• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Out on Lester

SoWhat

I wouldn't say the ink is dry by the time the Angels have been mentioned in these situations.   There were several hours, at least, of waiting with Pujols.  I'm pretty sure that they were mentioned in the Pujols stuff, but many didn't believe it... some media outlets even ignored it, like this mention about Lester.  It didn't go on this long, but who knows.  

I'm all for the signing.  It's not my money... and there's plenty of money in baseball.

they don't even play in the same league as the Dodgers. As much as I'm sure Arte wants to take a bite out of the Dodger's share of the SoCal fanbase, I really don't think the Angels make player decisions based on what the Dodgers are doing. If the Angels feel like they need the SP enough to warrant the years and $$ it will take to get Lester, then they'll get him. If not, they won't. What the Dodgers may or may not do doesn't factor into it.

Arte Moreno gave Mike Scioscia a completely unprecedented ten year contract extension because of a rumor that he might switch teams and go to the Dodgers despite the fact that he probably should have been kept in the hot seat / retained on a 1 or 2 year contract at most after how the 2008 postseason was managed.

I also suspect the Josh Hamilton signing had a lot to do with the fact that the Angels wanted to steal back the hot stove thunder after being outbid for Greinke.

I don't understand how someone could believe they're not interested in Lester.  Of course they're interested, all 30 MLB teams are.  It doesn't mean the Angels have the money or will even make a competitive offer.  But I'm sure they'll put something out there that can work within their parameters.  Lester would likely be leaving a lot on the table if he took it, but that's not the point. 

The point is, you make a respectable offer that works for your team.  That way, if by some off chance he wants to be an Angel, you can have him at your price.  If not, nothing lost. 

Arte Moreno gave Mike Scioscia a completely unprecedented ten year contract extension because of a rumor that he might switch teams and go to the Dodgers despite the fact that he probably should have been kept in the hot seat / retained on a 1 or 2 year contract at most after how the 2008 postseason was managed.

I also suspect the Josh Hamilton signing had a lot to do with the fact that the Angels wanted to steal back the hot stove thunder after being outbid for Greinke.

Take any given argument and find a way to sh*t on Mike Scioscia. 

Check. 

I don't understand how someone could believe they're not interested in Lester.  Of course they're interested, all 30 MLB teams are.  It doesn't mean the Angels have the money or will even make a competitive offer.  But I'm sure they'll put something out there that can work within their parameters.  Lester would likely be leaving a lot on the table if he took it, but that's not the point. 

The point is, you make a respectable offer that works for your team.  That way, if by some off chance he wants to be an Angel, you can have him at your price.  If not, nothing lost. 

subjectively i must say, that's not how FA works and i think you know that.

If I could Scherzer for about the same price I would do it regardless of losing a draft pick. It's going to be a late twenties pick anyways, not a huge loss.

the angels have the last pick in the 1st round. best record in baseball. playoffs don't matter. this is the year that i don't care about losing a draft pick. sign a good player and move on.

1. Diamondbacks

2. Astros (for failure to sign 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken)

3. Rockies

4. Rangers

5. Astros

6. Twins

7. Red Sox

8. White Sox

9. Cubs

10. Phillies

11. Reds

12. Marlins

13. Padres

14. Rays

15. Mets

16. Braves

17. Brewers

18. Blue Jays

19. Yankees

20. Indians

21. Mariners

22. Giants

23. Pirates

24. Athletics

25. Royals

26. Tigers

27. Cardinals

28. Dodgers

29. Orioles

30. Nationals

31. Angels

Edited by ukyah

I do not want Scherzer at all. I don't like the violent delivery or the bouts with "shoulder tightness", "shoulder soreness", "shoulder fatigue" over the past few years. Either go after Lester or focus on the cheaper options

Not interested in Shields either. K rate has been trending down for 3 straight seasons and will turn 33 in a few weeks. Pretty easy to determine that he's only going to be getting worse, not better.

I like both Scherzer and Lester, and if I had my choice I would take Lester, but if we lost out on Lester, I would certainly go for Scherzer. As far as his "battles with shoulder issues", whatever that means, the guy has averaged 32 starts a year over the last 6 years, and he has averaged 197 innings pitched. Scherzer also averages over a strikeout an inning in his career. The guy is really good and can literally shut down an offense on any given night.

I like both Scherzer and Lester, and if I had my choice I would take Lester, but if we lost out on Lester, I would certainly go for Scherzer. As far as his "battles with shoulder issues", whatever that means, the guy has averaged 32 starts a year over the last 6 years, and he has averaged 197 innings pitched. Scherzer also averages over a strikeout an inning in his career. The guy is really good and can literally shut down an offense on any given night.

It means that he's already showing wear and tear on his arm. His mechanics/delivery are terrible. He's not a guy I would invest long term in(especially at his current age). I don't see him holding up nor holding his velocity for too much longer. No doubt he's a good arm, I just see the risk not being worth it. Lester has fewer red flags...go all out for him and if they miss then move on to the cheaper options. Zero interest in Scherzer at his price

Edited by bloodbrother