• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Time to trade Vargas?

HBMike

Keep him, give him a qualifying offer and try to get a new deal. If he re-signs, great. If he accepts the qualifying offer, great. If he declines it, fine, We get an extra pick.

Trading him at this point wouldn't make sense. We'd get back a prospect that may or may not work out, but we don't get the fallback of the qualifying offer and extra draft pick.

Isn't a qualifying offer something like 14 or so million? Yeah, not sure that is in the cards.

Sorry, but that's pretty dumb. You can't just throw young guys in a rotation and bank on them to be successful just because another club has done it. Guys like Miller, Wacha and Martinez are on a whole 'nother level than Richards and Sappington.

alright, so what's your plan?  how do you keep this team from sucking for the next 3-5 years?

Re-sign him, decent/solid lefties don't grow on trees. He's been real solid at home the past several years, and is getting better on the road.

I'd go 4 years/$50 million, if needed.

He's only 34 in 2017.

I was thinking that they should offer him 4/40, but going to 4/50 is acceptable for him.  He is an underrated pitcher.  I'm glad we have him.

Weaver

Wilson

Pitcher Via Trade/Garza/Lester

Vargas

Richards

I like that rotation.

The Angels would be insane not to offer him a qualifying offer.  With how weak the market is, some team will certainly offer him at least 3 years, meaning that even if the Angels don't want to make him a multi-year offer they will in all likelihood still net a draft pick.

And in the "worst" case scenario, he accepts the qualifying offer and you have him for another year with minimal risk (or you trade him at that point).