• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Out on Lester

SoWhat

Mmm me thinks it's a difference between wanting to the spend the money over having the money. Unless you're talking strictly about the luxury tax threshold. 

The tax itself really isn't much of a penalty the first year.  It's the subsequent years where you really start to lose money, like when you're taxed 50-100% of the overage.  I think the issue the Angels are encountering is the fact that they can exceed the tax this year, but Weav and Wilson don't come off the books for another two years.

This basically means that they'd have a hard time getting back under the tax again for 2-3 years if they go over this year, which means they'd lose a TON of money.  If you're going to go over, you have to have a plan.  Right now the Angels are around 9.5 million under the threshold.  If they signed Lester for an average of 23 a year, that's 14 million over. 

This works out alright when you consider Howie knocks off 10 of that, Freese brings us 2 under the limit, Iannetta puts us 8 under the limit, Street puts us 15 million under and finally Smith brings us 20 under after next year.  But then the Angels would have arbitration increases in Richards, Calhoun, Jepsen and Santiago.  This likely knocks them 10 under the limit.  But the Angels would then need to fill a hole at catcher, 3B, 2B, setup and closer and would have around only 10 million to work with.

The absolute only way that one works out is if Baldoquin inherits 3B, Yarbrough/Green handle 2B, Bandy and Perez handle catcher and a few guys in the pen take huge steps forward in the next 12 months, like Jairo Diaz, Danny Reynolds, Cam Bedrosian, they'd all need to reach Mike Morin's level. 

I mean I could see it happening and working out brilliantly, but they places a TON of pressure on the young kids stepping up.  Loving prospects as much as I do, I'd like to think they can, but I also acknowledge that depth and options are a must.  So if they used that 10 million to bring in/bacvk a really good reliever, I think it'd work out.  But again, not a lot of wiggle room. 

The Angels studied his past two years worth of starts once the offseason hit, looking for something, anything. They couldn't find a single thing wrong. Everyone agreed, he'll age gracefully. But I haven't heard anything about him for weeks.

I believe the Angels are in on him, but only if a perfect storm happens and he lands in their lap. Yeah, he's a "top" of the rotation guy Dipoto is looking for, and yeah he won't cost a draft pick and yeah, we can save our prospects. But the Angels simply don't have the money.

If thats true then the Pujols and Hamilton contracts really have screwed over the franchise.

Chances are slim, but we all know the Angels move in mysterious ways. What I think is clear is someone is going to spend a HUGE amount on Lester. Here are some various predictions:

MLB.com: 6/$130M

CBS Sports; 6/$150M

Fangraphs crowdsourcing: 6/$128-132M (depending upon average or median)

I think MLB and Fangraphs are both low, that it is going to be closer to CBS. My guess is bidding will go up to the $130-140M range, then some team is going to blow every one else out of the water with $150M and/or a seventh year.

I could see the Angels being competitive for Lester, even going past 5 years, just to keep him away from the Dodgers...or at least make him think twice. Kershaw, Lester, Greinke, Ryu...not fair...

they don't even play in the same league as the Dodgers. As much as I'm sure Arte wants to take a bite out of the Dodger's share of the SoCal fanbase, I really don't think the Angels make player decisions based on what the Dodgers are doing. If the Angels feel like they need the SP enough to warrant the years and $$ it will take to get Lester, then they'll get him. If not, they won't. What the Dodgers may or may not do doesn't factor into it.