• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Arte Moreno on whether he would sell the Angels ...

Dollar Bill

Arte Moreno did not acquire billionaire status by mistake. He is a very smart man and it shows in this interview. We as fans are lucky to have him.

For those of us who remember Gene's later years when Jackie was running things and trying to preserve as much of her inheritance as possible, we are lucky to have him.

Not exactly the answer I was looking for. I was hoping to hear him say "Never". I understand it's a business, but I wonder if at some point a billionaire's own mortality hits them and they realize they can't take their wealth into the afterlife and at what point is enough money enough.

If you're looking to make a lasting impression on this world, what echoes through time "Random Billionaire Dies" or "Beloved Angels owner and community member passes".

I just think that if it were me in his shoes, bigger picture I'd never sell the team because you're a part of their history and they'll be around long after you and your money.

So Arte will entertain offers to sell the team? Need to start a paypal fund here til we finally get the Los Angeles Angelswins. We will have a different lineup every day, make around 43 trades by May, and fire the manager after 3 consecutive losses.

Spot on, up until the 3 consecutive losses thing.   Manager will be fired after each loss for the LA Angelswins.

I don't think he would ever sell the team, but business is business and if someone is dumb enough to pay him more than double the estimated value of the club, like what just happened in the Clippers' sale, I don't think any owner would turn that down.

Edited by gurn67

I'm buying the team. I'll move it to Irwindale then change the name to Anaheim Angels.

Gotta think bigger than that: the New York Angels. New York is the largest market in the United States and has a lengthy baseball history. It would also give the Angels access to preferential coverage in the East Coast biased media.

I think he will sell the team. He put it out there. I seriously doubt that he's going to shell out additional $100+M contracts after what he's been through with Pujols and Hamilton. I'm sure that Arte envisioned a championship in 2012 and 2013 with the hefty payroll he committed.

Arte is already on the hook for about $200M to renovate the stadium regardless of the outcome of the land deal. He could get out of it by selling the team. It's business. I don't blame him.

I think he will sell the team. He put it out there. I seriously doubt that he's going to shell out additional $100+M contracts after what he's been through with Pujols and Hamilton. I'm sure that Arte envisioned a championship in 2012 and 2013 with the hefty payroll he committed.

Arte is already on the hook for about $200M to renovate the stadium regardless of the outcome of the land deal. He could get out of it by selling the team. It's business. I don't blame him.

^^^This^^^....He doesn't talk just to hear himself talk, doesn't make a lot of public comments, a la Jerry Jones or other egomaniac owners.....you have to wonder why he would have even brought it up unless he had something in mind....doesn't mean he wants out badly enough to take a bath in a sale but, seemingly, he wants the word out there that he'll listen....

We can only hope that, if he ever does sell, the buyer is another Arte or Gene Autry....I remember Disney and Jackie Autry....

Or maybe he's simply pragmatic. You guys are looking way too much into this. He was asked a questioned and answered it honestly. He didn't go out of his way to talk about selling the team.

The name change was always a simple business proposition. Anyone against it is ok with a failing business model and was always going to be fighting a losing battle....I still laugh at the thought of three people picketing on the corner of Katella.