• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Video Game Reviews: What Are You Playing?

mulwin444

• 2 weeks later...

So, I've been playing Fallout 4 a couple of weeks now and here are some observations:

1)  Much more visually accessible than both FO:3 and FO:NV, in my opinion.  Brighter colors, sharper images, and a better realization of the 50's Atomic theme they've been using throughout the series.  That said, it still feels like this game is a bridge between old and new gen and that the power of the XBone/PS4, respectively, were not fully utilized.  Overall, though, its a step in the right direction.  initially, you given specific locations to advance the story but its quite enjoyable to wander the wasteland looking for trouble

2)  Enjoying the voiced protagonist and think they did a decent job so far with creating companion characters that that have their own voice and personality.  Instead of being a lone figure in the wasteland, you get to develop more interpersonal relationships and, so far, they are actually people who are interesting and you give a crap about.  The dialogue system and the way you interact with your companions is a bit awkward and clunky but still an improvement.   Plus, they are nice to have in combat situations and are surprisingly effective in certain conflicts.  Also, the factions you can gain assignments from and join (The Minutemen, Brotherhood of Steel, etc) are well developed and, so far, push along the action.

3)  The loot and inventory is a mixed bag.  There is a ton of guns/ammo/aid/junk in the wasteland and sifting through what is usable and what isn't can tax your patience.  The weight of the inventory immediately becomes an issue but there is some assistance from your companion characters that at least buys you time to decide what to with everything.  On the good side, you can get some good weapons, ammo and perks relatively early in the game (like Missile Launchers, Mini-Nuke Shooters, Plasma Infused Rifles) but the loot fills up fast and storing it up in settlements means you may forget where you put an item leading to the necessity of having to visits multiple locations to find the right piece.

4)  Which leads to the aspect of the game where are helping to build and establish settlements.  A great majority of the junk you get in the game can be broken down into its component pieces to be used for essential items like water pumps, defense turrets, and power generators.  While the creation of said items is straightforward enough, the actual process of breaking down an item is convoluted - you have to drop the item in the settlement you want to use the component parts in, switch to "Workbench" mode, target each item individually and break them down.  The items are not transferable between settlements so, whatever you need to build in a particular area, you and your loaded companion have to bring it with you and break it down there in the settlement.

5)  As far combat, it seems to be evolving more towards a more traditional shooting mechanic and less dependent on the V.A.T.S. system to successfully complete an engagement with minimal damage.  I chose to work more with stealth and sniping so I let my companion distract the action and take on more of a tank role while I snipe and toss grenades and Molotov Cocktails.  There is a some fun areas for combat engagements and, overall, think its pretty solid but it can frustrating when you are getting shot and the only indication of the location of the enemy is a red dot on the compass when they standing on a bus above your eye-level.  There is Armor that you'll pick up in one of first missions that requires fusion batteries to operate so, needless to say, you have to hoard those suckers.  

6)  Story up to this point is decent but you always get the feeling in the back in your mind of "should I be building settlements, setting up defense turrets, raiding stores when I supposedly have this major, pressing family - related matter to resolve".  Obviously, that's the just the nature of the classic open-world, RPG mechanic but it takes you out of the story-immersion at times.

7)  Character leveling and perks is not very obvious so take your time and investigate what kind of "build" you want in the "S.P.E.C.I.A.L." system.  I invested a lot initially in Intelligence, Charisma, and Luck and I like the way its playing out so far but i may try it with more of a melee type build next to change it up.

Overall, about what feels to be 20-30% into the game, I'd give it an 8/10.  Its worth playing for both old fans and those new to the series as it sucks right in and always shows you something new over the next horizon.  

For loot in Fallout 4, it's best to just bring everything to the workbench in Sanctuary at first.

As you settle other areas, you can make NPC's "supply lines", which means you can access all of your junk in the Sanctuary workbench from anywhere. 

I'll have to check into the supply lines...I can honestly say I have probably missed some things in terms of tutorials or highlighted "recommendations" within the game.  When you have a 7 and 8 year old watching you play and asking you question after question, you tend to miss a few things. 

One of my favorite things about this Fallout game is the atmosphere. I feel they went above and beyond to make the world really creepy. It's so good I NEVER have my radio on. I just like the background sounds to fill up the game. I've seen pictures of different parts of the world that I haven't experienced yet that I can't wait to go to because of how strange and dark they look. I've heard rumors of getting caught in radiation storms and I'm stoked when that happens. Just an overall awesome feeling to the game that I felt they went a bit cheeseball in FO:NV. Also I'm just now following the Freedom Trail and exploring Boston. It has an Escape from N.Y./L.A. feel to it. One street is ruled by Supermutants and you have an epic fight on your hands, then you'll keep exploring and get attacked by a gang of wild dogs, then go down an alley and get ambushed by raiders. I also feel the animals are tougher in this game than the past ones. The fact that radscorpions and moles hide in the ground and come up wherever you least expect is awesome. Those radiation bears are tough as hell. They've set this game up to where you can't Leeroy Jenkins the game and I love it. Being cautious is key to the game and it makes the Fallout world that much better.

