• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

LA Times: His fate may be unclear, but GM Jerry Dipoto plans for Angels' future

AngelsWin.com

Well, this is the FA class at 3rd base:

Yuniesky Betancourt (32)
Wilson Betemit (32) - $3.2MM vesting option
Jamey Carroll (40) - $2MM club option with a $250K buyout
Eric Chavez (36)
Mark DeRosa (39) - $750K club option with a $25K buyout
Jerry Hairston Jr. (38)
Brandon Inge (37)
Placido Polanco (38)
Mark Reynolds (30)
Juan Uribe (34)
Kevin Youkilis (35)
Michael Young (37)

Unless they can find a guy through trades(and given the lack of assets in that department the Angels have and the fact that the few they do are likely going to be needed to get pitching it would probably have to be a guy they buy low on), it's probably gonna suck.

Arte needs to suck it up and be willing to go over the $189 figure for luxury tax reasons.

I just wrote that in another thread.

Arte is going to have to accept that he will need to pay the luxury tax if he wants to make it back to the playoffs next year.  He needs to be like the Dodgers and put up or shut up.

All I know is the Angels not making the playoffs loses them potential money and attendance numbers continue to fall.

Well, this is the FA class at 3rd base:

Yuniesky Betancourt (32)

Wilson Betemit (32) - $3.2MM vesting option

Jamey Carroll (40) - $2MM club option with a $250K buyout

Eric Chavez (36)

Mark DeRosa (39) - $750K club option with a $25K buyout

Jerry Hairston Jr. (38)

Brandon Inge (37)

Placido Polanco (38)

Mark Reynolds (30)

Juan Uribe (34)

Kevin Youkilis (35)

Michael Young (37)

Unless they can find a guy through trades(and given the lack of assets in that department the Angels have and the fact that the few they do are likely going to be needed to get pitching it would probably have to be a guy they buy low on), it's probably gonna suck.

I'm thinking Chase Headly, who has not had a great season... can be a "buy low" move, with some upside.

Scioscia for Bud Black and Headly.

Solves 3rd AND pitching coach.

Even if they fire him, no GM will be able to succeed if the guy doing the hiring/firing won't go over the Competitive Balance Tax.  By my calcs, we are at $148 million in competitve balance salary next year with the tax kicking in at $189 million, and $140 million in actual salary.  This isn't taking into total account first year arbs Trumbo, Frieri, and Bourjos.  And I don't think a $50,000 raise to Trout would go over well either.  On top of that, we still need 2 starting pitchers, and 1-2 relievers, and a thirdbaseman wouldn't hurt.  

I'd be disappointed if he's fired. I thought he did a good job for being strapped by Arte's big splashes. Some of the high risk moves like Madsen didn't work out and that falls on his plate, but I don't think he has had a fair shake to build a team like a GM should be allowed.

You can't build a pitching staff when you're left to only obtain low paid scraps like Blanton and Hansen.

I'd be disappointed if he's fired. I thought he did a good job for being strapped by Arte's big splashes. Some of the high risk moves like Madsen didn't work out and that falls on his plate, but I don't think he has had a fair shake to build a team like a GM should be allowed.

You can't build a pitching staff when you're left to only obtain low paid scraps like Blanton and Hansen.

Yup! 

Plus, nobody expected Blanton and Hanson to suck THIS BAD. 

Yeah, most of my frustration this year is players so far off their norms it culminated in a terrible season. But after much time I still think their failures still have to be accounted for and that's on Jerry, unfortunately.

Hopefully Arte sees what he had to work with. But it's hard to justify when you see what teams like the A's are doing.

I disagree with Chuck in that nobody expected Blanton and Hanson to suck that bad.  Their numbers in recent years showed a decline in everything.  Then add the move from the NL to the AL and it had disaster written all over it.

I do agree with Brandon and Chuck that Jerry can't be blamed for having to scrape the bottom of the barrel when it is Arte who put him in that position.

I personally think the 2013 fail is all on Arte.