• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Would you guys do this trade?

WallyWorld

Was talking to a friend of mine last night who is a Red Sox fan (the non a-hole variety), and this is what he proposed:

Trumbo & Bourjos for Doubront & Middlebrooks

I still think it favors Boston slightly, but on the other hand it does fill 2 gaping holes for the Angels - young SP and 3B.  I think it comes down to how much one believes in Doubront's future.  Both of us said we'd have a tough time parting with those players, which probably means it's a pretty fair trade.

Doubront is a no for me. His fastball velocity dropped nearly 2 mph in 2013. I'd say pass there are better options out there.

Middlebrooks has similar power to Trumbo and is younger but he has many of the same issues Mark does. However he does play a position of need so? Guess it comes down to the particulars of the trade.

Lol.  Is that a serious trade?  Trading for a pitcher that has a career 4.62 ERA with a 1.46 WHIP, and a minor league line of 3.96 ERA/1.33 WHIP.  Or a thirdbaseman who isn't much better than what we have now?  

I guess Angels fans hate Trumbo and Bourjos that much, that they want to Napoli them.  Which might become the best thing that ever happened to Trumbo and Bourjos, and will become AW.com Fodder for years to come.  

It's a fair proposal, but I think the Angels can get a better value of pitching by trading Trumbo, and I think they can get similar or equal value at 3rd between Green and Jimenez.

Now if they were to include one of their top pitching prospects then I would consider it. I just don't see Doubront as more than a Jerome Williams type.

Honestly, Lucho Jimenez might win the 3B job over Middlebrooks. And Doubrant isn't an established or young starter. He's 25 and had a 4.32 ERA.

They can do better for both of these players. Also, if they trade both, then JB Shuck is a full-time OF or DH. Which I for one do not want to see. 

My predictions are that one of Trumbo and Bourjos is traded, probably Trumbo. And one of Kendrick and Aybar is traded.

I would rather have Freese than Middlebrooks. So Aybar and Petey for Freese and Miller.

that's the kind of short-sighted trade that has hurt the Angels recently.  Freese is 30 and will be a free agent in a couple of years. Middlebrooks is 25 and under club control for 5 more years.  I can't argue that Freese is the more polished player right now, but chances are he's already peaked.  And if you're trading Aybar, who's playing SS?  Romine?

Might as well just sign Ricky Nolasco, re-acquire Brandon Wood, and then keep Trumbo and Bourjos.

Umm, no.  Nolasco is a FA who will be ridiculously overpaid this offseason.  Doubront has 4 more years of club control.  And how are you comparing Middlebrooks to Brandon Wood?  Wood never produced at the big league level. Middlebrooks may not be setting the world on fire just yet, but he's shown he belongs up here and can at the very least be a serviceable 3B.

Yea WW, I would have Romine play short and hope for our other players to return more to their norms, and go with a defensive short stop. I agree that Freese may have peaked, but he has proven to be at least an average MLB third baseman that is capable of coming through in the clutch. Also if you are trading Petey, isn't he also somewhat of a mystery, given his health struggles. I would make that trade in a minute, because it gives us two needed pieces in return.

Yea WW, I would have Romine play short and hope for our other players to return more to their norms, and go with a defensive short stop. I agree that Freese may have peaked, but he has proven to be at least an average MLB third baseman that is capable of coming through in the clutch. Also if you are trading Petey, isn't he also somewhat of a mystery, given his health struggles. I would make that trade in a minute, because it gives us two needed pieces in return.

It's an intriguing trade idea, but I kind of doubt St. Louis would go for it.  As you said, Bourjos is a pretty big ?.  And from the Angels standpoint, I would worry about what it would mean a couple years down the line.  Freese will probably cost more than he's worth and be 32, and there's a good chance Romine flames out, in which case the left side of the IF is a mess.

Just give 3B to Jimenez for 2014 and see what he does.   Then if he's struggling in 2014, re-evaluate after 2014 and hope Cowart learned from his many mistakes in 2013 in AA.

Freese is to 3B as GMJHGH is to CF, living off of ONE super 2011 WS game 6 and ONE solid 2012 season vs. one SUPER catch and solid 2006 season from GMJHGH.   No thank you!

Edited by Angel Oracle

My problem with giving 3B to Jimenez is that I think, just like Romine at SS, there's a decent chance that by June he's hitting under .200 and not even serviceable.  As for a Jimenez/Green platoon, I don't think Green is anywhere close to playing 3B at the big league level.  There was plenty of opportunity for him to get some low-leverage reps there last year and MS said he wasn't ready.  

This is why if he does play it should be in a platoon with Green (who hits LHP better).

even once the games were meaningless last year, and Green had nowhere to play because Kendrick was back, and there was essentially no one to play 3B, Scioscia still didn't have Green play there.  I can't imagine one ST is going to give MS to confidence to play Green at 3B in anything other than an emergency.

even once the games were meaningless last year, and Green had nowhere to play because Kendrick was back, and there was essentially no one to play 3B, Scioscia still didn't have Green play there.  I can't imagine one ST is going to give MS to confidence to play Green at 3B in anything other than an emergency.

In regards to his 3B experience he did play a small amount in the Minor Leagues. Previous scouting reports indicated his arm was "fringy" on the left side of the infield but that his hand eye coordination was excellent. That combined with his growing body size and reduction in range makes 3B seem a more likely spot for him. The hot corner is good for quick reaction types which Green apparently is good at.

I think they put him at 2B because they were hoping he'd get comfortable there and thrive. Unfortunately he didn't show well at the position.

I really have no idea what will happen with Green. It just seems more and more that he will be in a platoon with someone in 2014.

Just imagine if we had given to Adrian Beltre the money that was instead wasted to acquire Vernon Wells.  We'd have no dead money on the books, a comparable payroll, and a hall-of-fame player at a position of need. 

Few transactions (or non transactions) really bother me, but that one still kills me.  The last three years could have been radically different but for that series of terrible moves.