• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Happy Birthday to Albert Pujols

Ohtaniland

So if you happen to like a player, both on and off the field, and you defend that player, that makes you a superfan?

That's fine if you don't like the guy, though I don't know why you would, but to discredit another's opinion or label them as a Superfan is moronic. We'll have to agree to disagree.

Hopefully you hope the best for the player and root for them throughout the season. If you don't I question if you're even a fan of this team. Pujols contributions going forward are vital to the team's success.

How do you figure? Pujols is the top run producer on the team. If Albert isn't going well it's going to alter the offense immensely.

By "run producer" are you implying RBIs are actually a useful stat to evaluate talent?

If the Albert Pujols sucks it does later the offense as he will always bat in the 3 spot.

How do you figure? Pujols is the top run producer on the team. If Albert isn't going well it's going to alter the offense immensely.

Ever heard of this guy named mike trout? I think he might be alright.

Pujols was slightly above league average offensively last year, and didn't even play much of the season. The angels were still a top 5 offense in the AL. The largest contract in sports history was given to a role player.

Thanks, arte.

Youth, Your second statement was more what I was getting at.

@ Hollywood Save the sarcasm, its not necessary.  As Youth pointed out in the post above yours, Albert will be batting third, therefore his performance is vital to the offense. Think of how much better the offense would be if he was able to get back to a respectable level of production.

Youth, Your second statement was more what I was getting at.

@ Hollywood Save the sarcasm, its not necessary.  As Youth pointed out in the post above yours, Albert will be batting third, therefore his performance is vital to the offense. Think of how much better the offense would be if he was able to get back to a respectable level of production.

no, actually as last year proved, pujols is not vital to the offense.  he was average, and the team still managed to be one of the best offenses in baseball, in one of the toughest hitting parks in the game.   The offense doesn't need help and certainly doesn't NEED a 33 year old*  albert pujols.   Weaver, Wilson, Santiago, etc are the guys that are VITAL to this team's success.

we can take losing albert pujols, we CAN'T afford to have one of our workhorse starters to go down or even have a bad season.

i understand that you're using the offensive rankings without pujols to suggest that he isn't needed, but you couldn't find a single person in the clubhouse or front office who would tell you, even in private, that albert pujols is a "role player" on the angels. you'd lose all credibility instantly with that statement.

that's because no one close to the team would have the balls to say that.   Al seems to have a pretty fragile ego.   The numbers don't lie though.

Mike wouldn't dare bat him any lower than 3rd, because he knows he would have a 212 million dollar mushroom cloud to deal with in the clubhouse

no, actually as last year proved, pujols is not vital to the offense.  he was average, and the team still managed to be one of the best offenses in baseball, in one of the toughest hitting parks in the game.   The offense doesn't need help and certainly doesn't NEED a 33 year old*  albert pujols.   Weaver, Wilson, Santiago, etc are the guys that are VITAL to this team's success.

we can take losing albert pujols, we CAN'T afford to have one of our workhorse starters to go down or even have a bad season.

That was an offense that included Trumbo as well. So your suggesting an offense minus Trumbo and Pujols would be just as good? A top five offense? I don't see how that's possible. Calhoun is an unknown right now, as well as Freese, and who knows what Hamilton will do. Those unknowns coupled with the inevitable injuries that a bound to occur, to me, make a healthy Pujols even more important to the success of the offense. How quickly people forget that after a slow start in 2012 Pujols was damn near what he was in STL for the rest of that year. 

that's because no one close to the team would have the balls to say that.   Al seems to have a pretty fragile ego.   The numbers don't lie though.

Mike wouldn't dare bat him any lower than 3rd, because he knows he would have a 212 million dollar mushroom cloud to deal with in the clubhouse

i put the "even in private part" because i knew you were going to say that they were afraid or something to the effect. i'm sorry, but that's a ridiculous thing for you to say and think. also, he's probably going to bat lower than third on a fairly regular basis, because there's a real decent chance he hits fourth after trout in the three spot.

The fact remains that the team greatly benefited from Albert's decision to shut it down last season.

I will withhold further judgement until we see how well he hits, now that he is supposedly healthy.

i don't see how a team benefiting from replacing an injured player makes that player a "role player". the dude was hurt and it ended his season.

Edited by ukyah

It's really simple why these guys feel like this. They hate Albert because he hasn't been what we expected and they feel cheated or slighted. Like I said earlier in this thread no one would hate Albert on here if he was hitting like he use to, but since he doesn't then he is a liar about his age, a bad guy in the clubhouse, he wishes he was still in St. Louis, is a part time player, and has a fragile ego. I'm sure I missed a few, but that's the short list. I hope to hell he is healthy this year and has a year similar to 2012 without the slow start.

I don't hate Albert, I just don't care about him. He hasn't done much in an Angels uni for me to care much, and has obviousy been completely overshadowed by Trout. Watching homegrown talents come up and develop into great players is always going to be more rewarding than paying some aging FA for stuff they did on another team. There is simply no attachment there. He's just another player the team brought in at this point.  Pujols had a hot 3-4 month stretch so far in his Angels career and that's about it

I am still holding out hope he can provide a few seasons of his 2012 production though, which obviously isn't anywhere near worth the $24 mill they are paying him annually, but it would still be pretty good. 30 HR, .285+ BA, .850 OPS. If he can provide that, do some damage in the playoffs....then there will be something worth remembering. Right now his tenure here has been completely forgettable