• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2014 AL West Standings - quick guess

Angelsjunky

With the caveat that I agree with something Chuck said recently, that projections very rarely end up being correct, its still fun to play make-believe. So here we go - based upon rosters at this point (including today's Choo signing), how does the AL West look on paper?

Here's how I see it:

93-69 Rangers

90-72 Angels

87-75 Athletics

85-77 Mariners

54-108 Astros

This isn't as much what I think will happen, but what the teams look like to me on paper. Regardless, I think its going to be a bit of a dog-fight. The Rangers look like the team to beat. The Athletics perennially over-perform but I think the under-performing Angels will edge them this year. The Mariners are going to surprise and be in the mix for much of the season. The Astros...well, with the over four teams in the division and the Angels looking for blood revenge, I'm probably being kind.

I think the Angels are more like 77-80 wins.

Really? Bummer, dude. So you think the team hasn't or won't improve from 2013? I take it you think Hamilton and Pujols won't step up? Santiago, Skaggs and Richards will all be busts, or at least no better than the Three Amigos? (Blanton, Hanson, Williams).

I think a pessimistic outlook is that the team wins 82-86 games, a moderate outlook is 87-91 games, and optimistic is 92+.

93-69 Rangers

90-72 Angels

87-75 Athletics

85-77 Mariners

54-108 Astros

This isn't as much what I think will happen, but what the teams look like to me on paper.

I dunno. I think the Astros win in the high 50s. Some of that young talent is going to start producing in the late 2nd half.

Mariners are still an 81 win team.

I think the Angels have a ton of variance -- more than any other team in the AL West. They could win 77 or 90. Neither would surprise me.

I think the Angels have a ton of variance -- more than any other team in the AL West. They could win 77 or 90. Neither would surprise me.

This. I wouldn't be surprised if the Angels made the postseason. I also wouldn't be surprised if they disappointed again. It depends on a lot of things...and a lot of things will have to break the Angels way, I fear, if they want to have a legitimate shot at the postseason.

Will Pujols bounce back? If so, to what extent? How about Freese? Hamilton? How will our young starting pitchers do? Etc. etc. Lots of question marks.

I would feel a lot better about their chances if they acquire a good starter. 

This. I wouldn't be surprised if the Angels made the postseason. I also wouldn't be surprised if they disappointed again. It depends on a lot of things...and a lot of things will have to break the Angels way, I fear, if they want to have a legitimate shot at the postseason.

Will Pujols bounce back? If so, to what extent? How about Freese? Hamilton? How will our young starting pitchers do? Etc. etc. Lots of question marks.

I would feel a lot better about their chances if they acquire a good starter. 

I agree....  One more guy and there is a lot less uncertainty.   Freese, Santiago, Skaggs are probably the biggest question marks coming into this season.