• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pitching Staff 2014

Stradling

Well I would prefer something more than Lance Lynn but he may be the best younger pitcher we can get with that assets we are able to part with. If you think there's no difference between Lynn's stuff and Hanson's stuff I don't know what to say.

Who are you talking to? Are you referring to my post? I wish Hanson and Blanton put up a 4.50 ERA and 1.35 WHIP this year. This year, Lynn had a 3.97 ERA with a 1.31 WHIP, he's likely to put up around a 4.50 ERA and 1.35 WHIP in the AL. The Angels should be able to trade for a better pitcher. If they settle for a Lynn type of pitcher, they'll likely have the same pitching issues next year.

If the Red Sox proved anything, your starting rotation can be meh if you have a shutdown bullpen. I mean, most of the season, they had a Dempster/Doubront 4/5.

Doubront had a 3.87/1.36 as a starter and Dempster had a 4.64/1.45. That 4/5 is like Vargas/Richards, except that was our 3/4 and Richards only was the 4 for the last part of the season. And the Sox still felt it was necessary to go out and get Peavy to bump one of Dempster/Doubront out of the rotation.  

Edited by tennischmp

Who are you talking to? Are you referring to my post? I wish Hanson and Blanton put up a 4.50 ERA and 1.35 WHIP this year. This year, Lynn had a 3.97 ERA with a 1.31 WHIP, he's likely to put up around a 4.50 ERA and 1.35 WHIP in the AL. The Angels should be able to trade for a better pitcher. If they settle for a Lynn type of pitcher, they'll likely have the same pitching issues next year.

I was referring to Hollywood's post.

To start, resign Vargas.  He is a solid #4.

I think the Angels need to do whatever they can to get Tanaka; however there are several teams who are going to want him as much as the Angels do, so it is going to be tough.  Hopefully it happens, but they need to have a Plan B.

If the Angels can't trade for a MLB ready #2/#3 starter, there are a few Free Agents that could be worth it.  I wouldn't be opposed to the Angels looking at Tim Lincecum and Ubaldo Jimenez as potential targets.

That said, I think their Plan B needs to be Matt Garza.  I haven't read anything that has said that teams like the Yankees, Rangers or Dodgers are interested in signing him.  I don't think his deal will be as big as people think it will be.  The truth is, he'd be a really good #3 for this rotation.  Now if his price goes way too high, you obviously move on, but he needs to considered.  If you could sign Garza for something around what the Angels signed Wilson for, you have to consider it. 

As for the bullpen, I think Wilson is a must.  He is just what this bullpen needs and signing him gives the Angels a shutdown 7th, 8th and 9th inning.  They haven't had that in years.  After that, maybe make some trades to get some more bullpen help and then the pitching staff is ready for 2014.

A terrible farm system due to Arte not willing to radically go above slot under the old Rule 4 rules, Reagins' terrible trades and Arte ignoring Latin American prospects for a few offseasons have finally come home.

We basically are at the same position the Dodgers were at when McCourt sold them -- ownership needs to spend massive amounts of money to fix the problems of the club.

I truly believe that Lance Lynn will be moved in the off-season.  Given the sheer depth of the Cards pitching, he may eventually be the odd-man out.  If it isnt him, it may be Joe Kelly.  Jaime Garcia is coming back and he's a solid #3 type but most people forget about him as he's been hurt most of the year.

What the Cards need is a CF or SS.  Question is...is Bourjous someone the Cards would be interested in and would they do a Lynn for Bourjous swap.  I think it's actually doable.

The one thing that concerns me about Lynn is that St. Louis is a pitcher's park in the vein of Angels' stadium, and his road splits are pretty awful. Add in the fact that he will be switching leagues and there is certainly some concern there.

I do think he would be a good target as he is still young but I'm not 100% sold on him yet.

If the Red Sox proved anything, your starting rotation can be meh if you have a shutdown bullpen. I mean, most of the season, they had a Dempster/Doubront 4/5. The bullpen can be an easy fix, but the rotation is a mess. Give Vargas a qualifying offer at the very least, take flyers on guys like Hudson, and, I guess, Lincecum. Go after Tanaka. But for the bully, go after Balfour, kick the tires on The Beard. Benoit would be a decent second choice if we can't land Balfour.

According to MLB Trade Rumors, Balfour is expected to get a 2 yr/$18M contract. Benoit is expected to net 2/$16M.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/free-agent-profiles/

The mediocre rotation and great bullpen formula worked well for the Angels in 2002!

To start, resign Vargas.  He is a solid #4.

I think the Angels need to do whatever they can to get Tanaka; however there are several teams who are going to want him as much as the Angels do, so it is going to be tough.  Hopefully it happens, but they need to have a Plan B.

If the Angels can't trade for a MLB ready #2/#3 starter, there are a few Free Agents that could be worth it.  I wouldn't be opposed to the Angels looking at Tim Lincecum and Ubaldo Jimenez as potential targets.

That said, I think their Plan B needs to be Matt Garza.  I haven't read anything that has said that teams like the Yankees, Rangers or Dodgers are interested in signing him.  I don't think his deal will be as big as people think it will be.  The truth is, he'd be a really good #3 for this rotation.  Now if his price goes way too high, you obviously move on, but he needs to considered.  If you could sign Garza for something around what the Angels signed Wilson for, you have to consider it. 

As for the bullpen, I think Wilson is a must.  He is just what this bullpen needs and signing him gives the Angels a shutdown 7th, 8th and 9th inning.  They haven't had that in years.  After that, maybe make some trades to get some more bullpen help and then the pitching staff is ready for 2014.

We shouldn't sign any free agent that costs us our draft picks.  Wouldn't Garza get a qualifying offer?

We shouldn't sign any free agent that costs us our draft picks.  Wouldn't Garza get a qualifying offer?

No it wouldn't because he was traded in the middle of the season.

For the #3 spot, it should be:

Plan A:  Tanaka

Plan B:  Garza

Plan C:  Trade for #2/#3 type of starter

Plan D:  Lincecum, Jimenez type of free agent

Edited by Jim B

Halos will get outbid for Garza

They'll need to sign some low risk/high reward type guy coming off an injury or bad season and hope they hit the jackpot. Get one of those types for a 1-2 yr deal, then trade for a SP

they'd still need about 3 bullpen arms after all of that to, and this only addresses the major league level. They are still left with zilch for depth at the minor league level. Dipoto will have to work wonders to fix this area of the team in one offseason

People seriously don't give a **** about this farm system. It's the worst in baseball and will continue to be if they keep throwing away draft picks.

Throwing away picks and having horrible drafts every year is not how you build a competitive team.

The Angels need to do whatever it takes to get tanaka.

Edited by Poozy

People seriously don't give a **** about this farm system. It's the worst in baseball and will continue to be if they keep throwing away draft picks.

Throwing away picks and having horrible drafts every year is not how you build a competitive team.

The Angels need to do whatever it takes to get tanaka.

Not sure where you're going with this.  I think everyone agrees whoever the Angels acquire, it can't cost them their first round draft pick.