• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Arte notes

bloodbrother

Mike DiGiovanna ‏@MikeDiGiovanna 36m

#Angels owner Arte Moreno says talks with City of Anaheim over a stadium lease are "at a stalemate."

Mike DiGiovanna ‏@MikeDiGiovanna 35m

#Angels owner Arte Moreno confirmed talks with Mike Trout for long-term deal are ongoing but wouldn't say if agreement is close.

Mike DiGiovanna ‏@MikeDiGiovanna 7m

Owner Arte Moreno confirmed that #Angels offered Matt Garza 4-year, $52-million deal in Dec. Was turned down. Garza went to #Brewers 4-50M.

Mike DiGiovanna ‏@MikeDiGiovanna 5m

Arte Moreno also said he'd be willing to pass $189M luxury tax threshold if "right player" becomes available in trade. #Angels

Looks like Garza overplayed his hand

Well that take it or leave it negotiating strategy sure worked out.

Yeah, kind of weird they didn't circle back to him with that offer when it became apparent that he wasn't going to get whatever he was hoping to get back in December when they first offered him that

I'm not upset that they missed out on him though

The quote about going over the luxury tax threshold for the "right player" in a trade intrigues me, though. I mean, that's gotta be good pitchers making a bit too much on certain bad teams etc(Cliff Lee, perhaps)

Yeah, kind of weird they didn't circle back to him with that offer when it became apparent that he wasn't going to get whatever he was hoping to get back in December when they first offered him that

I'm not upset that they missed out on him though

The quote about going over the luxury tax threshold for the "right player" in a trade intrigues me, though. I mean, that's gotta be good pitchers making a bit too much on certain bad teams etc(Cliff Lee, perhaps)

Yeah, I wasn't particularly hot on Garza either, but the team had a pretty clear valuation of Garza of their own, put an arbitrary timeline on that offer, and then watched him go to a team like the Brewers for basically the same money.

It's kind of whatever in this case, but not necessarily their smoothest maneuvering there.

Edited by jshep

Yeah, I wasn't particularly hot on Garza either, but the team had a pretty clear valuation of Garza of their own, put an arbitrary timeline on that offer, and then watched him go to a team like the Brewers for basically the same money.

It's kind of whatever in this case, but not necessarily their smoothest maneuvering there.

Perhaps their valuation had a timeline as well.

Hellooooo Irvine. They have screwed up the Great Park so bad, they have the perfect opportunity for a stadium.

It would make a lot of sense for Irvine, who wants to make the city more 'touristy' but I don't think it makes sense for the Angels to move south. Geographically they'd be getting further away from LA, and have a smaller surrounding population. You have to figure that their current proximity to disneyland helps ticket sales as well. 

Moreno talks 2014, Trout, the CBT & Anaheim - By Alden Gonzalez

On the offseason search for pitching ...

We didn't feel like there was a guy out there that we wanted to give up a first-rounder. And the early numbers that they were talking about were big numbers; they just were big numbers. We decided to work on role players and save some bullets.

On being opposed to going over the luxury-tax threshold of $189 million ...

It's not that. The reality is we have an operating budget. And the operating budget is below the threshold. What we try not to do is try to go negative. ... Long-term it just doesn't work to be in the red financially. And so, our operating budget for payroll is below the threshold. ... Let's just say we come out of the box good. It's a long season. We come out of the box, and we get to the break and there's somebody available, then what you have to do is try to do the best you can to get somebody in here.

On Matt Garza ...

Look, we had a $52 million offer on the table for Garza. And they wouldn't respond to it. And this was early. ... When he's good, he can be a 2. He can help you. And it would've really given us that layer of depth.

On signing Mike Trout to a long-term deal ...

The reality is it always gets down to the number. I think he likes it here; we like him here. The reality is we have four more years worth of control. We have another year under the guaranteed under the players' minimum, and then you have three arbitration years. ... We're communicating. It's not something that we're not communicating about. ... I can't say [that it's close]. I just don't think it's close to the process. I would just say we're communicating.

On negotiations with the City of Anaheim ...

The easiest way for me to say it right now is we're at a stalemate. ... I've committed to put $150 million worth of capital into the stadium in exchange for an inexpensive lease on the land. Their city manager a few years ago brought that to us. The mayor said that not only do they not have the capital to put into the stadium, they wouldn't put any money into it. And the city manager, we had worked through a process that said, 'If you put capital into the stadium, we'll give you a long-term lease on the land at a dollar a year.' Somewhere along the line, there has to be a partnership. And what's happened is everybody thinks I'm going to make this fortune off the land. The first thing I have to do is capitalize the team, and then I have to capitalize the stadium, and who knows how long that takes before it becomes profitable.

On the stadium ...

People don't realize it's 48 years old. They started building that thing 50 years ago. When Disney remodeled, they didn't do anything to the infrastructure. All the plumbing's original, all the electrical is original, the concrete is original. You have escalators, elevators. The city and ourselves did a joint engineering project about three years ago to estimate what it was going to cost to keep this stadium serviceable until 2029 was our first extension. Now, we've done it. We've moved that out. But we're not there yet.

On the team this year ...

I really believe we can compete with this team. There’s some teams – they need everything to click at one time or whatever. Everybody can figure out who they believe is the best and who has the best odds, whatever. We like our team, and we have flexibility to make adjustments if we need to; I’m talking economic adjustments. It’s just a business, and you want to make sure you can compete and take care of your fans. Everybody loves playing the game, watching the game, and at the end of the day, it’s the fans. If the fans still like to come to the park and have fun – it’s a big part of it.

-- Alden