• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

**** this

Brandon

I have seen some strange decisions, but in all honesty it is hard for me to lay this all on Scioscia. He was put in the position of trying to manufacture runs with a lineup not really structured for that because nobody is hitting.

This might be the best description I have heard yet.

expecting your manager to perform in such a way as to overcome the middle of your lineup completely shitting the bed seems reasonable.  

Well it's not like it was a 5 run game. It was a tie game and it wouldn't seem too unreasonable for a HOF manager like Scoiscia to pull the team through to a win with smart managing.

Scioscia was prominent in game1 with his inexplicable small ball excursion.  Twice sacrificing Aybar to afford Hamilton a RISP against a LHP.  Bad idea, squared.  Then topping if off with the Calhoun brain fart.  Even IF that play works, Scioscia has essentially neutralized 2 of his best hitters because KC would have certainly walked Trout to get to the GIDP machine.  Bad day for Scioscia, worse day for the offense.  Kudos to Weavs and the relief core for keeping them in it.

Game2 was just more of the game1 offensive implosion without the odd Scioscia small ball excursion.   Good job by Shoemaker.

Angels cruised into playoffs and are having a hard time getting out of cruise control.

Edited by 70runner

Well it's not like it was a 5 run game. It was a tie game and it wouldn't seem too unreasonable for a HOF manager like Scoiscia to pull the team through to a win with smart managing.

maybe.  I do think he deserves some criticism for some things he's done in these first two games, but it's like 90/10 on the offense/manager to this point.  Hardly enough to call for his head in my opinion.  

This might be the best description I have heard yet.

exactly.  MS was forced into a position where he had to ask for things from his players that they are used to.  It's actually kind of hypocritical in that people are asking MS to pull something out of his hat and get more out of his players yet he gets criticized for asking them to do something out of character.  

Witch is more of an embarrassement, the a's folding like a cheap lawn chair to end the season. Or us shitting all over ourselves on national in every possible way.

....or my typing skills in my post.

The folding like a cheap lawn chair... by far.

exactly.  MS was forced into a position where he had to ask for things from his players that they are used to.  It's actually kind of hypocritical in that people are asking MS to pull something out of his hat and get more out of his players yet he gets criticized for asking them to do something out of character.  

It's not something out of character. It's doing the in character things, like pinch hitting for Ianetta with someone who can bunt or PHing for Hamilton for someone who has a better chance to get a hit.

It's not something out of character. It's doing the in character things, like pinch hitting for Ianetta with someone who can bunt or PHing for Hamilton for someone who has a better chance to get a hit.

and if those moves don't work he gets trashed anyway.  by and large, you dance with the girl you brought.  The point is, nothing looks like a good choice when your players don't perform.  We are down in this series because the halos can't hit the ball

This is what I keep asking myself: did this team achieve the best record in baseball because of Sosh, or in spite of Sosh?  I know we had injuries, but this team has fallen flat when ever it really mattered.  You can blame the offense all you want, but at what point do you admit it's the manager's responsibility to have his team ready to play.  The team thus far in this series has come in flat-footed without having any kind of unified approach at the plate whatsoever.  With the exception of Calhoun, Freese, and possibly Iannetta, the offense seems to be swinging for the fences in every AB.  I know it's a touchy subject around here, but the booing of 'certain' players doesn't help one bit either.  I understand people are upset, but it's counterproductive when you start booing your own players.  It does nothing but fuel the misery and the fire.

and if those moves don't work he gets trashed anyway.  by and large, you dance with the girl you brought.  The point is, nothing looks like a good choice when your players don't perform.  We are down in this series because the halos can't hit the ball

If those moves don't work, they're still the better move for percentages . You can't assume potential  failure as an argument over what really happened .

PUT THE TEAM on a winning position and go from there.

TWO LOSSES that both were very winnable despite the hitting struggle .

This is what I keep asking myself: did this team achieve the best record in baseball because of Sosh, or in spite of Sosh?  I know we had injuries, but this team has fallen flat when ever it really mattered.  You can blame the offense all you want, but at what point do you admit it's the manager's responsibility to have his team ready to play.  The team thus far in this series has come in flat-footed without having any kind of unified approach at the plate whatsoever.  With the exception of Calhoun, Freese, and possibly Iannetta, the offense seems to be swinging for the fences in every AB.  I know it's a touchy subject around here, but the booing of 'certain' players doesn't help one bit either.  I understand people are upset, but it's counterproductive when you start booing your own players.  It does nothing but fuel the misery and the fire.

