• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

[Fletcher: Where do the Angels go from here?] But it's not our money!

and yet they scored the most runs in MLB.  Go figure.

Lots of those came from solo homers, homers with runners on first, fielder errors, fielder choices, wild pitches, and bases loaded walks. 

If that's all you can get for Kendrick, then sign a number four starter because 4-5 WAR players don't grow on trees and ones that only make 8.5 Mil are a massive bargain.   

That I get, but the Catch-22 in all of this is Kendrick having just 1 year left on the contract.

Can anyone see them re-signing him after 2015, given being 33 in 2016?

As solid as he was in 2014, he is the Erv of position players, up one year and down the next. 

What guarantee do we have that he can duplicate 2014 in 2015?

I think the stretching Rasmus idea is sketchy.  I'm guessing if the Angels management believed he was capable of being stretched they would have done so.  My opinion is his success came from being able to throw hard knowing he wasn't going more than four innings.  I just don't think it is something the team should count on moving forward.

I think it's more that Scioscia didn't want to stretch him out after 3/4 of a season as a reliever. If you give him a full spring training to stretch out, maybe it can work.

I'm not saying we bank on it happening, but it's worth a shot.

I think the stretching Rasmus idea is sketchy.  I'm guessing if the Angels management believed he was capable of being stretched they would have done so.  My opinion is his success came from being able to throw hard knowing he wasn't going more than four innings.  I just don't think it is something the team should count on moving forward.

I'm beginning to realize this, and want them to make him into a lights out setup man in the O'Day mold.

He has the pitches for it, and pitched well throughout 2014 (56 MLB innings, 2.57 ERA, and 1.05 WHIP including just 17 BBs).

Street, Smith, Rasmus, Pestano, Morin, FA LOOGY, and Jepsen = potentially rock solid bullpen throughout 2015. 

With Bedrock Jr., Gott, and Diaz in waiting for great bullpen depth

I still like Santiago as a #5 starter.    With GRich, Weave, and Shoemaker, that only leaves Nibs to get his act together!   I know, wishful thinking.

We don't need no stinkin big money FA pitcher in his early 30s.

Edited by Angel Oracle

I don't see a whole lot of choice with at least giving Wilson the shot at the beginning of the season.  He's making what he is making and he really isn't the kind of guy you want in the pen.  I also highly doubt anyone is going to trade for him.

Hopefully Sosh shows as much patience with him next season as he showed with him his last few starts, ie, barely any.

I still think we could get someone to take on about $15mil of Wilson's contract, possibly even a little more. One other option worth exploring is doing that and using those savings + whatever money we have in the budget to sign a better starter.

I still think we could get someone to take on about $15mil of Wilson's contract, possibly even a little more. One other option worth exploring is doing that and using those savings + whatever money we have in the budget to sign a better starter.

Why is everyone so hell-bent on trading Wilson away? We have a huge shortage of starting pitchers. It's not like the Vernon Wells sitaution where we had a glut of outfielders so could afford to trade him away to get salary relief.

Lots of those came from solo homers, homers with runners on first, fielder errors, fielder choices, wild pitches, and bases loaded walks. 

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/batting/seasontype/2/split/39   Most runs scored with RISP in MLB.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/batting/seasontype/2/split/39/sort/OPS/order/true  5th best OPS with RISP in MLB    Those are raw numbers, not park adjusted which likely bring the Angels up a few slots.

But sure -- it was all because of errors, fielders choices, wild pitches and bases loaded walks etc etc....   

FTR, it sure seemed much much worse than the numbers indicate.  Just another indication of how much offense has dropped.

Edited by Inside Pitch

TV, revenue sharing and advertising.

Well, they tend to pay into revenue sharing but they are definitely getting the bulk of their money from media deals and advertising..

https://www.teammarketing.com/public/uploadedPDFs/2014+mlb+fci.pdf

Fan cost index between The Royals and Oakland A's.....     You know, those low revenue teams that can't draw....

Wilson's ERA+ as an Angel is 97. That means he has performed worse than league average, while being paid like a #2. Yes, he has been solid at times (and even the entirety of last year), but on the whole he hasn't come anywhere near meeting expectations.

