• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

NHL Expansion to Vegas - Official

gotbeer

the last time i was in vegas, we headed over to the excalibur on saturday night to see if we could get in to their tournament show. when we were dropped off by the taxi, the number of 20-something women out on the prowl was staggering, and it completely makes this name relevant . . . 

the las vegas skanks

Las Vegas Gamblers

Las Vegas Aces

Las Vegas Mob

Las Vegas Pit Bosses

Las Vegas Lions (although Bailey might have a problem with it.  But it is at the MGM right?)

Las Vegas Dam

Las Vegas Strip

Las Vegas Neon or Lights

Las Vegas Sin

Las Vegas Mustangs (as in the ranch, don't think chicken will work)

Okay, I'm just putting whatever words in now.  

the last time i was in vegas, we headed over to the excalibur on saturday night to see if we could get in to their tournament show. when we were dropped off by the taxi, the number of 20-something women out on the prowl was staggering, and it completely makes this name relevant . . .

the las vegas skanks

Reminds me too much of an aging baseball team in New York.

Guess you wouldn't like my more recent thought.

The Las Vegas People Who Won't Shut Up About How Great Las Vegas Used to Be But Now Is A Soulless Shell Of Its Former Glory

Trying to imagine the logo for that one...

There are a lot of people who don't like the fact that the city constantly evolves and old landmarks disappear all the time. I miss some of the old places, but a city this heavily dependent upon tourism has to continually remake itself lest it get stale. People stop coming if there is nothing new for them.

I was considering the Las Vegas Schizophrenics. The city seems to be a magnet for them. If you have visited the Strip I'm sure you have seen them: The guys wearing tattered, dirty winter coats when it's 110 degrees, pushing a shopping cart with warped wheels holding all of their belongings in a lawn bag.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

• 3 weeks later...

Fans on board as Winnipeg Jets rocket toward possible playoff spot

further down in the article.

What happens in Vegas

Commissioner Gary Bettman emphasized that allowing potential Las Vegas expansion owner Bill Foley to conduct a season-ticket drive to gauge interest in a team didn't mean the NHL is ready to expand. Repeated expressions of interest from the city, Bettman said at a meeting of the board of governors in Boca Raton, Fla., "has raised lots of questions about the market itself and the interest level in supporting a professional team in Las Vegas." Translation: If there's money to be made, the NHL is ready to place its bet.

Edited by gotbeer

One thing that puzzles me greatly is the talk of putting a second team in Toronto. I know that hockey is huge in Canada (my Canadian grandfather was a lifelong Leafs fan), but two clubs in the same city?

Something definitely has to be done with the Florida Panthers, though. Miami will never be a great hockey market, and no amount of marketing will change that.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

And in case anyone hasn't heard.  

Winnipeg.  Minimum commitment for season tickets.  3 years.  For Suites 5 years.  So far, season tickets sold out with a 90% retention rate.  Waiting list is 3000.  Suites sold out except for 2 they keep for I guess promotions.  

It may be that Toronto can support 2 teams.  Heck who would have guessed that Los Angeles could support two teams.  And the Toronto area does have 6 million in population and is located in that north eastern area.  

So Florida to Toronto, and Phoenix to Vegas?

If the SoCal and NYC markets can support two and three teams respectively, Toronto easily can. The ticket demand is crazy for Leafs games and all they do is disappoint on an annual basis. The only catches to having a second team there are: The Maple Leafs who don't want to share the market, and the other owners wanting a significant cut for the privilege of playing in the greater TO area.

So Florida to Toronto, and Phoenix to Vegas?

I just don't know if the league would allow the Coyotes to move after all the stadium mess in Arizona.

It may be that Toronto can support 2 teams.  Heck who would have guessed that Los Angeles could support two teams.  And the Toronto area does have 6 million in population and is located in that north eastern area.

That is less than one third of the estimated population in the two areas you mentioned. Moving another team to town because the Leafs suck every year seems a little off. There have to be other cities in Canada that could support a team.

It seems to me that there are enough NHL franchises struggling at the gate that new cities wanting to enter the league could be accommodated without expansion.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

One problem though with any professional teams in Canada.  No matter what, salaries are based on US dollars, so if the Canadian dollar turns, teams could be facing major financial hurdles.  The major exodus of Canadian teams to the US was mainly because of this.  Right now the average of US/Can exchange for 2014 is 1.10.  But starting from 1992 all the way to 2005, the rate was on the low end 1.2 and on the high end coming in 2002 at 1.56.  

So that's got to be something in the backs of the minds of the NHL brass.  

• 1 month later...

Ads were run during the Super Bowl soliciting deposits on season tickets for a potential Las Vegas NHL team. The new owner is said to favor using the name "Nevada" for the team instead of "Las Vegas" - which I believe is a load of crap. An NHL team is not going to have statewide appeal to start with.

Doesn't seem to have hurt the Broncos any not to be called Colorado.