• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Arte notes

bloodbrother

If the Angels left, I don't think the land would be empty for long.  I think a certain amusement park would jump on the land, that would be located right next to a major transit terminal.  They could then demolish the parking structure they currently have and expand.  Create a new parking area, probably for employees, and possibly create a transit system between the terminal, pond, triangle, convention center, and park.

An amusement park 3 miles from Disneyland?

That said the COA and the Angels need each other too much to walk away from each other. That doesn't mean there won't be public negotiating going on until a new lease is signed.

I would have to disagree with you.  The Angels need the CoA more than the CoA need the Angels.  Really, what is in it for the CoA?  Disney will be more than happy to step in and spend billions that will bring in lots more money into the CoA coffers.  

An amusement park 3 miles from Disneyland?

No.  You didn't read what I wrote.  I said an employee parking structure.

The current parking structure next to Disneyland would be demolished to build their new park.  As Chimi stated, a Water Park or an Epcot type of park.  

I would have to disagree with you.  The Angels need the CoA more than the CoA need the Angels.  Really, what is in it for the CoA?  Disney will be more than happy to step in and spend billions that will bring in lots more money into the CoA coffers.  

If the COA er uh Disney is itching to spend billions on a new park why not let them spend the money on buying up property near the resort while also keeping the regional draw that is the Angels? It's not like Disney is going to just up and move. Plus I really doubt a parking structure is going to be exactly the draw for the "Platinum Triangle" COA were hoping for.

Edited by Thomas Crow

You're just disagreeing with Arte so that you can disagree with Arte.

No because the current lease agreement already sucks for the City of Anaheim. If they give Arte the parking lot to develop for pennies on the dollar he will build hotels and restaurants and then cash out. I like being able to get in and out of the parking lot. Screw those parking structures that take an hour to get out of.

No because the current lease agreement already sucks for the City of Anaheim. If they give Arte the parking lot to develop for pennies on the dollar he will build hotels and restaurants and then cash out. I like being able to get in and out of the parking lot. Screw those parking structures that take an hour to get out of.

Screw parking at games period. I wish there was a closer Metrolink station to my house. I would take the train to every game.

I liked the Angels tactic on Garza's offer. The Angels offered the better deal and Garza's hesitation cost him $2m. The next time the Angels put an offer on the table, the FA will feel extra pressure to take it. You also don't want to get into a bidding war. This is how you grossly overpay for talent. In the end, both teams lose. But most importantly, the Angels couldn't stall their offseason plans over one player. They needed to know whether to move on to the next plan. The longer they waited, the less options would become available.

I liked the Angels tactic on Garza's offer. The Angels offered the better deal and Garza's hesitation cost him $2m. The next time the Angels put an offer on the table, the FA will feel extra pressure to take it. You also don't want to get into a bidding war. This is how you grossly overpay for talent. In the end, both teams lose. But most importantly, the Angels couldn't stall their offseason plans over one player. They needed to know whether to move on to the next plan. The longer they waited, the less options would become available.

I'm obviously happy we didn't get Garza but the Angels ended up not acting on any of these options so that argument is moot.

Being able to call itself a world class city in it's own right Vs simply being a suburb of LA?   There are all of 29 cities in the US with MLB teams -- Anaheim is one of them.  They would also likely have a harder time trying to sell the city to the NFL if they lost MLB.  I seriously doubt that the COA wants to go down in history as the first AMERICAN city to lose a pro baseball team since Washington DC in 1972.  Not to mention it would mean the COA was a two time, two sport, loser...  Losing the Rams, then the Angels would be a bit embarrassing for the city, I would think.  The new city sales pitch could be, "Hey, we are Buena Park, only we have Hockey!"

When it's all said and done, the bragging rights associated with having a pro team in any of the big three sports is bigger than people think.  

Edited by Inside Pitch

Being able to call itself a world class city in it's own right Vs simply being a suburb of LA?   There are all of 29 cities in the US with MLB teams -- Anaheim is one of them.  They would also likely have a harder time trying to sell the city to the NFL if they lost MLB.  I seriously doubt that the COA wants to go down in history as the first AMERICAN city to lose a pro baseball team since Washington DC in 1972.  Not to mention it would mean the COA was a two time, two sport, loser...  Losing the Rams, then the Angels would be a bit embarrassing for the city, I would think.  The new city sales pitch could be, "Hey, we are Buena Park, only we have Hockey!"

When it's all said and done, the bragging rights associated with having a pro team in any of the big three sports is bigger than people think.  

The Los Angles Angels of Miami....Putta Bow on it

Edited by biltoo

Being able to call itself a world class city in it's own right Vs simply being a suburb of LA? There are all of 29 cities in the US with MLB teams -- Anaheim is one of them. They would also likely have a harder time trying to sell the city to the NFL if they lost MLB. I seriously doubt that the COA wants to go down in history as the first AMERICAN city to lose a pro baseball team since Washington DC in 1972. Not to mention it would mean the COA was a two time, two sport, loser... Losing the Rams, then the Angels would be a bit embarrassing for the city, I would think. The new city sales pitch could be, "Hey, we are Buena Park, only we have Hockey!"

So the City of Anaheim needs to give Arte Moreno all that land to develop to retain the bragging rights to a team that doesn't want to be called the Anaheim Angels.

I visit Petco park at least three times a season and never have a problem getting in or out of the parking structure. It would all revolve around how they design the traffic flow.

Have any of you been to some of the great venues for games? I know a bunch of AW members went to Wrigley and one of the things that stood out to me was the entire ballpark is surrounded by restaurants and bars so every game is like going to a party.

Angels stadium is plunked in the middle of acres and acres of asphalt. No amount of facelifts improve the general atmosphere of the game day experience, it is a drive in and drive out venue where traffic is diverted to keep it directed towards leaving the area.

Rethink your image of how you would like to make the day or night you go to the game play out. Grumptown wants to complain about parking structure traffic but much of that dissapears when many of the patrons walk out of the stadium and into a selection of post game stops. Families can take their kids home to bed, the rest can hang out for a while.

This doesn't take place in a field of open asphalt. So when a developer comes along with a plan to make the entire Angels experience better maybe you guys should ask yourself first us this what you want or do you really give a damn how a city with tax revenue from the the world famous Disney resort could possibly be in financial trouble when the neighboring cities are doing fine.

I visit Petco park at least three times a season and never have a problem getting in or out of the parking structure. It would all revolve around how they design the traffic flow.

The Angels need a new stadium. There are plenty of good restaurants in Anaheim. I like Arte but threatening to move the team away from a loyal fan base......Really???

There is nothing directly outside of the stadium entrance or exits. You have to leave the local area, fight through the traffic to try and get to... Hooters? Yeah, fine dining.

The stadium needs new infrastructure and that is a $200 million dollar solution. The CoA can't afford to make those changes and less so to build a new stadium. So to get their best bang for the buck leasing out the lot for development and having Moreno foot the bill and using the sublease to offset costs is a win for both sides. The CoA gets the tax revenues for any businesses on that property. Tax revenue that doesn't exist on an unused lot.