I am worried that Seattle lands a big bat like Cruz. I think they may be the team to beat in the west next season. I think the Angels need to beef up the starting pitching in the upper levels of the system. I would like to see Howie traded for potential young pitching not major league ready. You can't get stuck in a situation like last season where you run out of starters and have to tax the pen for six weeks.

I am worried that Seattle lands a big bat like Cruz. I think they may be the team to beat in the west next season. I think the Angels need to beef up the starting pitching in the upper levels of the system. I would like to see Howie traded for potential young pitching not major league ready. You can't get stuck in a situation like last season where you run out of starters and have to tax the pen for six weeks.

Seattle turned out to BE the team in the AL West to beat (other than us). They aren't very far away from having a really solid team. So far that Cano thing has turned out well for them, which is annoying. 

I agree. What's the worst thing that can happen - he struggles and you convert him back to the long guy in the pen. I'd rather roll the dice with Rasmus in the first few weeks of the season than CJ. That dude looks done.

Player A 4.54 ERA lost 2.7 mph off fastball the last four years - owed $140 million

Player B 4.51 ERA lost .2 mph off fastball the last four years - owed $38 million

Which player is "done"?

Can you give us an exact breakdown of those numbers?

Let's start with all those runs scored, that was a total of 773. Earned runs scored was 729. So the difference was only 44 runs by fielder errors. That doesn't sound like a lot of runs given away to the Angels. I'm sure you can fill in the gaps.

Can you give us an exact breakdown of those numbers?

Let's start with all those runs scored, that was a total of 773. Earned runs scored was 729. So the difference was only 44 runs by fielder errors. That doesn't sound like a lot of runs given away to the Angels. I'm sure you can fill in the gaps.

Situation: [# Runs Scored]

Solo Homers: 94 (6th in MLB)

Run from HR w/ runner on 1st only: 54

All other runs w/ runner on 1st only: 41

bases loaded walks + HBP:   18 (1st in MLB)

Runs scored minus RBI with RISP:  39 (equivalent to runs scored due to fielders choice, wild pitch etc)

That's a total of 246 runs scored not as a result of RBI with RISP or approx 1/3rd of the Angels total runs scored for the season.

sources:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/split.cgi?t=b&team=LAA&year=2014

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/batting/seasontype/2/split/94

Edited by ScottLux

Situation: [# Runs Scored]

Solo Homers: 94 (6th in MLB)

Run from HR w/ runner on 1st only: 54

All other runs w/ runner on 1st only: 41

bases loaded walks + HBP:   18 (1st in MLB)

Runs scored minus RBI with RISP:  39 (equivalent to runs scored due to fielders choice, wild pitch etc)

That's a total of 246 runs scored not as a result of RBI with RISP or approx 1/3rd of the Angels total runs scored for the season.

sources:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/split.cgi?t=b&team=LAA&year=2014

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/batting/seasontype/2/split/94

So they led the entire league in runs scored by a multiple of different ways once IP's info comes into play...sounds pretty versatile being that can both slug and manufacture runs.  I'm not really seeing a problem here.

Just curious, if we could get someone to take on Wilson's 15 million dollar contract so we can sign a better pitcher:

why wouldn't this mystery team just sign the better pitcher instead of traded for Wilson?

Yeah, Lux, I'm looking at those numbers and wondering what your point is?

The Angels hit a lot of solo home runs, yay. The home run is not a controllable hit, not like you can just wait for runners on base and then hit your home run.

Then a completely pointless stat of home runs with a runner on first base. Well, yay again, what's the point? Would it be different if the runner was in scoring position somehow?

Bases loaded with walks, Yay three times over, it is still counted as an rbi with risp for the batter and better yet, he didn't create an out to do it.

That 1/3 sounds like league average except for the stat that Inside Pitch provided that says they had the 5th best OPS with RISP.

So you provided what Mullwin stated, they had a diverse offense.

Just curious, if we could get someone to take on Wilson's 15 million dollar contract so we can sign a better pitcher:

why wouldn't this mystery team just sign the better pitcher instead of traded for Wilson?

I think you misunderstood his comment. I think Wilson is owed approx 35 million over the last two years of his contract. He's saying the Angels would eat about 20 of the 35 M and another team would take a flyer on him for approx 7 M over the last two years hoping he'll bounce back and put up decent numbers.