• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

NHL Expansion to Vegas - Official

gotbeer

You can't really get much more money from a nationial tv deal from Canada while they is plenty of upside in the States. Plus there are no options in Canada that would naturally slide into the 14 team Western Conference.

There has been no formal announcement, but formality seems to be all that is left. The team colors have been chosen (black, gray and gold), our team doesn't have a name yet, but it appears that we are about to become a pro sports town - at long last. After so many false starts and unkept promises, this may be finally about to come to fruition.

NHL Seems Likely to Boldly Expand to Las Vegas Strip

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

There has been no formal announcement, but formality seems to be all that is left. The team colors have been chosen (black, gray and gold), our team doesn't have a name yet, but it appears that we are about to become a pro sports town - at long last. After so many false starts and unkept promises, this may be finally about to come to fruition.

NHL Seems Likely to Boldly Expand to Las Vegas Strip

The way they are talking.  It sure does sound like Vegas is a sure thing.  Heck, I think the owners or the NHL brass already took a tour of the new stadium.  

The other site though, is still up in the air.  Seattle has the lead.  But the stadium is the big thing that may hold it up for them.  It does make so much sense to put it in Seattle though.  

One thing that sucks though is the franchise fee.  $500 million sounds a bit too high.  Considering, Forbes has the Capitals at $500 million valuation and they are #11.  Ducks are at $365 million.  A team like the Blues are at $235 million.  

The way they are talking.  It sure does sound like Vegas is a sure thing.  Heck, I think the owners or the NHL brass already took a tour of the new stadium.  

The other site though, is still up in the air.  Seattle has the lead.  But the stadium is the big thing that may hold it up for them.  It does make so much sense to put it in Seattle though.  

One thing that sucks though is the franchise fee.  $500 million sounds a bit too high.  Considering, Forbes has the Capitals at $500 million valuation and they are #11.  Ducks are at $365 million.  A team like the Blues are at $235 million.  

I think they pricing the expansion team as they would for one in Toronto, Quebec etc. But I don't see how Vegas could ever hope to overcome the initial cost unless this team is purely a vanity project for an owner.

I think they pricing the expansion team as they would for one in Toronto, Quebec etc. But I don't see how Vegas could ever hope to overcome the initial cost unless this team is purely a vanity project for an owner.

I don't believe that this guy is hurting for money. It has also been said that he prefers building from the ground up rather than taking on an existing franchise with potentially years of negative baggage to overcome. I'm sure that the team will take their lumps early on, but if the right people are in place it could be a fun ride.

I'm just trying to imagine the atmosphere in town if we were in the Stanley Cup finals.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

I don't believe that this guy is hurting for money. It has also been said that he prefers building from the ground up rather than taking on an existing franchise with potentially years of negative baggage to overcome. I'm sure that the team will take their lumps early on, but if the right people are in place it could be a fun ride.

I'm just trying to imagine the atmosphere in town if we were in the Stanley Cup finals.

Took the Ducks 10 years from scratch to get to the Stanley Cup and 14 to win it.  But the first few years, even though they were losing was a bunch of fun, since there was the new car smell to it.  

This city has never had our own team in anything other than arena football. Will be interesting to see the reaction. I just hope that the team isn't totally dreadful for several years.

It will be.  Hopefully you will bring in good hockey guys.  The owner already seems like a plus.  But once his money is starting to get spent, and if he starts meddling and thinking he knows more than the scouts and management, then you could be in trouble.  Hopefully he's like the Ducks owner, and is more interested in using the game as a distraction from his real work, and letting the hockey people run it.  

Oh wow.  Sounds like a rumor, maybe to get the city of Phoenix or Glendale to ante up.  But it could also be possible.  One of those smoke and mirror things.  But seems highly highly unlikely.  Look at it this way.  If Phoenix moves to Vegas, then Seattle and Toronto get the big new franchises.  That means 3 new areas instead of 2.  Again, highly highly unlikely, but where there is smoke...

Report: The Coyotes are moving to Vegas in 2016-17

NHL, Coyotes vehemently deny report team is moving to Las Vegas

Edited by gotbeer

The only new Canadian expansion team that could be in the western conference is if one were located in the city of Regina in the state Saskatchewan.

Toronto doesn't need another team, they should consider Halifax, Nova Scotia or St. Johns, Newfoundland.

Giving Toronto another team would be like giving LA another NBA team.

It will be.  Hopefully you will bring in good hockey guys.  The owner already seems like a plus.  But once his money is starting to get spent, and if he starts meddling and thinking he knows more than the scouts and management, then you could be in trouble.  Hopefully he's like the Ducks owner, and is more interested in using the game as a distraction from his real work, and letting the hockey people run it.  

I haven't gotten much of a read on the new owner in terms of how involved - if at all - he might be in player acquisitions. Like you said, I hope that he doesn't go Steinbrenner/Moreno on us and decide that he knows better than the GM or the coach who they need to bring in, or sign a player who was once a big name but is declining to a big money contract just for publicity.

VHF, I passed the stadium while in Vegas.  It's really looking nice.  At least from the freeway.  They've pretty much enclosed it now, so must be close to finished on the inside.  

Hopefully the bidding process is just a formality for Foley.  For the other cities, it might be more of a problem in their bids.  I just don't see the effort put in elsewhere, that Foley has put in.  

• 2 weeks later...

The only new Canadian expansion team that could be in the western conference is if one were located in the city of Regina in the state Saskatchewan.

Toronto doesn't need another team, they should consider Halifax, Nova Scotia or St. Johns, Newfoundland.

St. John's is a place I know a little about. Simply put, the size of the city and the local economy would not support an NHL franchise. St. John's has a total population of just over 211,000 people, and there are no other population centers of significance nearby. The population of the entire province is estimated to be about 526,000 people, and this includes those living on the mainland in Labrador.

While Newfoundlanders certainly love hockey, logistically it wouldn't work in St. John's at the professional level. 

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

What about Halifax, Nova Scotia ?  Halifax according to Wikipedia has more people than the city of Anaheim.

Their province has more people than Manitoba which has a NHL team already in Winnipeg.

Would still be a small market but they would sell out every game & people across the whole Nova Scotian province would buy Jerseys, watch games etc.

They are proud of their province.