How come the Cardinals enter the playoffs year in and year out looking like they really mean business ?

No matter what their record is .

This team won despite Mike . Who decided to pull the plug on Ibanez and Ernesto ? Dipoto I think.

If those moves don't work, they're still the better move for percentages . You can't assume potential  failure as an argument over what really happened .

PUT THE TEAM on a winning position and go from there.

TWO LOSSES that both were very winnable despite the hitting struggle .

so you assume success instead?  that's called revisionist history.  the team's best position to win is to assume they hit the ball like they have all season.  taking them out of that and putting in a ph to bunt is out of charactoer.  Don't get me wrong, I agree with some of the criticism he is getting, but most of it is inconsistent.  

'put them in a position to win like they did before', and then 'do something different to help them'.  Either you trust your team to do what they are supposed to or you don't

Swept by the Royals (probably) first round after missing the playoffs 4 straight years. That is not a good 5 years no matter how you spin it. Scioscia is not some kind of sacred manager that can't be touched. At this point they need to legitimately evaluate some possible alternatives. I mean it's not like this team makes the playoffs every year. They got in this year which was awesome, but this kind of failure in the playoffs is something we've seen way too much since 2002. It's not all his fault obviously, I just think it'd be ludicrous to not reevaluate his job. 2 postseason series wins in 12 years is bordering on pathetic.  

so you assume success instead?  that's called revisionist history.  the team's best position to win is to assume they hit the ball like they have all season.  taking them out of that and putting in a ph to bunt is out of charactoer.  Don't get me wrong, I agree with some of the criticism he is getting, but most of it is inconsistent.  

'put them in a position to win like they did before', and then 'do something different to help them'.  Either you trust your team to do what they are supposed to or you don't

He didn't trust KC to hit that ball on 2-0 and 3-1 count . I seriously doubt he even knew what KC hits and his OPS in those counts .

He didn't trust Aybar on a hit  and run. Instead he bunted him . To get to Hambone ? LOL

Swept by the Royals (probably) first round after missing the playoffs 4 straight years. That is not a good 5 years no matter how you spin it. Scioscia is not some kind of sacred manager that can't be touched. At this point they need to legitimately evaluate some possible alternatives. I mean it's not like this team makes the playoffs every year. They got in this year which was awesome, but this kind of failure in the playoffs is something we've seen way too much since 2002. It's not all his fault obviously, I just think it'd be ludicrous to not reevaluate his job. 2 postseason series wins in 12 years is bordering on pathetic.  

Sosh HAS NO BALLS.

He's scared to hurt feeling and ego of his vets .

And he's clueless on the percentages .

so you assume success instead? that's called revisionist history. the team's best position to win is to assume they hit the ball like they have all season. taking them out of that and putting in a ph to bunt is out of charactoer. Don't get me wrong, I agree with some of the criticism he is getting, but most of it is inconsistent.

'put them in a position to win like they did before', and then 'do something different to help them'. Either you trust your team to do what they are supposed to or you don't

ph to bunt is not out of character. He's done it before this season and he should have done it tonight

Whether he has balls or not isn't the main problem IMO. It's part of the problem. He just overmanages and makes the wrong decisions too often. Playing Hamilton is something that I do really wonder about though. The catering to veterans is not new with Sosh. We saw it with Wells, GMJR, Abreu, Finley, etc.

That is something that does make me question his courage and ability to say enough is enough and give a young guy a chance. I think he lets his loyalty get the best of him far too often. 

In the playoffs you just can't have that crap. You need the best 9 guys out there. I look at other teams lineups, and there are no automatic outs like Hamilton is right now. Watched the Giants play today, and man, 1-8 (pitcher bats) those guys are not easy outs. Everyone's a threat to have an 8 pitch at bat ending in a basehit. Putting a guy as bad as Hamilton is in the lineup at this point in the season is basically waving the white flag