• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Four Things to Look For from Mike Scioscia in 2014

He was considered a great a manager when he had a healthy Scot Shields for about 6 1/2 seasons. I don't know the exact percentages but I wouldn't be surprised if his winning pct with a healthy Shields in the bullpen is about .600 and without about .450.

So you saying if the Angels sing someone like Arroyo that they will be just as good as the A's?

I really don't like any of the FA SP options. I don't think Arroyo will fare well in the AL.

Still hoping that JD will trade for a 3-4 pitcher with a pkg of Kendrick/Shuck/Someone.

Probably someone that hasn't been mentioned a lot here.

Another 3 way?

I have even more faith in JD after this off season(so far)

Edited by Homebrewer

You guys are in for a dissapointment then.  That isn't how Sosh manages.  He will always manage long term.  Mixing lineups.  Giving his vets long looks.  He has been doing the same thing his entire tenure as a manager.

He isn't going to change.  It's really weird that people would expect him to stop doing what has brought him more success than failure over his managerial career. 

I actually think that's one of his biggest faults.

Managers have to evolve with the game or they'll just end up falling behind.

I actually think that's one of his biggest faults.

Managers have to evolve with the game or they'll just end up falling behind.

How is that portion of managing supposed to evolve with the game?  I really don't get that.  It has nothing to do with run production or getting on base or run prevention.  It has nothing to do with sabermetrics or any of the new ways of looking at statistics.  Mike looks at the season as a whole.  Why should he change that when it has been a success more than a failure?

Slow start or not, Scioscia won't be fired mid term.  Slow start, playing catchup with A's and/or Texas all year will cause Arte to bump him into the FO for 2015 as senior consultant to new manager.  Decent start, but another year of underachievement - at some point Scioscia gets some credit for this - will likely produce the same result.  Scioscia keeps his job for 2015 only if the Angels play in the post season.

I think Scioscia is a perfectly fine manager. I know fans for every team rip on the manager too so this isn't exclusive to the Angels.

Yeah, I hate how he manages bullpens at times and will play veterans over a better young player but who are we to say that he's wrong? He's obviously in that position for a reason.

However, he should be fired if this team is struggling in June/July. It could be that the team just needs a change.

How is that portion of managing supposed to evolve with the game?  I really don't get that.  It has nothing to do with run production or getting on base or run prevention.  It has nothing to do with sabermetrics or any of the new ways of looking at statistics.  Mike looks at the season as a whole.  Why should he change that when it has been a success more than a failure?

So you believe the way the game is played never changes?

You guys are in for a dissapointment then.  That isn't how Sosh manages.  He will always manage long term.  Mixing lineups.  Giving his vets long looks.  He has been doing the same thing his entire tenure as a manager.

He isn't going to change.  It's really weird that people would expect him to stop doing what has brought him more success than failure over his managerial career. 

That I get, but he can't continue to start so slowly that they are 10 games back one to two months into the season. 

He needs to put a little more into winning early.   Not obsessed by it, but just making sure the start isn't so slow.

Fifth thing to look for.....more 'y's in players' names

I just don't think its going to do anything for this team to fire Sosh midseason.  His whole schtick is looking at the season as a whole.

Either they should have fired him already or they fire him after the next season if its another crappy year.  I still argue this roster is shaky at best and if the team fails Dipoto has to take some of the heat.  This is pretty much his roster.

Edited by mtangelsfan

40% think Sosh meddles with the lineup too much.  40% thinks he should change the lineup based on who is hot and who is not.  The other 20% doesn't think he does anything wrong.

It's all black and white.  

I call bullshit on those stats. 

If you were to post a poll, it'd be 80% think sosh meddles lineup 

Baloney, do you know how often I heard how Hamilton should get moved down. Trumbo should get moved up? Pujols should move down? Trout should move there?

All fricking season long.

it's becuase people think he overvalues his vets while under valuing the younger, less experienced players. That's a different subject though.

I think Scioscia is a perfectly fine manager. I know fans for every team rip on the manager too so this isn't exclusive to the Angels.

During the years when I followed the Braves more closely than I do now, Bobby Cox used to drive me nuts. His main faults (at least to me): Hanging with his starting pitchers for too long and constantly playing veterans when there were better young players on the bench.

Cox is about to be inducted at Cooperstown, so it seems to have turned out OK for him.

Now, just don't get me started on John Schuerholz...

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

40% think Sosh meddles with the lineup too much.  40% thinks he should change the lineup based on who is hot and who is not.  The other 20% doesn't think he does anything wrong.

It's all black and white.  

i dont mind meddling with the lineup as long as it makes sense, but anyone who puts erick aybar and his .240 obp at the leadoff spot has no business managing a baseball team WHATSOEVER.  There's a difference between trying out new things and sheer stupidty.  Scioscia just has sheer stupidity.