• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Arte notes

bloodbrother

I'm all for Anaheim leasing the land to Arte in order to build more of a social/entertainment hub. The area around Fig and 11th used to be a total dump but now that LA Live is there it is awesome. Private developers around that vicinity are frothing at the mouth to build more restaurants, hotels and residences. The Orange County area needs something like this and the Platinum Triangle is the perfect place to do it with the 5, 57 and 22 freeways all nearby.

This is the current mindset. Petco was built downtown because they were trying to revitalize that area. Within a couple years of that stadium being built, the empty warehouses turned into highrise buildings with restaurants, businesses and condos. ATT Park in SF was also part of a urban revitalization project. The area is no longer considered the dodgy part of SF (except when the Dodgers are in town). Although the Big A isn't in a deteriorated part of town, there is evidence to show that the surrounding area can flourish if done properly. I think both Arte and Anaheim know this, but have different approaches on how to make this happen.

Somebody earlier stated Anaheim would be the first city to lose a MLB team since Washington in 1972. I just wanted to correct the record.

Someone should read more carefully.   I said American city.  I went so far as to capitalize the word to avoid someone rushing to comment. 

The new park in Atlanta certainly qualifies as a change in cities.  They will be moving from Turner Field, 12 miles north to Cumberland?  Thing is, Atlanta will still be seen as the home of the Atlanta Braves and a world class city, whereas Anaheim would look really ****ing stupid referring to itself as the home of the Angels if they play in Irvine or anywhere else.

As I said, they would lose those bragging rights.  

Edited by Inside Pitch

Somebody earlier stated Anaheim would be the first city to lose a MLB team since Washington in 1972. I just wanted to correct the record.

He said first American team. Last I heard Montreal is still part of Canada. Edited by Eric Notti

I'm not sure that I agree. Eventually the message will get out that if you want to go to Anaheim, you can't leave the offer sitting on the table and continue to shop your services. Either you want to be here or you don't. Moreno is probably tired of being played by free agents who use his offers to shop for more money elsewhere. I'm fine with it.

not to mention, it's not like they low balled him either. they offered him 2 million more dollars than he eventually got. if the strategy is not to allow your offers to be leveraged against you, then offering a good contract right out of the gates is the only way it will work. that's exactly what the yankees do. you either sign with the yankees now for big money or you sign later with someone else.

Edited by ukyah

Ok Mom, you win!

I'm willing to give Arte the $66 bucks he's offering the city for that $300M+ property.

lol.  I would love for the area around the stadium to become a destination spot.  There is already a small concert venue...it really needs some other restaurants/bars where you can walk around before or after the game.  The Wrigley and Petco experiences are awesome.

On the stadium ...

People don't realize it's 48 years old. They started building that thing 50 years ago. When Disney remodeled, they didn't do anything to the infrastructure. All the plumbing's original, all the electrical is original, the concrete is original. You have escalators, elevators. The city and ourselves did a joint engineering project about three years ago to estimate what it was going to cost to keep this stadium serviceable until 2029 was our first extension. Now, we've done it. We've moved that out. But we're not there yet.

-- Alden

For the record I have been saying this about the stadium for years. I have also taken a lot of heat from posters here and those who are now long gone, who said I didn't know what I was talking about, even though my sources were quite good the the stadium was "rotting from within".

I said all of this because I believed that one day Arte would move the team if the CoA didn't watch themselves. I hated the name change, I still hate it, but I have accepted it. I hope I can accept the team moving as well, because time to face facts, by 2019, they are as good as gone.

Edited by Brian Ilten