• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rethinking Frieri

fan_since79

Not even rethinking him, just appreciating what he did today.  Came in with the bases juiced and one out, didn't give up a run.  Struck out a dude after a 12-pitch duel to start it off.  Struck out a bunch more and shut them down cold in the 9th.  That's ****ing awesome, and I bet everybody here (myself included) thought he'd give up at least two runs in the 8th.  

Not even rethinking him, just appreciating what he did today. Came in with the bases juiced and one out, didn't give up a run. Struck out a dude after a 12-pitch duel to start it off. Struck out a bunch more and shut them down cold in the 9th. That's ****ing awesome, and I bet everybody here (myself included) thought he'd give up at least two runs in the 8th.

He came thisclose to having the bases cleared in the 8th inning twice but made the pitches when he needed too.

I like him more as a set up guy (Scott shields).

Edited by Troll Daddy

He threw several secondary pitches today, and a few looked good.

Milwaukee hasn't seen him much and most teams struggle that have limited exposure.

You need the flexibility to take him out when he doesn't have it, and you can't really do that when he's the last guy out.

That's why closing is harder than being a middle reliever. You've got no one behind you until after you've completely blown it.

"Streaky" isn't a strong enough word to describe Frieri.  

May 30th - July 20th, Frieri dons his cape:   19.2 IP, 1.83 ERA, 33/5 K/BB.  And 3 of the 4 ER he gave up over that time period was a single blowup game.  The remainder was complete and utter dominance.

July 23rd - Aug 6th, someone finds his weakness and stuffs kryptonite in his pants:  4.2 IP, 23.14 ERA, .556 BAA

Aug 10th - Sept 1st, Metropolis is saved:  10.2 IP, ERA 0.00, 15/2 K/BB

It's inexplicable.  There's no middle ground with him -- he flips a switch between being Mariano Rivera for a stretch of 2-3 weeks to Joe Blanton pitching with his left hand for another week or two.  

Edited by markb

"Streaky" isn't a strong enough word to describe Frieri.  

May 30th - July 20th, Frieri dons his cape:   19.2 IP, 1.83 ERA, 33/5 K/BB.  And 3 of the 4 ER he gave up over that time period was a single blowup game.  The remainder was complete and utter dominance.

July 23rd - Aug 6th, someone finds his weakness and stuffs kryptonite in his pants:  4.2 IP, 23.14 ERA, .556 BAA

Aug 10th - Sept 1st, Metropolis is saved:  10.2 IP, ERA 0.00, 15/2 K/BB

It's inexplicable.  There's no middle ground with him -- he flips a switch between being Mariano Rivera for a stretch of 2-3 weeks to Joe Blanton pitching with his left hand for another week or two.

that's because he's not a closer. I would imagine that most good middle relievers numbers would look similar if they were left out there to try and get the last out with no one to replace them. Yet they usually have backup. Whe he hits one of his patented rough patches, you just take him out of the game if he doesn't have it. As the closer, rain or shine he gets left out there till he wins the game or blows the save.

It's why, in my opinion, that one of the most important pieces this off season is a closer. Or at least a reliever that is fairly consistent on a daily basis.

It's frankly why I think advanced metrics don't do the closers role justice. They get assigned the same as other relievers. Other key outs may be more important or 'higher leverage' than the three that come in the ninth, but no one takes being unprotected into account.

That said, those additional 'important' outs also require another very good player. It's why I think that in addition to needing a closer, we need at least one additional guy. One that can contribute in those scenarios. Its why halos pens used to be so damn good. Percy/Krod and Shields. We had those two guys for a very long time.