• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pitching Staff 2014

Stradling

As we all know the Angels only have two reliable starting pitchers signed for next season, Weaver and Wilson. We also have Richards who I'm sure most of us would settle for him as the fifth starter if that what has to happen. Looking at the free agent class for Starting Pitchers there's not too much there. Assuming we can't get Tanaka we will have to trade for a starter. I honestly think the best place to go would be St. Louis and see if they have any interest in either Peter or Aybar. They have a great young staff that might allow them to trade Lance Lynn. I don't think they will give up Wacha, Miller or Martinez. Even after we trade for a starter we still need to acquire one more either through trade or free agent signing. I'm thinking we almost have no choice to offer arbitration to Vargas. If we resign Vargas and trade for a Lance Lynn type guy, how would you guys feel about taking a flyer on a guy like Chris Carpenter coming off an injury? He would be our fifth starter or used at depth. I completely get that he can't be counted on for a top of the rotation, but as depth/risk-reward type signing. What other guys fit that mold going into next year in your eyes? I know we have to get younger, but that isn't possible with this years free agent class. Also a one year contract to one of these guys doesn't kill us going forward. What do you all think...

I'm not a fan of Lance Lynn. In the AL, he would put up a 4.5+ ERA, with a 1.35+ WHIP.

Chris Carpenter's agent, Bob LaMonte, told Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe that his client plans to retire. Advice : "Chris basically came back from five career-ending surgeries," said LaMonte. "I don't think you'll ever see anyone do that again. He had a sixth one and it was too many. He had a great career, a great human being." Cardinals GM John Mozeliak said this weekend that the door is open forCarpenter to assume a role in the front office. The 38-year-old right-hander won the National League Cy Young Award in 2005 and possesses two World Series rings (from 2006 and 2011). He can collect a third this year if the Cards go the distance. More : Boston Globe

Edited by AngelsAndRamsFan

It's really hard to believe that we are in such deep trouble regarding the pitching situation, but we really are. It's gonna be really hard to trade for a pitcher who can actually be useful to us. Not many teams trade those types of guys. So we are gonna have to hit the jackpot and get really lucky that a pitcher who isn't that sought after turns into gold for us. I still think we should go all out and get Tanaka regardless of price.

This team really isn't even close to having a competitive pitching staff. Aside from weaver and Wilson, it's a squad full of has beens and never weres. The bullpen is beyond horrible, the starting rotation is shaky at best and aging. People are fooling themselves if they think it's going to be fixed in one offseason or one trade.

Good post Stradling. I think the bidding will get too high on Tanaka, and all the other options are just okay. Best strategy might me to get quality inning eaters (a guy or two like Vargas, not Blanton), and then work to get a lock down pen and hope the offense is a top 3.

I don't believe the bullpen is beyond horrible. I wouldn't mind going after Balfour. I love his intensity on the mound.

Trading for a top tier pitcher will be unlikely but trading for a young promising pitcher can happen.

Angels will also sign a free agent pitcher.

It's not as bad as fans believe it to be. Just don't expect it to be on the same level as the Cardinals or Tigers.

Good post Stradling. I think the bidding will get too high on Tanaka, and all the other options are just okay. Best strategy might me to get quality inning eaters (a guy or two like Vargas, not Blanton), and then work to get a lock down pen and hope the offense is a top 3.

So basically the same plan as this year?

Tanaka or bust here

Cost is almost irrelevant. There are going to be no other opportunities for this caliber of player to be a halo in the next 3 years at least.

The more I see what the cards are doing with their young pitching, the more I realize there is zero change of getting anything from them. Why would they move anyone?

They'll probably sell high on Matt carpenter and get even more pitching or a solid bat

I can't remember the last pre arb arm with #2 upside that was fairly established or at least had cut their teeth who was trade for an arb eligible hitter. If so, that arm is probably damaged goods. Our best possible scenario in trade will be a second year arb arm that is solid but unspectacular or a aa/aaa guy who is yet to be established.

If the Red Sox proved anything, your starting rotation can be meh if you have a shutdown bullpen. I mean, most of the season, they had a Dempster/Doubront 4/5. The bullpen can be an easy fix, but the rotation is a mess. Give Vargas a qualifying offer at the very least, take flyers on guys like Hudson, and, I guess, Lincecum. Go after Tanaka. But for the bully, go after Balfour, kick the tires on The Beard. Benoit would be a decent second choice if we can't land Balfour.

According to MLB Trade Rumors, Balfour is expected to get a 2 yr/$18M contract. Benoit is expected to net 2/$16M.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/free-agent-profiles/