• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Bo Porter leaves Astros dugout to confront Jed Lowrie over unwritten rules violation

JAHV76

Putting on a shift then complaining the batter is trying to hit to the hole is ****ing stupid on the Astros/Porter's part. It is the 1st inning and the opposing team has 8 more innings to come back. No way in hell do you back off the throttle.

Porter wants the opposition to play be unwritten rules when he can't even follow the rule book changing pitchers. Learn the game rules first then start lecturing about the good old boys rules.

Porter should thank Lowrie for bunting at all...he's not very fast. Kind of lessens the chances of him getting on base.

It's also the first freaking inning and if you're going to get upset then you're basically saying my team isn't good enough to comeback.

Edited by DW711

Bo Porter is not baseball smart, but he pretends to be a scholar of baseballogy. Despite this fact, he continues to prance around like oaf while disrespecting people who are smarter than he is. There is no doubt that Bo and the Astros are a match made in idiot heaven. 

i think the sentient point is that if you are going to employ the shift strategy on a hitter, then he has every right to combat that with his own counter strategy, in this case bunting.

i hate unwritten rules. play the game hard within the context of the rule book. everything else is for nancys.

If I were Houston's GM, Porter would be gone today -- the only reason he may not be is because no one really wants the Houston job, Porter has a contract and the Astros can afford to pay the salary of TWO managers for a 100 loss team that averages (it seems by watching the games played in Houston on TV) about 15,000 per game (and that estimate might be high) in attendance.  Heck, in Texas, Friday night high school football has bigger crowds than that and the first day of U of Texas Longhorns Spring Practice probably draws five times that.

even for a guy's first MLB manager's job, he's going to wind up with a 100 loss season on his record.........so if Houston do want to replace Proter..tough to find any takers.

what unwritten rule?  It wasn't the top of the eighth or even ninth inning, it was the FIRST inning and Houston deployed one of those extreme, play the hitter to pull the ball shifts........so Lowrie lays down a bunt and because it was not that good of a bunt the Houston pitcher is able to field it and throw the less than fleet foot Lowrie out at first base..........

what's the big deal?

If Porter is going to act like that then he needs to go back to coaching Little League teams where over-hyped coaches and parents have this kind of reaction.........

I think I've seen more shifts this season than all of my previous 40 years of watching the game put together. It seems like before that only the dead pull left handed sluggers like David Ortiz would get the shift but now it's even light hitting middle fielders. I don't know if other teams are doing this, but I did see a game where the third baseman moved to the right of second base position instead of the shortstop, which actually makes more sense because then he's the only guy playing out of position plus the SS can cover more ground on the left side if needed.

I think I've seen more shifts this season than all of my previous 40 years of watching the game put together. It seems like before that only the dead pull left handed sluggers like David Ortiz would get the shift but now it's even light hitting middle fielders. I don't know if other teams are doing this, but I did see a game where the third baseman moved to the right of second base position instead of the shortstop, which actually makes more sense because then he's the only guy playing out of position plus the SS can cover more ground on the left side if needed.

shifts = defensive sabermetrics. it's as simple as that.

shifts = defensive sabermetrics. it's as simple as that.

I understand why they do it. In fact, if you do the math, it's made sense forever. For example, if a guy is a dead pull hitter and hits 90% of his groundballs to the right side of second the extra amount that will be fielded way outnumbers the few extra hits to the other side. Also, I can remember computer simulation games tracking batted balls in play over 30 years ago. I guess I'm surprised it took this long for supposedly smart managers & coaches to figure out that it's a good strategy. I know I've seen articles on how the Pirates started doing this and had remarkable success last season as a result. However, I don't watch much NL baseball, so maybe the AL is a year late to adjust.