30

If he gets to free agency he'd get 7 years.  Probably for 15-17 per.  ie 7/100-120.  It sounds high, but that's what happens to 27yo free agents.  The sox get his prime seasons and Porcello is still relatively young enough to get another good FA deal.  

It a market deal for his prime years.   

He's a very underrated pitcher, but I don't think he's worth that much. The most underrated guys, in my opinion, are him, Keuchel, McHugh, Smyly, Paxton, and Hutchinson.

He could very well be Edwin Jackson in disguise. Always rated as just about to break out and never does. 

He's not a bad pitcher but at that money you're looking for a top 15 arm and he isn't that and likely never will be.

not sure 4/80 gets you a top 15 arm on the free agent market or anywhere close especially for ages 27 and on.  

If a top 15 pitcher were a free agent at age 27, you can tack on another 120mil and 3+ more years.  

Again, Boston is giving him 4-5mil extra per year to not have to pay him for his age 31-33 seasons.  It costs them about 20mil on the front end, but they are saving 50mil off the back end of the deal.  

not sure 4/80 gets you a top 15 arm on the free agent market or anywhere close especially for ages 27 and on.  

If a top 15 pitcher were a free agent at age 27, you can tack on another 120mil and 3+ more years.  

Again, Boston is giving him 4-5mil extra per year to not have to pay him for his age 31-33 seasons.  It costs them about 20mil on the front end, but they are saving 50mil off the back end of the deal.  

Referencing the AAV moreso the years. Obviously would be more around the 6+ year deals that we are seeing with most FA. Porcello's age was a big factor in this deal, likely the leading the factor really....which is again why I'm glad the Angels are doing all they can to add young, cheap arms. Price for pitching is ridiculous and even moreso when there are starters who show at least average production and aren't nearing the age of 30

If my favorite team is going to shell out over $20 million on a SP, I want a guy who you know has the stuff, can get the K's and has the success. Porcello is a guy who is very dependent on having a good infield defense behind him in order to maximize his results. He's a decent #3, good #4 starter, but it's clear the Sox are either hoping/expecting a bit more growth from him during the duration of this contract

someone mentioned that the red sox like to overpay so i thought i'd drop in that the dodgers opening day payroll yesterday was a robust $270 mil, which included some 40 mil to guys who are no longer on the roster.

$21 mil per seems like the kind of contract the doggies would have dropped on someone like porcello.

I went five times last season, thank you very much. Favorite (and affordable) section is View behind third base.

Tickets cost around $14 as I recall.

A friend also took me to the game vs the Phillies on August 12th and we sat right behind the first-base dugout. I didn't pay for that ticket.

How will that turn into $100 soon?

How will that turn into $100 soon?

If the contracts keep escalating. And the $100 would include ticket, food, drink, and parking.

I already spend at least $35 including parking, unless the helpful Honda people are there that night and my Civic gets me free parking. And that's with one hot dog and a $4.50 cup of beer. I know you guys already spend $100 or more with better food and drinks and a better seat, but my budget is really tight right now. You'll be spending a couple hundred per game if these salaries go out of sight.