• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

NHL Expansion to Vegas - Official

gotbeer

The only new Canadian expansion team that could be in the western conference is if one were located in the city of Regina in the state Saskatchewan.

Toronto doesn't need another team, they should consider Halifax, Nova Scotia or St. Johns, Newfoundland.

Giving Toronto another team would be like giving LA another NBA team.

Go learn more about the business side of owning a sports franchise and then come back. Besides the fact that those cities don't have enough people, they also don't have enough coporate support to properly support an NHL team. Also, are there any perspective owners in those cities? Who's going to pay for a 20,000 seat arena?

Edited by TeemuTrout

What about Halifax, Nova Scotia ?  Halifax according to Wikipedia has more people than the city of Anaheim.

The city of Anaheim is in a county, and metropolitan area, with millions and millions of people.

Edited by TeemuTrout

Go learn more about the business side of owning a sports franchise and then come back. Besides the fact that those cities don't have enough people, they also don't have enough coporate support to properly support an NHL team. Also, are there any perspective owners in those cities? Who's going to pay for a 20,000 seat arena?

Winnipeg has a team & has literallty the same amount of people as Halifax. Winnipeg also has less people in their province than Nova Scotia. Same market size.

Also their population is less spread out due to being smaller in terms of land & thus people across Nova Scotia could easily get to Halifax. There is also something called ownership groups.

It would be a interesting investment for Nova Scotia if they had a ownership group that got together to do it.

If they had the arena already & the owner they would fill seats better than the Arizona Coyotes & higher tv ratings.

I wouldn't underestimate Canadian markets the size of Winnipeg's. What Winnipeg has lacked in market size & population they make up with Canadian Hockey Fans who fill seats, buy jerseys & support their teams even during a rebuilding process.

One day when they have a ownership group that can build a team there, it probally will succeed like Winnipeg has.

Edited by MikeScioscia4MVP

I think the biggest issue with Canada isn't the fan base.  But it's the currency.  Right now, they are reaping a favorable exchange rate.  But the times when they struggled, is when the exchange rate was unfavorable.  

This will be a cyclical thing for Hockey and really any sport that crosses the border.  

And this is one of the reason why I think Mexico would be horrible for any sport to go over there on a full time basis.  England on the other hand would be more stable in terms of currency for say the NFL.  

Wait, what? I have a friend that lives in St John New Brunswick and it is Atlantic.

Don't confuse Saint John and St. John's. Saint John is in New Brunswick on the mainland, and St. John's is in Newfoundland on the eastern end of the island. Only the island is on Newfoundland time, which is 30 minutes later than Atlantic.

Ironically, the hockey game that I took my grandfather to the last time I visited Newfoundland was Saint John vs. St. John's - the Saint John Flames vs. the St. John's Maple Leafs. Fittingly, it ended in a tie.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

I think the biggest issue with Canada isn't the fan base.  But it's the currency.  Right now, they are reaping a favorable exchange rate.  But the times when they struggled, is when the exchange rate was unfavorable.  

This will be a cyclical thing for Hockey and really any sport that crosses the border.  

And this is one of the reason why I think Mexico would be horrible for any sport to go over there on a full time basis.  England on the other hand would be more stable in terms of currency for say the NFL.  

I wouldn't say that. It's down to .77 cents, which is the lowest in 11 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Poker star Daniel Negreanu plans to buy slice of Vegas franchise

This would be an interesting quandry for the NHL.  While Negreanu would be a pretty big name for the ownership group.  Having a professional gambler as partial owner of a sports franchise goes into a lot of grey areas.  

Him being a minority owner can't be a bigger deal than Dr. Jerry Buss and his poker habits.

hqdefault.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Las Vegas, Quebec City advance in NHL expansion process

I think Vegas is a done deal.  

With Quebec, there are still lot's of NHL questions.  East already has 2 more teams than the west.  Vegas will make the difference 1, which isn't as big of a deal in hockey since they play every other dayish.  Quebec though will make the division difference 2 again.  Unless of course the league realigns itself once again.  

My bet would be Vegas gets the expansion.  With Quebec waiting another 2+ years till hopefully Seattle gets it's act together.  Or, a team packs up and moves to Seattle and in 2 years you have the two new with the one moved.  

Cloud of uncertainty over Hurricanes as Quebec beckons

Interesting.  This would make logical sense since Florida is being Florida.  

Hurricanes are the one team that doesn't know what they are doing or which direction they are headed.

They can't even get the #1/#2 pick every year like Edmonton & Buffalo.

Their not consistant at finishing with the 1st or 2nd worst record.

Every draft year its the guy after Hall/Seguin types for them, like always the #3 to #5 pick instead.

Aside from Tampa, Dallas and perhaps Nashville, hockey has not worked particularly well in the south. The Panthers and the Hurricanes are at the bottom of the league in attendance, and Atlanta has already lost two teams to Canadian cities.

The truly amazing NHL city is Toronto. The Leafs haven't been relevant in decades, and they still draw over 19K per game on average.