• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Official Website: Arbitrator reportedly to decide if Hamilton goes to rehab

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/report-hamilton-did-cocaine-at-strip-club-after-fight-with-wife/ar-AA9BaeL?ocid=iehp

Hamilton admitted several years ago that he does not carry cash or credit cards because he can’t trust himself, so he allegedly wrote himself a check to cash.

So...new list:

cash

credit cards

checkbook

And, just in case:

enabling posse/crew

Angels are responsible to pay Hamilton most his salary if he goes into rehab is what I understand?  I expect both a suspension and rehab are in order.  Anybody with half a brain should of expected a relapse during his tenure with the Angels. I don't believe Josh wants us/Angels/public to feel sorry for him or his family. Personally, I would be thrilled if he can be a productive player when he gets healthy.

Drug addict for life! I put this all on Arte and the FO.

Angels are responsible to pay Hamilton most his salary if he goes into rehab is what I understand? I expect both a suspension and rehab are in order. Anybody with half a brain should of expected a relapse during his tenure with the Angels. I don't believe Josh wants us/Angels/public to feel sorry for him or his family. Personally, I would be thrilled if he can be a productive player when he gets healthy.

Drug addict for life! I put this all on Arte and the FO.

Hey Arte........did you get the Carfax?

From the article cited in this thread:

The advisory board - comprised of two physicians and two lawyers, one of each appointed by MLB and the MLBPA - determines whether a player failed to comply with his treatment program, then decides on a course of treatment. Power to choose the arbitrator, or "fifth member," alternates between MLB and the MLBPA, and it is unclear which party selected in this instance.

It's probably safe to assume they are deadlocked on partisan terms, MLB vs MLBPA. That would mean the doctor selected by MLBPA is dismissing Hamilton's problem, or possibly denying him the chance to enter a treatment program. I understand the MLBPA lawyer voting in Hamilton's favor regardless, but not the MLBPA physician since his/her professional reputation and maybe medical license would be at stake.

I'm not sure every assumption you made was a safe one. While it's probable the split I'd asking party lines it could possibly be asking professional lines. The lawyers could be taking one and the doctors another.

But from what I have read the disagreement may be the players union wanting rehab stay with pay while MLB wants Hamilton suspended and he'll have to pay for his own rehab. I doubt anyone in the room is suggesting Hamilton not get help. It's whether or not he I'd paid during that time and the length of time he is suspended if he is.

I'm not sure every assumption you made was a safe one. While it's probable the split I'd asking party lines it could possibly be asking professional lines. The lawyers could be taking one and the doctors another.

But from what I have read the disagreement may be the players union wanting rehab stay with pay while MLB wants Hamilton suspended and he'll have to pay for his own rehab. I doubt anyone in the room is suggesting Hamilton not get help. It's whether or not he I'd paid during that time and the length of time he is suspended if he is.

I think Hamilton should fund is own rehab since it's his own addiction and not an occupational hazard injury. His time for suspension should already be covered by the CBA.

•  

Oh yeah, anything is possible.  It just seems unlikely the lawyers for MLB and MLBPA would agree on anything, particularly if both physicians were in disagreement. 

If they're debating whether Hamilton gets paid during rehab, why are a pair of physicians involved in that part of the decision-making process? 

Oh yeah, anything is possible.  It just seems unlikely the lawyers for MLB and MLBPA would agree on anything, particularly if both physicians were in disagreement. 

If they're debating whether Hamilton gets paid during rehab, why are a pair of physicians involved in that part of the decision-making process? 

Might be part of the CBA.

I think Hamilton should fund is own rehab since it's his own addiction and not an occupational hazard injury. His time for suspension should already be covered by the CBA.

You are forgetting that he has a disease and therefore can't be held accountable for his actions. He gets to do whatever he wants and other people need to deal with it and pay.

hamilton's a poor victim of a rural childhood. and hearing too much banjo music as a child. we need to take responsibility for his "slips" because, after all, it's the rest of the world thats responsible for his behavior. if fans and the rest of the world wasn't so mean to him, he wouldn't have all these problems. its enough to make anybody anxious and looking for an escape.

can you imagine this guys situation in mlb in the 1960's? and the leauges response?

So are there people actually saying it's someone else's failt in this thread? I bailed at a time where we were all "discussing" the merits of addiction and addictive personalities. I had no idea someone would blame someone else for Hamilton's cocaine use.

Rehab should be reserved for addicts who have hit rock bottom and have no other recourse, not some incredibly wealthy man who did cocaine a month or two ago.

I don't really know how I feel about the concept of rehab. On one hand, addiction is a disease. On the other, rehab efficacy rates are remarkably low. All it does is enable people and teach them how to manipulate. Addicts typically have underlying issues like depression and personality disorders that aren't addressed in those settings. 

Rehab should be reserved for addicts who have hit rock bottom and have no other recourse, not some incredibly wealthy man who did cocaine a month or two ago.

I don't really know how I feel about the concept of rehab. On one hand, addiction is a disease. On the other, rehab efficacy rates are remarkably low. All it does is enable people and teach them how to manipulate. Addicts typically have underlying issues like depression and personality disorders that aren't addressed in those settings. 

I tend to agree with this. I think outpatient programs like AA and NA that acknowledge the illness AND work on personal responsibility and accountability might be better for a lot of people. If they kick drugs and don't address whatever drove them to use drugs, they'll just go on to relapse or to be addicted to something else. On the other hand there are those who go through rehab once, make a commitment to maintain sobriety and never go back.

On the other hand, a lot of drugs - be they legal or illegal- cannot be stopped cold turkey without some major physical problems because the user builds up a physical dependence. People trying to stop heavy alcohol use can end up with seizures and such. For those people, being under the direct care of a physician is important and depending on what drug is being stopped and how heavy the usage was, being in a hospital or rehab for that part of the detox might be a good idea.

Edited by AngelsSurfer