• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Will Sterling Buy the Angels?

Ok, I applaud the thought process in this.  And if the stadium deal falls through, I can see it happening.  

From the hypothetical you gave, that is a great incentive for Sterling to buy.   And for the stupid price that is expected for the Clippers.  This is the damn Clippers mind you.  Not even in the hemisphere, although I wish they would burn in hell, especially that fat tub of lard that does the shoe commercials, of the Doggies.  2 billion for the Clippers is just absurd.  Even if he offers $1 billion for the angels, considering Arte paid 1 and change, and if his deal for the stadium is indeed in dire straights.  It's possible.

But there is that whole thing he said.  And MLB probably would not approve of the sale.  

In the end though.  A bigger threat might not be the Angels, but the land in which the Angels are on.  Because the MLB has no say in who buys that.  

Probably would not? There is a greater chance of Raul Ibanez hitting .400 this year than there is of the MLB approving Sterling as an owner.  It would ruin the league.  C'mon.  

I do not think that buying property (the Angels parking lot) would be considered a "like" purchase under the 1033 rules so that is why I suggested buying another sports team which would be a "like" exchange.  The poster that suggested a soccer team purchase for Sterling will probably win the prize for the best guess. 

nobody can possibly believe that any organization would have anything to do with sterling. he's down and out, and once the clippers are sold out from under him the next time you hear of him will probably be his death from prostate cancer.

This thread is stupid on so many levels, but even the opening premise doesn't fit:

Under Section 1033, an involuntary conversion is defined as a destruction or loss of the property through casualty, theft or condemnation action pursuant to government powers of eminent domain, and the resulting compensation from such destruction or condemnation. [iRC Section 1033(a)].

Even though the sale and/or compensation for the property were essentially forced on the taxpayer, the taxpayer is still liable for any capital gain tax liability on the compensation received. However, if the property is subject to an “involuntary conversion”, the taxpayer has the ability to defer the payment of the depreciation recapture and capital gain taxes on the involuntary conversion under the non-recognition provisions of Section 1033. [iRC Section 1033].

You tell me how Sterling selling the Clippers fits any of the bolded above.  It has to be casualty or theft or eminent domain by the government.

Has the OP even seen any of the donald sterling interviews the past few weeks?

Someone in authority made official what anyone with a brain could see... that he's mentally unfit.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/clippers/2014/05/30/donald-sterling-mental-health-shelly-los-angeles-sale-steve-ballmer/9754549/

But yeah, he can buy the Angels.