• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Zach Borenstein

25 HRs in only 95 games.  Not too shabby.  Zach has already passed Calhoun's HR total in High A (2011).  Cron had 27 HR last year in 129 games of High A.  Zach still has a little over two weeks left in the season, plus he missed several weeks in July.  AA next year will be interesting for Zach.  He seems like a smart player.  I hope he does well.

Any word on a promotion to AA yet? Or is he still not fully healthy?

He's mostly healthy and has been able to play in the field, go first to third, etc. But I don't think he'll be promoted with so little time left in the season.

For those of you with MiLB.TV, there are a few televised Inland Empire games coming up, if you're interested.

Golden Sombrero tonight.  

Of course you come back here after he has a bad game. Not surprised at all. Could you be more transparent? You say I'm biased. You appear to be as well, only in a different way.

Yeah, he didn't have a good game. Happens to everyone. Every player goes through bad stretches. His OPS was nearly 1.300 in July. Pretty hard to sustain that. Peaks and valleys.

He looked like he was pressing to me, maybe because the team is struggling and he's trying to make something happen instead of letting the game come to him. Expanded his zone way too much. Kyle Crick had it going on, but Zach got himself out tonight.

So basically this guy is trumbo?   Good power, ton of whiffs, below average plate discipline?

I believe trumbo actually put up a very similiar slash line in high A as well.

Zach is a lot more athletic than Trumbo. Unlike Trumbo, he's not a liability in the field or running the bases. His plate discipline and pitch recognition are still a work in progress, though, I'll give you that.

But Trumbo only hit .283 when he was at Inland Empire, and he walked less than 6% of the time. Zach is hitting above .330 and is walking around 8% of the time. Additionally, his walk rate has gone up a lot since he's come off the DL (12.2% in his last 32 games). Their slash lines are not as similar as you make them out to be.

Also, Trumbo's wRC+ was 124. Zach's was 161 coming into tonight. Quite a bit more run production. Trumbo's wOBA was .376. Zach's was .433 coming into tonight.

And just because I know someone will bring up Trumbo's age versus Zach's... Trumbo was 22 when he was in High-A. Zach was 22 for most of the season. I believe Zach is 6 months older than Trumbo was when he was in High-A. That is a negligible difference.

Zach is and will be a better all-around player than Trumbo. And I'm sure I'll be called delusional or a moron for saying that.

But it's true.

ah I see.  Trumbo played in rancho cucamonga, not sure how the park is there compared to inland empire, as far as how the ball flies, etc

Borenstein's having a great year, no doubt.   It'll be interesting to see how he does in Arkansas, but the signs are looking good.   He does have a better walk rate than trumbo did, and the strikeouts aren't overly high.  That was brandon wood's big downfall, swings and misses.  The BABIP is a bit high however (.365) and higher than his career average so far.     Granted its kind of a small sample size, 800 PAs, but a bit of a regression could be in order moving forward.   He also doesn't seem to be running the bases very well this year, but you said he was injured right?   Could have something to do with it.

And just because I know someone will bring up Trumbo's age versus Zach's... Trumbo was 22 when he was in High-A. Zach was 22 for most of the season. I believe Zach is 6 months older than Trumbo was when he was in High-A. That is a negligible difference.

I think August 15th is the cut-off date for a player's age in any given season, so they were both basically 22 year olds.   Trumbo played in Rancho..  While both parks are in the Cal League, Rancho has historically been the better hitters park.  Both teams being in the Southern Division which can make for some wild variances with HR rates depending on the Santa Anas and the sort.

Zach has outperformed Trumbo -- the hole or rather, the question mark is that walk rate, and AA will either expose it, or help to dismiss the concerns.

ah I see.  Trumbo played in rancho cucamonga, not sure how the park is there compared to inland empire, as far as how the ball flies, etc

Borenstein's having a great year, no doubt.   It'll be interesting to see how he does in Arkansas, but the signs are looking good.   He does have a better walk rate than trumbo did, and the strikeouts aren't overly high.  That was brandon wood's big downfall, swings and misses.  The BABIP is a bit high however (.365) and higher than his career average so far.     Granted its kind of a small sample size, 800 PAs, but a bit of a regression could be in order moving forward.   He also doesn't seem to be running the bases very well this year, but you said he was injured right?   Could have something to do with it.

His average doesn't need to carry over for him to be worthwhile.  If his power carries over and his plate discipline improves, his stock will rise.

