• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Astros closing in on $100 million in profits for 2013

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/houston-astros-worst-record-baseball-making-most-money-175023013.html

Seems like any year now, they can start becoming a player for FAs. 

If Jim Crane is smart though he learned from Arte Moreno's mistakes, and will not go crazy over 32 year-olds in decline and still give them massive contracts.

I wonder if AO manages to shoehorn Arte Moreno mentions into his daily conversation. OTHER PERSON: I need to get some new tires for my car. AO: If Arte Moreno was buying tires they'd only have 30% wear left on them and he'd pay twice their actual value!

Edited by Glen

Are you kidding AO?  Dude is making money.  Why would he sign big name FA?

Not avoid ALL FAs, but unlike Arte Moreno be smart which ones he pursues.

The next few years will tell if he's only in it to make money, or in it to both win and make money.

Edited by Angel Oracle

I wonder if AO manages to shoehorn Arte Moreno mentions into his daily conversation. OTHER PERSON: I need to get some new tires for my car. AO: If Arte Moreno was buying tires they'd only have 30% wear left on them and he'd pay twice their actual value!

Anything to get out the message about signing aging superstars to big money and messing up the franchise.

At least listen to the scouts Moreno employs, who I would hope saw Hamilton and Pujols going into decline before being signed.

If they didn't, that's also part of the problem (scouts). 

Anything to get out the message about signing aging superstars to big money and messing up the franchise.

At least listen to the scouts Moreno employs, who I would hope saw Hamilton and Pujols going into decline before being signed.

If they didn't, that's also part of the problem (scouts). 

do you really think that's what is happening by you posting here?

With $80M coming from their TV deal this year alone.

Talk about having a cash cow.

Part of the discussion on sports talk radio here this afternoon was about that very thing. The $80M may be a phantom profit, since it is guaranteed to the team by a network created by and owned by the team.

Low payroll, I'm sure they still have some bankruptcy debts/ payouts to deal with and many of the profits are from the network deal which is why the new ownership was approved by MLB and the bankruptcy court -- because they could bring solvency to the club and pay off some of the spurned debtors -- including their stadium landlord.........

Good for Houston, but they're a long way from spending a lot of money on F/A's ........perhaps they should lure Billy Beane away from Oakland......

I expect them to bank profit now to allow them to sign prospects long term in a similar fashion to what the Rays did with Longoria and others. This will also allow them to add a major piece if needed in an upcoming option. Talk about massive payroll flexibility -- the exact opposite of Arte's Halos.

True, but the astros have been irrelevant for a long time.

Arte could trade trout now and completely restock the farm. Then trade kendrick, aybar trumbo, etc and get mid grade prospects.

Then we would have a great farm, and create more profit. And we would suck for a bit. Like the astros.

Bottome line, the angels are having their worst year in over a decade. The fans are getting ready to riot. Would the same fans be patient enough to standby for 5 years while we make money but suck?