• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Official Website: Arbitrator reportedly to decide if Hamilton goes to rehab

how is hamilton the victim in all this? HE chose to do the drugs.  Its not like this was forced upon hamilton.

also, hamilton making the choice to self rehab is a joke. his pattern of choices in the area of drugs and drug rehab is poor, especially considering he is someone who allegedly wants to stay sober.

Multiple sources with knowledge of the situation told Yahoo Sports that Hamilton has told people his latest spiral began around Super Bowl weekend after a fight with his wife. Because he cannot carry cash or credit cards, Hamilton wrote himself a check to cash. He wound up at a strip club and used cocaine. Before his next test, Hamilton admitted to using drugs, which prompted the meeting with MLB in New York that the Los Angeles Times first reported, sending Hamilton's case into the public view.

Bleacher report

Obviously, from a baseball standpoint, there would a lot more people wishing for the 25-50 game rehab option as opposed to the year ban.  The fact remains his tenure in LAA has been rife with injuries, underperformance, indifference, and excuse-making so, looking at it strictly as what will be on the field, an injured, unmotivated, distracted Josh Hamilton is not someone you want on your team or in your line-up, regardless of the circumstances that led him to current state.   

I don't think there is any rational poster here that does not want to see Josh emerge from this relapse a better human being, husband and father but his current reality is not condusive to a team's success and his off-field success is irrelevant if it doesn't translate to tangible success on the field. 

We are not friends, family, colleagues, or aquaintances to Josh...our only relation is interest in what he can produce in an Angels uniform.

A grown up who isn't allowed to carry cash or cards? (But a checkbook is ok?)

What a sad dude.

That is probably a real problem for a guy with millions of dollars pouring in and has to ask someone if he can go to the In N Out like he was a 12 year old on a strict allowance.

I get he has shown an irresponsibility with his money but at some point it becomes pointless for him to work so hard at everything and not have any rights of ownership to his paycheck.

Obviously, from a baseball standpoint, there would a lot more people wishing for the 25-50 game rehab option as opposed to the year ban.  The fact remains his tenure in LAA has been rife with injuries, underperformance, indifference, and excuse-making so, looking at it strictly as what will be on the field, an injured, unmotivated, distracted Josh Hamilton is not someone you want on your team or in your line-up, regardless of the circumstances that led him to current state.   

I don't think there is any rational poster here that does not want to see Josh emerge from this relapse a better human being, husband and father but his current reality is not condusive to a team's success and his off-field success is irrelevant if it doesn't translate to tangible success on the field. 

We are not friends, family, colleagues, or aquaintances to Josh...our only relation is interest in what he can produce in an Angels uniform.

Of course not, but even deciding what the best course of action is will be tainted.  Right now, we aren't happy with his play so the idea of a longer ban is what is most popular.  You made the point yourself, we can't see what is best for him or for baseball in a rational light.

Yup.... I want him to get passed his demons..  I also want him gone.   Then again, I never wanted him here in the first place and yeah -- the specter of this happening factored into it.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Of course not, but even deciding what the best course of action is will be tainted.  Right now, we aren't happy with his play so the idea of a longer ban is what is most popular.  You made the point yourself, we can't see what is best for him or for baseball in a rational light.

Since I have no impact on what Josh receives in terms of punishment/suspension, I can be "tainted".  My perception of him will no way effect what will happen to him or if he plays in an Angels uniform.  If a 25-50 game suspension will bring back "Josh 2012", than I'm good with him returning as soon as possible.  Fact is, though, we've never seen that Josh, only the injured, discontented, and seemingly uninterested Josh who decision making on the field (sliding head-first into 1B) or off the field (strippers and blow) leaves us void of optimism.  Josh is going to get what he gets regardless of what I wish but if he's anything like the last two seasons, I'd wish for the year regardless if its best for him or not as my main concern if the success of the Angels; he has $100+ mil and a network of family, friends, counselors, agents, etc to aid in his recovery.

Of course you can feel or want any outcome you please.

That wasn't my point though.  I'm just wondering if the prevailing opinion of a harsh decision would be as prevelent here if he was raking over the last two seasons. 

I don't think you have to wonder...

From the article cited in this thread:

The advisory board - comprised of two physicians and two lawyers, one of each appointed by MLB and the MLBPA - determines whether a player failed to comply with his treatment program, then decides on a course of treatment. Power to choose the arbitrator, or "fifth member," alternates between MLB and the MLBPA, and it is unclear which party selected in this instance.

It's probably safe to assume they are deadlocked on partisan terms, MLB vs MLBPA.  That would mean the doctor selected by MLBPA is dismissing Hamilton's problem, or possibly denying him the chance to enter a treatment program.  I understand the MLBPA lawyer voting in Hamilton's favor regardless, but not the MLBPA physician since his/her professional reputation and maybe medical license would be at stake. 

....I understand the MLBPA lawyer voting in Hamilton's favor regardless, but not the MLBPA physician since his/her professional reputation and maybe medical license would be at stake. 

I take it you haven't had a lot of experience with hearings and "experts..