• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

David Freese or Ian Stewart?

Chuck

David Freese or Ian Stewart??  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Which 3B would you like to start for the Angels?

• David Freese
    • Ian Stewart
    • A Straight Platoon

Had no idea Stewart was a 1st round draft pick. He was the number 10 pick of the draft! Does anyone happen to have a scouting report of Stewart back then? Really curious to see what scouts saw in him for him to be a top 10 pick, obviously other than his power.

Proof that draft picks, no matter how high, are a crap shoot.

Wasn't Hudler the first pick of the draft?

Until Bourjos has a healthy full productive season and Grichuk makes a big league roster somewhere and has any kind of success it's premature to say it was a bad trade.

Freese could also pull his head out and put together a productive season still.

Time will tell.

Bourjos had a healthy 2011.  He was healthy 2012, but was beating out by Trout, and the need to play Trumbo and Wells, and Abreu.  He was only unhealthy last year.

Looking up Stewarts career stats:  I am impressed.  He had an OPS of:

.857 in 2007, .804 in 2008, .785 in 2009, .781 in 2010.

Those look like awfully good numbers.  Was he hurt in 2011-2013 or was I missing something?  It says he only played in 67 games in 2013, 55 games in 2012, and 48 games in 2011.  What is his deal?

Rex was the 18th overall pick in the 1978 draft.

Of course 1st round picks are not sure things. That said, there is a legitimate reason why teams are not willing to sacrifice a 1st round pick to sign Drew and Kendrys + the FA value of others has been hurt so much by having a lost pick associated with the player.

In aggregate, 1st round picks present tremendous value. You should cherish them like many desired My Precious.

Those look like awfully good numbers.  Was he hurt in 2011-2013 or was I missing something?  It says he only played in 67 games in 2013, 55 games in 2012, and 48 games in 2011.  What is his deal?

Those numbers are off. In 2007, he had a .633 OPS in 46 PA. You have the correct stats for 2008-2010, but he didn't have an ML time in 2013 (you posted he played in 63 games). Not sure if he was injured, but my guess is he saw reduced playing time because of a .464 OPS in 139 PA in 2011.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/stewaia01.shtml

Those numbers were put up while he played for the Rockies.  His OPS+ (compared to league average and adjusted for park factors) from 2008-10 was 98--so slightly below average.

His recent major league and minor league numbers have been atrocious--as in catastrophically awful.  That, coupled with numerous instances of him pretty much just being a jackass and having a bad attitude, makes me need a lot more than a few scattered ABs before I'm onboard with him.

nice thread Chuck. 

I have been on the secret Stewart bandwagon from the beginning and thought there was a good chance he would displace freese at some point.  Not totally of course, but to a platoon which is what I voted.

Stewart struggled early in spring and then warmed up with more at bats.  He cooled off early because of a lack of pt, but I think he will heat up again now that Josh is out. 

I actually liked that they kept him out of spring.  I think it gave him the best chance mentally as he's had issues in that realm. 

He's a much better defender than Freese as well.  So if they are both going to hit .240, I'd take Stewart every day. 

That Freese trade is still a mystery to me.  JD doesn't seem to fare well when trading for an established player.  I still think Bourjos could have gotten us a very good reliever or a pitching prospect and the real tragedy of that trade was not only losing Grichuk but adding Salas.  But what's done is done.  I do agree that there is a good chance that trade means a whole lot of nothing to either party. 

I've moved on from the trade and I don't think any of us will know how it will pan out for another year or two. 

That said, you have to do what is best for your team NOW if you believe that games in April do indeed count toward the end goal of getting to the playoffs. 

But yeah, I'm with you. Ian Stewart has intrigued me from the get-go and I was pleased to see him respond well this spring and to see how well he's balanced at the plate. His power is unquestioned, as is his defense. 

It's alarming and ridiculous how many people have given up on Freese with sarcastic comments after such a small sample size.

Although I favor Stewart facing more RH pitchers Freese will be an asset this season.

It's not giving up on him but it's more of who gives the best chance of winning.

Let him get his at bats against lefties to get some confidence.

He just looks terrible out there in all his at bats.