• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Kole Calhoun

Chuck

The Los Angeles Times reports that the Angels intend to use Kole Calhoun as their starting right fielder heading into the 2014 season. General manager Jerry Dipoto told the Times, "For [Calhoun] to improve, he has to get the opportunity to play, and we see a good opportunity for him on this field."

I don't think Shuck is going to get many starts guys. I had a chat with Dipoto this past spring and he was extremely high on Calhoun at that time. Calhoun has also made a big impression on Mike Scioscia. I think Sosh sees Shuck as our 2014 version of Orlando Palmeiro. He's only going to start if there's an injury!

Well this is good news. The less Shuck the better. If Calhoun can manage an OBP more than .360 he would fit nicely as a Leadoff or #2 hitter.

The good news is, he has a .431 OBP in the minors.

I know Aybar isn't the idea leadoff hitter, but he does bunt for quite a bit of base hits.

Perhaps this is our best lineup as it stands now?

SS Aybar

RF Calhoun

CF Trout

1B Pujols

LF Hamilton

3B Freese

2B Kendrick

DH Trumbo

C  Conger/Iannetta

The good news is, he has a .431 OBP in the minors.

I know Aybar isn't the idea leadoff hitter, but he does bunt for quite a bit of base hits.

Perhaps this is our best lineup as it stands now?

SS Aybar

RF Calhoun

CF Trout

1B Pujols

LF Hamilton

3B Freese

2B Kendrick

DH Trumbo

C  Conger/Iannetta

I don't think I can stomach another season of Aybar batting leadoff.

I would go Calhoun/Trout/Pujols/Hamilton long before I would stick Aybar back in the leadoff spot.

Calhoun put up excellent numbers last year.  His 128 OPS+ was superior to or on par with guys like Nelson Cruz (123), Carlos Beltran (128), Jacoby Ellsbury (114), and Curtis Granderson (97), albeit in limited playing time.  And the fact that he was so consistent (.803 OPS in July/August, .814 OPS in September) and maintained his pace even after the league got a look at him suggests that it isn't unreasonable to believe he might be an above average outfielder. 

I don't think I can stomach another season of Aybar batting leadoff.

I would go Calhoun/Trout/Pujols/Hamilton long before I would stick Aybar back in the leadoff spot.

Yeah I guess Calhoun in the leadoff spot works too. Aybar is frustrating there. Wish he'd take a walk and steal more bases.

Trout needs to hit 3rd

disagree. He's the team's best OBP guy and the best base stealer.  He should be getting the most ABs on the team. Leadoff.

How anyone (Chuck I don't know what you're smkong) could be OK with Aybar batting leadoff is beyond me.  He's literally the antithesis of a good leadoff hitter.

No he doesn't. Trout needs to leadoff using his great Obp to start things off and use his speed on the base paths. I don't wanna see trout and Pujols bunched together again seeing as how Pujols doesn't like guys stealing in front of him. Trout Calhoun Pujols is the ideal configuration, I don't think Albert is really going to hit anywhere else but third anyway. I couldn't care less how many rbis trout gets.

disagree. He's the team's best OBP guy and the best base stealer.  He should be getting the most ABs on the team. Leadoff.

How anyone (Chuck I don't know what you're smkong) could be OK with Aybar batting leadoff is beyond me.  He's literally the antithesis of a good leadoff hitter.

He's not the prototypical leadoff hitter, but he's the best we got, besides Calhoun, who I think would serve best hitting 2nd in front of Trout.

Despite Aybar's lack of walks from the leadoff spot, he does hit for a high BA and can leadoff an inning with a bunt base hit as well.

There isn't many teams in baseball who have the ideal leadoff hitter.

He's not the prototypical leadoff hitter, but he's the best we got, besides Calhoun, who I think would serve best hitting 2nd in front of Trout.

No, Trout is the best we've got.  I think we can all agree that unless Pujols and Hamilton bounce back and have reasonably good seasons, the team is screwed anyway.  So assuming they're both healthy and producing reasonably well, they will sit in the middle of the lineup and do their jobs, while Trout bats leadoff and does his.  Leadoff is the spot where you're most taking advantage of Trout's skills.

I will believe Sosh not playing Shuck a lot when I see Sosh not playing Shuck a lot.  Dipoto gave him a toy and we all know Sosh loves his toys.

I would not be surprised to see Shuck in the opening day lineup.  I'm half serious.

Calhoun  RF .280/.350/.470, 20 HR, 15 SB

Trout  CF .320/.420/.540, 30 HR, 40 SB

Pujols  1B .290/.350/.550, 35 HR

Hamilton  LF .280/.330/.520, 28 HR

Trumbo  DH .260/.300/.480, 33 HR

Freese  3B .280/.360/.440, 15 HR

Kendrick  2B .290/.330/.430, 12 HR

Conger  C .265/.320/.430, 15 HR

Aybar  SS .280/.330/.380, 5 HR, 20 SB

That's a lineup I could live with.

That would be my choice as well. I've added in some projected stats - "moderately optimistic." Of course not everyone will perform to that level, but if everyone is healthy I think they very well could - and one or two even out-play it.

Edited by Angelsjunky