Man this page took off after I read the first couple posts. I have been out to IE probably just as much as anyone here this season and have been impressed with Zach. The entire middle of the field is solid for the 66ers. With that said, 12 of his HR's are in Lancaster or High Desert and only 8 at home. That is a bit concerning. Saying the ball flies in those two parks is a giant understatement. I am not saying he doesnt have power, you dont accidentally hit 25 HR. I have to figure that some of those are going to fall for doubles or possibly triples outside of those parks though, of course a few may end up in a glove as well. He plays a solid defense which is critical as the organization must get back to that. 

He is still a ways away and I have never liked comparing players to ML talent. It just is a comparison people like because most dont follow prospects very closely. 

Toby, you clearly do not understand Angels fans if you think your perceptions are correct, you couldnt be more wrong. Why would anyone want to see a prospect fail? People spend hours here talking ball, we wish every draft pick becam Willie Mays or Sandy Koufax of hell with it Mike Trout. We have all seen brighter prospects than your brother flame out so yes people are going to be skeptical of what Zach is doing in High A. He is no different than any other player, every day he must prove himself. This year he has proven he can play in the Cal League which is a great thing. Next year he will have a tougher test and if he puts up the production anything near what he is doing this year he will quickly jump on everyone's radar. I can understand that you are very protective about what people say about your bro but you are a disservice to your bro if you come on here and say things like we wish him to fail. I look forward to seeing what your bro does next year as he has been a pleasure to watch this season which is more than I can say about the ML club. 

Man this page took off after I read the first couple posts. I have been out to IE probably just as much as anyone here this season and have been impressed with Zach. The entire middle of the field is solid for the 66ers. With that said, 12 of his HR's are in Lancaster or High Desert and only 8 at home. That is a bit concerning. Saying the ball flies in those two parks is a giant understatement. I am not saying he doesnt have power, you dont accidentally hit 25 HR. I have to figure that some of those are going to fall for doubles or possibly triples outside of those parks though, of course a few may end up in a glove as well. He plays a solid defense which is critical as the organization must get back to that. 

I didn't realize he had hit that many HRs in those two parks -- that's really good info given the HR indexes of 129 and 177 for RHBs there..  To put those numbers into perspective, the HR index for RHBs in Arlington is 104. Coors is only 119 and the best HR park in MLB (Cinci), comes in at 145.

I didn't realize he had hit that many HRs in those two parks -- that's really good info given the HR indexes of 129 and 177 for RHBs there..  To put those numbers into perspective, the HR index for RHBs in Arlington is 104. Coors is only 119 and the best HR park in MLB (Cinci), comes in at 145.

Zach isn't a RHB. His power will play in any park. And I just counted: 9 of his HRs have been in Lancaster and High Desert, not 12. I personally saw 1 of them in High Desert. It was smoked to right-center. Would have been gone in any park.

Zach isn't a RHB. His power will play in any park. And I just counted: 9 of his HRs have been in Lancaster and High Desert, not 12. I personally saw 1 of them in High Desert. It was smoked to right-center. Would have been gone in any park.

Dammit, I knew that, I had been discussing Grichuk and similar batters and my brain was locked into RHBs.  

The HR rates for LHB in those two parks are still stupidly high.   122 and 127.   Texas 117, Coors 130, Cinci 129.  He has power.  He's also been able to up his numbers in HR friends parks..   As far as going deep at HD...  It's not the dimensions at High Desert, it's the altitude

I don't think it changes much, a good hitter takes advantage of the parks he plays in and its not like he's been a little bitch while at IE, last I looked his OPS at home was over .950.   I'm really interested in seeing how his power translates to San Antonio.   Toby, has he been given any indication as to whether he might be in consideration for the AFL?  Your brother and Grichuk are the two guys I'm hoping get sent there..   RJ Alvarez would be cool too.

Yeah, look up a couple of posts. He just found out he's going to the AFL.

Out of curiosity, anyone know how rosters are put together for the AFL? 

Sorry, missed it -- and that's great..    To the best of my knowledge teams try to send guys they are high on given it's a prospect showcase of sorts.

That bodes well for Zach.

Yeah, look up a couple of posts. He just found out he's going to the AFL.

Out of curiosity, anyone know how rosters are put together for the AFL? 

All of the 30 teams are combined into 6 teams which means 5 team squads to make up one team. Players are sent by teams to either get more experience to advance them quicker or showcase them to all of the GM's and scouts (the parks are almost half full with scouts) as trade bait. Most of the guys are already AA or better or highly ranked prospects but even if your brother doesn't get a call right away they often bring in substitutes.  

This season the Angels are going to be on the Solar Sox in one of the worst of the AZL parks the old Hohokum park. The Sox includes Athletics, Cubs, Nationals and Tigers. For more information the new schedule was just posted.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130808&content_id=56359762&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb