• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

David Freese or Ian Stewart?

Chuck

David Freese or Ian Stewart??  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Which 3B would you like to start for the Angels?

• David Freese
    • Ian Stewart
    • A Straight Platoon

yeah, Stewart was a pretty good prospect with Colorado......his credentials there sort of got marked down there a bit -- the 'Coors Field' affect -- but he's solid.

Freese was a flyer for us -- he came over IMO clearly not the player he once was coming off prior injuries -- he really wasn't that great to begin with but playing in hometown St. Louis had some very timely success (being a World Series hero in your hometown which happens to be the best baseball city in America helps with the PR image)......nothing against Freese, we got him to beef up the offense at the corner position knowing that his D there was suspect........

Ian Stewart (gotta love that Scottish name, start playing the pipes!!) is a solid utility guy who can start in a pinch and you don't lose much......he is hitting well and is a better fielder than Freese.

Meanwhile, if Howie is at 2nd and Aybar is at SS for the full nine -- I don't mind putting McDonald out there at 3B in the late innings -- that guy can play good D anywhere in the infield -- he could even play a good 1B if need be........the Romine trade to Detroit looking better and better (I like Alvarez the pitcher we got in that deal) and Old McDonald (bet he hates that name) has proven to be a real solid MIF late inning D guy and now McDonald's hitting half way decently as well.......heck, anything above .230 is a bonus from him.

Yep, as I was saying. Ian Stewart FTW!

I don't give a shit if he's striking out 40% of the time if he's hitting bombs and extra bases 60% of the time.

Much better than what we've gotten from Freese, and like I mentioned in this thread, Freese lifetime is a much better hitter vs. southpaws.

Good game tonight, Stew!

I talked to an Angels exec recently and he said to expect a better showing this season from Ian Stewart.

I then heard Rojas mention on the air today that Stewart worked out with Rod Carew in the offseason on his swing. They worked out quite a bit from what I was told.

1. Stewart had a better spring than Freese. Stewart batted .298/.370/.511 with three homers and six RBI over 47 spring at-bats.

2. His balance at the plate looks a lot like Josh Hamilton. Has much more raw power than Freese.

3. Ian is known to be a better 3B defensively.

4. Stewart was a top prospect, top draft pick, so he has the pedigree Freese doesn't have.

5. Stewart is hungry after struggling with the Rockies, then cut by two teams.

I know it's a small sample size to look at stats, but Stewart's at bats in ST and early on have looked a lot better than Freese. David Freese has looked awful chasing high fastballs and offering at sliders low and away.

Which of the two would you like to start or would you go for a straight platoon with Stewart starting against righties and Freese against lefties?

6. Stewart is a much better baserunner and quicker know the base paths than Freese.