One of my favorite things about this Fallout game is the atmosphere. I feel they went above and beyond to make the world really creepy. It's so good I NEVER have my radio on. I just like the background sounds to fill up the game. I've seen pictures of different parts of the world that I haven't experienced yet that I can't wait to go to because of how strange and dark they look. I've heard rumors of getting caught in radiation storms and I'm stoked when that happens. Just an overall awesome feeling to the game that I felt they went a bit cheeseball in FO:NV. Also I'm just now following the Freedom Trail and exploring Boston. It has an Escape from N.Y./L.A. feel to it. One street is ruled by Supermutants and you have an epic fight on your hands, then you'll keep exploring and get attacked by a gang of wild dogs, then go down an alley and get ambushed by raiders. I also feel the animals are tougher in this game than the past ones. The fact that radscorpions and moles hide in the ground and come up wherever you least expect is awesome. Those radiation bears are tough as hell. They've set this game up to where you can't Leeroy Jenkins the game and I love it. Being cautious is key to the game and it makes the Fallout world that much better.

Agree in terms of the atmosphere...I have been caught in a couple of Radiation storms when I'd wander between settlements and they did a really nice job conveying the randomness of it.  Yeah, the animals are a pain as well...the Bears so far suck the most.  The molerats were a nuisance but having Codsworth around as my second helped as he was pretty gung-ho in buzz-sawing them.  I usually have the radio off except when I am working on the settlements and then I flip it to Diamond City Radio for some awesome 50's tunes - they did a nice job with the soundtrack (Although its limited and loops after awhile). Right now, I have Sanctuary pretty much completely settled and about 4 other farms/settlements on their way, I've joined up to work for the Brotherhood of Steel, am called General by the Minutemen, bought my own place in Diamond City, culled the Raiders at the Excavation site, broke Nick Valentine out of Vault 114, and about ready to do more exploring in Boston.  As of right now, its my favorite game in the series.

I haven't done any settlement building. Don't know if I will or not to be honest. Doesn't seem fun to me. I've heard people bitch about it also how it's hard to line up doors, walls, etc. We'll see. Maybe if I have a few hours and a bug up my ass I'll try to create a bitchin' settlement. For now I just dump all my junk in Sanctuary, go off to explore, fill up my load, dump it all in Sanctuary, wash rinse and repeat.

I haven't done any settlement building. Don't know if I will or not to be honest. Doesn't seem fun to me. I've heard people bitch about it also how it's hard to line up doors, walls, etc. We'll see. Maybe if I have a few hours and a bug up my ass I'll try to create a bitchin' settlement. For now I just dump all my junk in Sanctuary, go off to explore, fill up my load, dump it all in Sanctuary, wash rinse and repeat.

I've stripped the settlements off all junk and done the bare minimum to keep them settled and happy - which is food, water, beds and defense.  The other stuff like lining up chain link fences and gates and creating a "community", man, I don't think I'd have the patience for that either.  I've read some people have set up harvesting farms that help produce massive amounts of bottle caps but, honestly, I haven't had any trouble scavenging caps, ammo, weapons and everything else I've needed looting the wasteland.  With some of the longer battles/missions, you end up with more than you and your companion can carry out...and not just junk.  We're talking legendary weapons and gear, ammo, caps, aid, etc

I stick with the same 3 guns plus grenades/mines. Those with my clothing/gear and my "aid" comes out to about 140/220. When I go to a place I usually get just enough stuff to fill up and have my companion carry stuff. When I'm done with that building/place I just go back and empty everything in Sanctuary.

Also with the settlement thing I feel like I should scavange for a great settlement spot to make epic. I haven't found that place just yet. The Drive-In is pretty good, so if I don't find a better one in a few weeks I'll probably just settle there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So Fallout... the greatest tin can collection game ever programmed. If not tin, then aluminum and some random office supplies because you always need Elmers glue, a hotplate and random silverware to upgrade your Fusion rifle.

I got the power armor quickly then quickly sucked up the fusion core doing mindless quests killing mostly bugs and a couple of low end raiders all to get another home made pipe pistol. Should have read the Wiki on that one. 

Codsworth is a pretty solid partner against all things ghoul. The Super Mutant Strong likes to stand around with his sledgehammer on ranged targets even when he has a rifle. The reporter can't take much damage, Cait the cage match hooker is really aggressive so don't take her to sneak up on anything. Haven't used Vic the Bogart Synth but I think his lock pick skills are equal to whatever yours are.

I invested heavily in science ramping up computers and gun nut as quick as possible. Threw some perks in armor creation but I'm still a weakling out there, not much carry weight, not much melee strength. At first I thought you had to work linear down a skill tree. Again, should have read the Wiki, would have had a completely different perk spread.

My three favorite weapons so far is a .45 revolver, .45 assault rifle and assault shotgun. The night vision scoped sniper rifle has been useful as well. Quick save is your friend. I hate when I have looted a location and get tapped before getting out which resets you to some auto save point.

Leave the damn Swan alone!

Got the kids an Xbox One for Christmas.  7 and 5 year old.  I'd like to get a racing game to add to the mix (along with other games) but want something age appropriate but not boring as f**k.  Thought Forza might be a little much for their age.  Any suggestions for racing or other games?

At 7 and 5 they should be playing Mario cart.

Nate, the kids (mostly my 7 year old) have Minecraft and as you said...they love it.  They've been playing the tablet version for the better part of 2015.  Problem is....I am not interested in the slightest.  Which is why I thought I'd find a racing game that he can play with me or my wife.  I haven't played video games since the early to mid 1980's and haven't really had the urge.

Notti, Mario Cart is a Sony product I believe and isn't made for XBox One at this time.  But I will look into that ASAP.  Thanks for the replies.

Edited by HaloWHAM!