• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Scouting Masahiro Tanaka

SoWhat

It's the sensible and absolutely correct move to make.

Let's say you spend 100M on the guy.  40M posting and 4/15 contract or so.  You can then trade Kendrick and Bourjos (or Trumbo) for 2-3 good starters depending on where they are in their careers.  These trades practically wipe out the contract owed to Tanaka.  Net gain may be 1 or 2M.

Sign Mujica

Sign the Beard

Trout CF

Calhoun RF

Pujols 1B

Hamilton LF

Trumbo DH

Aybar SS

Conger/Iannetta C

Green/Lindsey 2B

Lucho/Nelson/Someone 3B

Weaver

Tanaka

Wilson

Pitcher acquired for Kendrick

Richards/pitcher acquired for Bourjos

Depth:

Richards/pitcher acquired for Bourjos, Williams, Shoemaker

Williams

Kohn

DDLR

Burnett

Wilson

Frieri

Mujica

Mujica might parlay his big 2013 into a big payday, no thank you.

Coello in 2014 will be healthy, and we saw what he was on his way to doing when he got hurt.

Plus Morin is possibly just a couple of months in 2014 away from being ready. 

Having the Beard and Frieri (if 2nd pitch continuing to improve) is enough for closing.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Haven't seen any video of this guy.  From what little I've read, he primarily throws fastball, slider, splitter, but has also been improving his other offspeed pitches.

The one thing that does concern me is the mileage on that arm.  I know he's only 24, but he's already got 7 full seasons with 1284 innings pitched. 

AO is trying in vain vein to control his erection.

The Angels definitely need to get this guy. If the Kuroda comp is accurate then at worst you are getting a good number 4/decent number 3. I have a feeling that may end up being what Garza gets you and he's going to get a larger contract, perhaps even with the posting fee included.

Fixed.

After the Madson debacle, I'm not so sure Dipoto would consider a guy coming off his second TJ surgery. Yeah, I know he's already thrown a few innings this season, but how much does he have left? I'd rather them target a reliever with less of an injury history.

Re: Tanaka... Hell yes! Lock him up.

Another thing you have to remember is that the rules regarding Japanese players posting will change in the off season and Tanaka might be the first "guinea pig" for the new rules. What is being suggested, but is not set in stone yet, is that there could be up to three bidders that are down selected out of the entire group that puts up a posting fee. Then the player can negotiate with the, presumably, three teams that win the top three spots in the posting or something to that effect.

I may have incorrectly paraphrased the proposed change but essentially it allows up to 3 teams to enter a bidding war and negotiation with the player, thus giving the player an option of which team to go too even if the offer is less than other bidders.

Another thing you have to remember is that the rules regarding Japanese players posting will change in the off season and Tanaka might be the first "guinea pig" for the new rules. What is being suggested, but is not set in stone yet, is that there could be up to three bidders that are down selected out of the entire group that puts up a posting fee. Then the player can negotiate with the, presumably, three teams that win the top three spots in the posting or something to that effect.

I may have incorrectly paraphrased the proposed change but essentially it allows up to 3 teams to enter a bidding war and negotiation with the player, thus giving the player an option of which team to go too even if the offer is less than other bidders.

From what I've read, the new posting won't take effect this offseason.  Which is the reason why Tanaka might be posted.  The Japanese team wants to get top dollar for him, and with the proposed rule changes, they could take a significant hit.  

"One of the proposals for a new system would have as many as three teams chosen among the top bidders, with the Japanese player then allowed to choose the club he'd prefer to play for and negotiate with."

"However, the system could be getting a significant overhaul in the near future with changes that could take effect as soon as this November, multiple sources told David Lennon of Newsday."

Off of MLBTradeRumors.

If the overhaul happens this offseason, I really don't think Tanaka will be posted.  

I have a feeling the rules may be agreed upon this offseason, but they won't take effect until next season.  And because of it, you may see a large amount of players posted this offseason, so that teams can maximize their dolla...yen.  

Hopefully the Angels aren't tunnel visioning their scouting on Tanaka and looking at other pitchers and relievers.