• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pablo Sandoval to Red Sox for 5yr/$100(or close to it)

bloodbrother

Hes had an OPS under .800 for 3 straight seasons and hes only had one good season his entire career.

I like postseason performers as much as anyone, but that kind of money is ridiculous.  Absolutely no way he repeats those postseason performances again for the Red Sox.

This is a very limited view on Sandoval. First of all, he's had more than "one good season his entire career." He's been pretty good to excellent player for his entire career. He was nearly great in 2009 and 2011, hitting .330/.387/.556 and .315/.357/.552, respectively.

But yeah, he's not been the same hitter over the last three years, but he's still been a pretty good player. He's an above average hitter and defender, which at the talent-scarce 3B position makes him valuable.

I could see his numbers getting a boost in Fenway and him having a nice little peak over the next 2-3 years before Father Time starts catching up.

Boston now signs Lester and trades Betts and more to the Phillies for Hamels and Cespedes for another SP. Looks like they intend to compete.

Betts and more for Hamels would be dumb. Betts is just as valuable as Hamels right now and he's cheaper for more years.

The Phillies aren't going to net a ton for Hamels if they don't throw in cash in the deal. My guess is the Phillies will decide to throw in 20-30 mil to receive a better prospect in return. Hamels is being paid market value for his talent so he won't and shouldn't receive much in return other than the opposing team taking on his contract. 

Jeff Sullivan talks about a hypothetical trade here. http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/lets-design-a-red-sox-cole-hamels-trade/

This is a very limited view on Sandoval. First of all, he's had more than "one good season his entire career." He's been pretty good to excellent player for his entire career. He was nearly great in 2009 and 2011, hitting .330/.387/.556 and .315/.357/.552, respectively.

But yeah, he's not been the same hitter over the last three years, but he's still been a pretty good player. He's an above average hitter and defender, which at the talent-scarce 3B position makes him valuable.

I could see his numbers getting a boost in Fenway and him having a nice little peak over the next 2-3 years before Father Time starts catching up.

He peaked in 2009.  In 2011 he only played in 117 games.  The following 3 years after that, his OPS has been under .800 and dropped every year.  I wouldnt say hes an excellent player by any means.  His home and away splits dont suggest it had anything to do with AT&T park either.  

Is he a good player?  Yeah I would say so.  Is he worth 100 million over 5 years?  Not even close.  The Red Sox are paying him like hes a superstar player when he isnt even close to being one and never has been.  All of his postseason success is behind him, if they expect him to duplicate those performances in the AL they are dreaming, even if Fenway's fences are little league.  

this happens every offseason, and every year it gets worse. FA is ridiculous in terms of value for dollar. It should pretty much be a last resort for teams, since you're pretty much guaranteed to be way over-paying for a player's services.

The off shore bank accounts in 10 figures for Wilpon, Loria and other owners who do not man up agree.

Players are paid what the market offers. Owning a MLB team can be insanely profitable.

More owners need to man up like Arte Moreno.

It's gotta be one of the 3 top Sp.

Maybe Nelson Cruz...would be nice in the short porch yankme stadium

Does he hit the ball to RF though?    LF is still pretty deep at new Skankee Stadium, except for right down the LF line.

Lester would be a perfect fit in that stadium, as a lefty facing righties with the deeper LF/LCF/CF porch.

Not to mention the guessing would be fun, on what Red Sux fan's reaction would be the first time he started a game in decrepit Fenway as a Skanks' pitcher.

Edited by Angel Oracle

this happens every offseason, and every year it gets worse. FA is ridiculous in terms of value for dollar. It should pretty much be a last resort for teams, since you're pretty much guaranteed to be way over-paying for a player's services.

Except dipping into free agency doesn't cost a team any players...except the opportunity cost of players they can't pay down the road, and the opportunity cost (which probably isn't much overall) of losing a first-round pick.

Contrary to those that think they are looking to trade Cespedes, I think they are looking at putting his arm in right field where it will cut down more runners. Very few runners go 1st to 3rd or 2nd to home on a line drive to left off the wall. 

It would make sense for them to do so.

I think the whole "bad/complaining teammate" thing is much ado about nothing.

• 1 year later...