• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

David Freese or Ian Stewart?

Chuck

David Freese or Ian Stewart??  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Which 3B would you like to start for the Angels?

• David Freese
    • Ian Stewart
    • A Straight Platoon

I talked to an Angels exec recently and he said to expect a better showing this season from Ian Stewart.

I then heard Rojas mention on the air today that Stewart worked out with Rod Carew in the offseason on his swing. They worked out quite a bit from what I was told. 

1. Stewart had a better spring than Freese. Stewart batted .298/.370/.511 with three homers and six RBI over 47 spring at-bats.

2. His balance at the plate looks a lot like Josh Hamilton. Has much more raw power than Freese. 

3. Ian is known to be a better 3B defensively. 

4. Stewart was a top prospect, top draft pick, so he has the pedigree Freese doesn't have. 

5. Stewart is hungry after struggling with the Rockies, then cut by two teams. 

I know it's a small sample size to look at stats, but Stewart's at bats in ST and early on have looked a lot better than Freese. David Freese has looked awful chasing high fastballs and offering at sliders low and away. 

Which of the two would you like to start or would you go for a straight platoon with Stewart starting against righties and Freese against lefties?

Freese against righties has been .103/.129/.103.

Straight platoon please.

Yep. 

Meanwhile Freese is hitting much better (sample size I know) vs. lefties. His only HR was against Paxton. But he seems to see the ball better from a lefty. He has 3 walks vs. 2 strikeouts. 3 hits in 6 at bats vs. southpaws. 

Against righties he's struck out 9 times in 29 at bats. Just one walk. 

In every season that Freese has been in the league, he's hit way better against southpaws with a BA well over .300 in his career. 

I talked to an Angels exec recently and he said to expect a better showing this season from Ian Stewart.

I then heard Rojas mention on the air today that Stewart worked out with Rod Carew in the offseason on his swing. They worked out quite a bit from what I was told. 

1. Stewart had a better spring than Freese. Stewart batted .298/.370/.511 with three homers and six RBI over 47 spring at-bats.

2. His balance at the plate looks a lot like Josh Hamilton. Has much more raw power than Freese. 

3. Ian is known to be a better 3B defensively. 

4. Stewart was a top prospect, top draft pick, so he has the pedigree Freese doesn't have. 

5. Stewart is hungry after struggling with the Rockies, then cut by two teams. 

I know it's a small sample size to look at stats, but Stewart's at bats in ST and early on have looked a lot better than Freese. David Freese has looked awful chasing high fastballs and offering at sliders low and away. 

Which of the two would you like to start or would you go for a straight platoon with Stewart starting against righties and Freese against lefties?

but stewart has been bad for most of his career.

I'd rather see Green starting at 3b.

I've actually been really liking McDonald recently. He is the best of the three defensively, he had a great spring, and he's been doing well in the regular season thus far. The only real downside is the lack of power, but we are leading the league in hr's while playing most of our games at Angel's stadium...I feel like power is something we have plenty of. It would be interesting to see how long he can sustain this hot streak as a starter.

But, seeing as that's not going to happen, so I would say Stewart with Freese as a main backup until he finds his swing a bit/till Steward cools down.

but stewart has been bad for most of his career.

I'd rather see Green starting at 3b.

Green is not going to be considered for 3B so drop that idea. 

Despite his struggles the past few years, he has talent. Some players to realize their talent until later in their career. 

Green is not going to be considered for 3B so drop that idea. 

Despite his struggles the past few years, he has talent. Some players to realize their talent until later in their career. 

okay  :(

platoon then

Edited by Poozy

Had no idea Stewart was a 1st round draft pick. He was the number 10 pick of the draft! Does anyone happen to have a scouting report of Stewart back then? Really curious to see what scouts saw in him for him to be a top 10 pick, obviously other than his power.

From an old BA Handbook of mine on Ian Stewart who was ranked #1 over Tulo! 

20140413_222842_zps5a429699.jpg

20140413_222923_zps126e74a8.jpg

20140413_223015_zpsd7c00faf.jpg

20140413_223029_zps41e29d6e.jpg

20140413_223040_zps9c5083f0.jpg

I don't remember seeing one hard hit off a righty from Freese yet. Even his hits are just bloopers that go above the second baseman's head.

He was bad against righties last year, and he's getting worse. Slumping is one thing, a .103 slugging avg is another.

"He batted .333-3-12 in 12 Arizona Fall League games before re-injuring his wrist sliding into second base."

At least it wasn't first base. Both Stewart and Freese have been underwhelming so far (Stewart did look good today but has struck out in 7 of his 15 at bats this year). Looking at splits, I voted for a platoon, and hope this would drive them both knowing they have to fight for the starting position. Hopefully, one or the combination both can produce a 2-3 WAR season this year.

Edited by HeavenlyHalos

id go with stewart.  he puts up good ab's, works the count, he showed he has opposite field power yesterday as well which is a very good sign.  who cares if he k's a lot?  many power hitters do.

his swing is a bit too long, but i think he can work on that over the season.  he has way more potential than freese and better defense too.  im very glad he made the team because i dont trust freese and stewart was my sleeper pick to comeback this year.