• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Time to trade Vargas?

HBMike

The more he pitches like he did today, the higher his price tag will be. He's been consistently solid all season. I think someone will offer 5yr/$65M

We should extend him a qualifying offer. The first round pick we receive will be far more valuable than a prospect we get back in a trade.

Edited by SoWhat

The more he pitches like he did today, the higher his price tag will be. He's been consistently solid all season. I think someone will offer 5yr/$65M

We should extend him a qualifying offer. The first round pick we receive will be far more valuable than a prospect we get back in a trade.

Agree.

You don't get a first round draft pick ... you get a compensatory pick at the end of the first round.

They can still sign him in the offseason, but I hope they can pull something off and get a decent prospect for him. What do you think, trade him or hold on to him?

So you are going to trade a guy who is owed roughly $1.4 million for the last month, an impending free agent, for who? Who is going to give up a "decent prospect" for an impending free agent who just came back from a blood clot issue?  Bigger question is, do the Angels offer him a qualifying offer (roughly $13.5-14 million) for next year.  I say yes.  If he accepts, you have Weaver, Wilson, Vargas, Richards and Sappington (Cardinals start youngsters, no reason why the Angels can't fold them into the starting lineup).  If he declines the offer and signs elsewhere, you go with Weaver, Garza, Wilson, Richards, Sappington.  Luxury tax be damned.  Club has to fix the starting pitching.  Thoughts?

If he accepts, you have Weaver, Wilson, Vargas, Richards and Sappington (Cardinals start youngsters, no reason why the Angels can't fold them into the starting lineup). If he declines the offer and signs elsewhere, you go with Weaver, Garza, Wilson, Richards, Sappington. Luxury tax be damned. Club has to fix the starting pitching. Thoughts?

Sorry, but that's pretty dumb. You can't just throw young guys in a rotation and bank on them to be successful just because another club has done it. Guys like Miller, Wacha and Martinez are on a whole 'nother level than Richards and Sappington.

Edited by SoWhat

Keep him, give him a qualifying offer and try to get a new deal. If he re-signs, great. If he accepts the qualifying offer, great. If he declines it, fine, We get an extra pick.

Trading him at this point wouldn't make sense. We'd get back a prospect that may or may not work out, but we don't get the fallback of the qualifying offer and extra draft pick.