• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mark Reynolds?

Scott34

Can he play serviceable enough 1B still, to let Pujols DH when needed?

His OPS in 35 games with the Skanks was slightly higher than Trumbo's over a full 2013.

Probably not.  For some reason he had the first positive UZR in his life last year at 1B, so maybe, but I doubt it.

If he hit like he did in 2012, I wouldn't mind him. But last year he was below average offensively and his defense has always been horrendous. If they do sign him, he should be strictly a DH only guy, with the occasional start at 1B, who gets most of his AB against lefties. 

His career wRC+ of 119 against lefties is much better than his 103 wRC+ against righties. 

Can he play serviceable enough 1B still, to let Pujols DH when needed?

His OPS in 35 games with the Skanks was slightly higher than Trumbo's over a full 2013.

What are the Angels going to do if Pujols' foot isn't 100 percent as he claims...i.e. Pujols needs to DH full time? 

Hamilton can't play the outfield full time either.  Are they thinking of trying Hamilton at 1B?

While an infield/DH bat makes more sense, especially with Pujols and Freese's health concerns, I don't think Reynolds is quite the answer. The market for DH's is really limited but I don't think any speculation or other possibilities are going to matter, I think the Halos will sign Ibanez

I'd consider a platoon with him and Ibanez although it's not my first choice of how I'd like to see the team go. 

So Calhoun is the backup 1b?

other bench guys include Shuck, Romine, Field, Green

My feeling is, if you are going to give those guys a chance (except for Calhoun who is of course a starter), then why not look at guys like:

Matt Long (Lefty that hits RHers well.  Can play 2b, OF.  Good speed)

Roberto Lopez (career minor leaguer but can play 1b and hit lefties well)

Andy Marte (used to be a bigtime prospect.  3b backup.  Did well in limited time at AAA last year.)

The A's seem to let these types of guys work for them pretty well.  I get that most guys end up AAAA type players, but when you have guys that are 25-28 and have performed very well at the AAA level yet they've never even been given a look. 

I'd be all for it, but that's two roster spots being given to DH's.

Yeah but Ibanez and Reynolds can play at different positions in a pinch if needed. Obviously Grant Green will be our utility guy and there's always JB Shuck for late inning OF replacements if needed.

To maximize the DH spot in the lineup, I'm betting the duo would hit 40 HR (Reynolds kills southpaws) and drive in 100 runs. While their BA/OBP may be equivalent to Trumbo's if he was still in our lineup, we essentially added two quality arms and replaced him with same production from the two.

I like Marte, but he's a minor league FA.

Here's a list of FA's that played this past season for the Angels in the minors.

Los Angeles Angels
RHP:
Orangel Arenas (Hi A), Lay Batista (AA), Fernando Cabrera (AAA), Chad Cordero (AAA), Manuarys Correa (AA), Rob Delaney (AAA), Barry Enright (AAA), Brandon Hynick (AA), Josh Judy (AA), Jason Urquidez (AAA)
LHP: Dustin Richardson (AAA), Dontrelle Willis (AAA)
C: Luke Carlin (AAA)
2B: Luis Rodriguez (AAA), Rusty Ryal (AAA)
3B: Andy Marte (AAA)
SS: Jimmy Swift (AA)
OF: Julio Concepcion (Lo A), Cyle Hankerd (AA), Lou Montanez (AA), Trent Oeltjen (AAA), Robbie Widlansky (AA)