• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Scouting Masahiro Tanaka

SoWhat

"The Angels, who beat the Oakland Athletics, 12-1, Monday night, had a scout in Japan last week to watch Masahiro Tanaka pitch, and they are considering a run at the undefeated Rakuten Eagles right-hander, whom scouts project as a No. 2 or No. 3 starter in the major leagues.

The 6-foot-2, 215-pound Tanaka, who features a 94-mph fastball, sharp slider and a superb split-fingered fastball, won't come cheap. If the Eagles, as expected, post Tanaka, it could cost a major league team $25 million or more just to obtain the rights to negotiate a deal with him.

Tanaka, 24, could be worth it. Two scouts who have seen Tanaka pitch but are not authorized to speak publicly about him said that although Tanaka might not be in Texas ace Yu Darvish's class, he could be as good as or better than Hiroki Kuroda, who is 68-68 with a 3.37 earned-run average in six big league seasons.

"I don't think he has the creativity and the multiple weapons of Darvish, but Kuroda is a really good comparison," one scout said. "He has three good pitches, and his splitter is a legitimate out pitch."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/angels/la-sp-angels-athletics-20130917,0,6463943.story#axzz2fAzO5M61

Edited by SoWhat

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/angels/la-sp-angels-athletics-20130917,0,6463943.story#axzz2f5PjuBhm

The 6-foot-2, 215-pound Tanaka, who features a 94-mph fastball, sharp slider and a superb split-fingered fastball, won't come cheap. If the Eagles, as expected, post Tanaka, it could cost a major league team $25 million or more just to obtain the rights to negotiate a deal with him.

Tanaka, 24, could be worth it. Two scouts who have seen Tanaka pitch but are not authorized to speak publicly about him said that although Tanaka might not be in Texas ace Yu Darvish's class, he could be as good as or better than Hiroki Kuroda, who is 68-68 with a 3.37 earned-run average in six big league seasons.

"I don't think he has the creativity and the multiple weapons of Darvish, but Kuroda is a really good comparison," one scout said. "He has three good pitches, and his splitter is a legitimate out pitch."

Scioscia is expressing confidence to friends that he will return as the Halos' manager in 2014, writes Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports within his latest column. Previous reports have indicated that either Scioscia or Dipoto will be replaced, and Rosenthal points out that firing Dipoto would be a trickier move from an organizational standpoint. Dipoto has made several hires in scouting and player development that would likely be replaced, and the same goes for assistant GM Scott Servais.

Alot of Angels news out there right now.

Just think how many teams will be in on this guy - Angels, Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers (because **** you we have money to burn, that's why), Rangers, and probably a few more I can't think of right now.  He's gonna cost a fortune but I'd love to see us get him.  $60 million posting fee, 4/$15 million a year contract.  It ain't my money.

I really hope we go all in for him, he's put up amazing numbers while pitching with a ball on steroids. If we sign him, it'd save us some trade chips, then we could definetly put together a legit enough package for a top young arm like Archie Bradley or others

Edited by SoWhat

It seems as if his downside is that of a 4 or 5.  25mil posting fee and a 5yr 40mil contract has him locked up for about 65mil for 5 years at ages 25-30.  Or about 13 mil per year for a #4.  I think Vargas is going to get that sort of AAV for at least three years for his ages 31-33 seasons.  If you get a #5, you have overpaid a bit. 

YES!!!!!!!   YES!!!!!!!   YES!!!!!!!

Kuroda is definately a #3.   

I'll gladly take a #3 (including rights fee) for 5 years/$90-100 million, that won't cost players in exchange. 

A #3 potentially, that will only be 25 in 2014!

Weaver, Wilson, Tanaka, Vargas, Richards....sounds good to me.

Edited by Angel Oracle

AO is trying in vain to control his erection.

The Angels definitely need to get this guy. If the Kuroda comp is accurate then at worst you are getting a good number 4/decent number 3. I have a feeling that may end up being what Garza gets you and he's going to get a larger contract, perhaps even with the posting fee included.

right or wrong, if Arte feels strongly about a player, he seems to pull out all the stops to get him.  you have to wonder if seeing Darvish doing what he has with the Rangers is eating at Arte and motivating him to make a strong move for this guy. 

If the Kuroda comp is even close then it should be a no brainer.  Kuroda came to mlb as a 33yo. 

This guy could continue to improve. 

I don't recall Haren with any elbow problems

Don't think he did....low back issues were the only physical issue I can recall with him....seemingly, it was more of a high mileage/loss of velocity thing with Haren....similiar to Weaver, except Weaver has adjusted pretty well to the loss of velocity....