• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Anyone else think Sosh is toast

ghoetke

Why would Scioscia need to be fired?  Why can't he be promoted or traded to the large number of teams lined up at the door for his services?  I think Arte can remove Scioscia without eating any $$, not that it would matter.

Promotion is something that Scioscia would have to agree to.  Trading is a possibility.

How many are confident that with a healthy team, plus one new starter and one new closer, that Scioscia/Butcher can have this team back to playing well over .500 baseball?   I'm not.

And don't say the talent isn't there.    Is their a lot of talent in Cleveland?   Yet they are 11 games over .500.

LaRussa (age 69 during the 2014 season) wouldn't be the first around 70 year-old to succeed in a short term as manager.

Jack McKeon won a WS for the Fish in 2003 at age 71. 

Also, couldn't he be intrigued by becoming the first manager to take four different teams to the post-season (ChiSox, A'ths, Cards)?

Two new starters and a closer and everyone healthy and yes I believe Scioscia can get this team will above 500.  He has done it before he can do it again.  Great managers don't turn shitty over night!  They may lose their talent on the roster (which I believe what happened.  It wasn't a coincidence that the Angels decline started in 2010 right after the loss of the core of their team).  They can lose motivation which has been argued against Sosh.  I disagree with that.  They can lose the ability to motivate their current personal which has been argued against Sosh and that is a possibility.  

However, I personally believe the team over achieved in 2010, and 2011.  They were flawed teams that competed.  I do not believe this team is under achieving, I believe the personal sucks!

The more I read about Dave Martinez, the more I think the Angels should give him serious consideration.

"The game is changing and what I’ve learned from Joe is that you have to change with the game or you’ll fall behind."

The Rays took our bench coach, now it's time for the Angels to return the favor.  The next best thing to Maddon would be this guy.  He's a definite Maddon clone.

A very good Q&A with Fangraphs:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/qa-dave-martinez-tampa-bay-bench-coach/

I like what Martinez had to say, and that he's a Maddon disciple.

I especially like that he expects players to learn from their mistakes, which means allowing them to run the bases a lot and while making mistakes eventually cut down on mistakes as the season progresses.

In other words, he believes in fundamentals but isn't a hard a __ about it at the same time, just as long as they cut down on them as the season progresses.

Yeah, I know he has several years left on his contract. That shouldn't stop Arte...he has deep pockets.

Simply put, this team doesn't execute when its needed most-RISP and they strike out way too often. Don't get me started on the pitching.

You don't need prior managerial experience to manage a MLB team. If you know baseball, have a competent coaching staff and can count, you can manage. Talent helps too.

Possible Replacements ??

Kevin Kennedy

Tim Salmon

Rod Carew

David Eckstein

Darren Erstad

any of those  would do for me.

Dipoto should go too.The Greinke trade is certifiably one of the dumbest on record. Any thoughts who might replace him ?? Butcher and Eppard need to seek employment elsewhere too. Mark Langston, Brian Downing, Darren Erstad ??

I have thought about Kevin Kennedy over the past couple of seasons. He has a reputation of being a disciplinarian who runs a tight ship, and one who gets annoyed at mental and fundamental mistakes. This team is right up his alley. It has been years since he has managed. He has a pretty good record even though he managed teams with so-so talent levels. The trouble is he seems to wear out his welcome. Erstad was a hard-nosed player, but his hitting philosophy mirrors that of Scoiscia and Hatcher/Eppard. This group of underachievers would just po him to no end. I am not sure he'd be able to put up with it.

I like what Martinez had to say, and that he's a Maddon disciple.

I especially like that he expects players to learn from their mistakes, which means allowing them to run the bases a lot and while making mistakes eventually cut down on mistakes as the season progresses.

In other words, he believes in fundamentals but isn't a hard a __ about it at the same time, just as long as they cut down on them as the season progresses.

