• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pitching Staff 2014

Stradling

Not sure where you're going with this.  I think everyone agrees whoever the Angels acquire, it can't cost them their first round draft pick.  

Which is why Garza's name keeps getting thrown around. He won't cost a pick because he was traded. I'm not that high on him, but who knows?

This team really isn't even close to having a competitive pitching staff. Aside from weaver and Wilson, it's a squad full of has beens and never weres. The bullpen is beyond horrible, the starting rotation is shaky at best and aging. People are fooling themselves if they think it's going to be fixed in one offseason or one trade.

True, but I can still see this team winning 88 games, making the playoffs, and once you're in anything can happen. No way they are favorites, or the best, but you don't always have to be.

It is obvious reading this thread that the majority of us want the Angels to sign Tanaka; however this is not going to be easy.  Several teams with money have stated they are interested in him.  Tanaka must be Plan A for the Angels, but what happens if the Angels are outbid?  They must have a Plan B, C, etc. to make sure this team is ready for 2014.  Due to the fact Garza won't cost a draft pick, he needs to be Plan B.

It is obvious reading this thread that the majority of us want the Angels to sign Tanaka; however this is not going to be easy.  Several teams with money have stated they are interested in him.  Tanaka must be Plan A for the Angels, but what happens if the Angels are outbid?  They must have a Plan B, C, etc. to make sure this team is ready for 2014.  Due to the fact Garza won't cost a draft pick, he needs to be Plan B.

Tanaka should be plan A B C D

There's no excuse for them not being the highest bidder for the posting fee.

It wont effect the angels payroll at all so they will stay away from the luxury tax and they wont lose a pick. It's a win win for the Angels. There's no team in baseball with more money that needs Tanaka the most. 

Edited by Poozy

Tanaka should be plan A B C D

It wont effect the angels payroll at all so they will stay away from the luxury tax and they wont lose a pick. It's a win win for the Angels. There's no team in baseball with more money that needs Tanaka the most. 

I completely agree that the Angels need Tanaka and that is the signing I am hoping for the most, but you can't think the way you are.  You have to have various plans in place in case you get outbid.

For example, the Yankees have as much, if not more money than the Angels and they have said Tanaka is their first choice to improve their rotation.

When one of the other teams bidding for Tanaka is going to be the Yanks, you better have other plans.

Plan A = Tanaka

Plan B = trade one or two of Kendrick, Bourjos, and Trumbo for a solid middle of rotation guy (#3/#4 spots).

Plan F = Garza (not that great for the Rangers with a -0.1 WAR, and attitude issues potentially)

Your Plan B would be my Plan C (My Plan B: Garza).  The reason why, I don't think Howie, Bourjos and/or Trumbo will get the Angels a solid #3 type of pitcher.

The Garza attitude problem thing is bogus and my hope is his so-so performance for the Rangers lowers his value a bit and takes the Rangers out of the bidding for him.

Edited by Jim B

Your Plan B would be my Plan C (My Plan B: Garza).  The reason why, I don't think Howie, Bourjos and/or Trumbo will get the Angels a solid #3 type of pitcher.

The Garza attitude problem thing is bogus and my hope is his so-so performance for the Rangers lowers his value a bit and takes the Rangers out of the bidding for him.

Thinking that a return to his home state (Fresno St. alum) maybe helps him to get back on target?

Normally I'd be really happy to take a flier on a guy like Carp.  However, since we are so stinking bad at pitching and we have been burned "taking a flier" this season I would concentrate more on bringing in more healthy arms.

Fliers are fine when you're trying to build depth, not so fine when you're trying to build a rotation. Counting on guys who have been injured to carry the club sounds like a repeat of 2013.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

Vargas is a #4 at best and Richards is a #5 at this time.  Richards may end up being better than a #5, but this is no guarantee.  If your team's rotation has Vargas as their #3, you are in trouble.

Weaver, Wilson, (blank), Vargas, Richards

The Angels need a solid #2/#3 type of pitcher for that #3 spot.

Vargas is a decent number 3 if he pitches like he did in 2012. I'd rather not take the chance though. Richards is perfect for the 5th spot because it is pretty much unknown what he can do over a full season of starts but he has the potential to be a solid number 3 guy. He has options still so if he is sucking badly he can be replaced fairly easily.

I'd love for the Royals to make Shields available but my guess is if they do they'll want prospects up the butt.