I really like what Martinez said in the article from my previous post, that he also runs the clubhouse:

"(Maddon) lets me run the clubhouse," Martinez said. "You have 25 guys with 25 personalities, and they don't always get along. I always felt it was my job not to let that get to Joe. Joe's got enough things on his mind. I deal with all that stuff.

"I have a good relationship with all the (players) and they listen. They're all important in their own way, and that's what I always tell them. It's what you do with your skills that is going to help this club. We emphasize that every day."

Maddon highly praises him in that article as well.

i'd like to see someone with the passion of kirk gibson.

Gibson doesn't put up with dumb baseball, either.   And he actually holds his players accountable.   If someone messes up or isn't producing, he will do something about it.  Not just pencil them in the middle of lineup, game after game *coughhamiltoncough*

Unlike the statue occupying his little cubbie hole every night in our dugout

The play and record this second half -- even if we've been out of it -- really makes a strong statement that a change is needed.

I like Scioscia and always have but his time here may be done.

Not sure if the clean sweep would include DiPoto.

My choice would be prying Bud Black away from San Diego.

No Bad Blood between Discar and the Angels. http://articles.latimes.com/2012/dec/11/sports/la-sp-sn-gary-disarcina-angels-20121211

He wanted to manage again. DiPoto let him do that. 

The reason people bring up old Angels players for possible spots on the Angels Coaching Staff is because these guys are familiar to us some of whom are getting in to managing. 

In my humble opinion, I don't think they'll fire Scioscia. Yet Rob Piccolo is probably gone, along with Butcher, Soliz, Gregorio, and Eppard. They need to get a young hitting coach, a respected one, and a young pitching coach. They'll probably look to bring in a guy that they can sit on the bench or at third base to groom as Scioscia's replacement if things don't go well next year.

DiSarcina is an option at bench coach, as he is the AAA Pawtucket Manager. Bench coaches are often looked at for manager jobs, and if he wants a MLB manager job he probably has to have MLB coaching experience. Erstad is an option at bench coach too. Or they could put one at bench and one in another coaching role. Dino Ebel is another candidate for bench coach.

Scioscia needs somebody who can give him input the way that Maddon did, and then Roenicke did. The team has sucked since Roenicke left. I don't think Piccolo gives Scioscia what he needs to manage effectively the way that the previous two did. I know 2010 was bad with Roenicke as the bench coach, but that was entirely a lost season after Morales got hurt and after they trimmed the payroll down, losing many of their 2009 ALCS guys in Guerrero, Lackey, Figgins, and bringing the wrong one back in Abreu.

Anyway...

Butcher could the boot because his bad luck with a bad pitching staff. It's not fair to him, because the Angels have been pretty good overall in his tenure in the pitching department. In 2007-2012 his staff has usually been below 702 runs, and only twice was it more 2007 & 2009. Still, this season the Angels are on pace to allow nearly 800 runs. If he survives it's because they fire the bullpen staff.

The Pitching issues this year are purely due to bad drafts under the Reagins year and a bad offseason by Dipoto.

I could see them bringing in a new bullpen coach. Not Percy, but someone new. They have live arms there in De La Rosa, Jepsen, Kohn, Hopefully Burnett back, and Frieri. Still think a legit closer gives them so many more options. 

If they hired a new pitching coach I think they'd try to wrangle away Mike Maddux. I don't know if that's possible.

Hitting wise they need to bring in two coaches, a veteran with experience, like maybe Kevin Long (no contract after this year) and a younger guy with some gravitas in his playing days that the veterans will respect. 

A former dodger that makes sense is Mike Piazza, don't know if he wants a coaching job, but he's a former teammate of Scioscia, and obviously a premier hitter and a great catcher. 

Obviously Angel faves like Tim Salmon and Jim Edmonds would also get mentioned.

I really believe, that the Angels will not fire Scioscia or Dipoto, but will replace a good number of the aging coaches on the Angels staff with guys who could lead the team going forward once Scioscia decides to hang it up.

Steve Soliz is 42, Piccolo is the oldest coach at 60.